Population Management Hunts

5yearcoueshunter

I have a question.
I pulled the below from the game and fish website. Does it seem kind of odd to anybody else that there is no Ranking list? There has to be a list of 5th choice applicants, so how does the dept determine who they are going to call when a hunt is needed if no one is ranked?

Population Reduction Hunter Lists

If you selected population management (5th choice) on your big game application, your name and contact information will be placed on a list of potential hunters. Being on this list indicates that you are interested in being contacted, if a population reduction hunt is scheduled by the Department. Be aware that being on the list does not guarantee you will be called to hunt during this hunting season.

Additionally there is no ranking order to this list, and no licenses have been issued.

Once you are called, you will be given the information related to that particular hunt. If you accept the hunt, you will be given information on how to purchase a license. If you decline, the Department will call another hunter on the list.

These hunts are on an as needed basis and hunters could be contacted with very short notice (24 to 48 hours in advance of the hunt).

That is a good question Coues. I have wondered the same thing myself, yet have no clue to what it may be. You make it down here to hunt turkeys this year?

jeff

Jeff,
Glad to know I'm not the only one wondering. haha

I don't think I'll make it down your way this year for Turkeys. Only have been out 1 day close to home so far. I plan on making it out this weekend hopefully, but will probably go north. You still got one tag to fill right?

Travis

Yup, 1 to go. I don't get real serious about filling that second tag. Numbers seem to be decent this year, but unless I am just really getting into a lot of birds I usually feel 1 is enough. Gonna go out this weekend but it is going to be more of a shed hunting and deer scouting trip while packing a shotgun. I will have a friend tagging along who has never hunted turkey so maybe we will get lucky and I will have a chance to teach him a thing or two.

jeff

That's the right attitude to have Jeff! I personally always felt one Turkey was enough. I usually have a hard enough time getting one anyway. haha Hope you have a good weekend out in the woods! Weather is suppose to be good.

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom