Powder coating rifles

polarbear

Long Time Member
Howdy folks!
I am considering having a new rifle powdercoated for protection and glare reduction. Have any of you had it done and if so how do you like it? I know what the pros are but what are the cons of having this done?
Thanks!
Eric
075313.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Powder coated?? Never heard of powder coating a gun. The stuff is kinda thick, I can't imagine the small parts doing very well and the 400 degree bake would also concern me. Have you considered teflon coating like tefkote by spradlins? I've had a couple rifles done in flat black. I am very pleased with them and completely weather proof.

JB

http://www.jimspradlin.com/

They'll do it in white, red, tan, purple.......... or match your favorite color. I am more than impressed with the finish and their service.

JB

I agree the heat could take the temper out of the action and barrel... not a good thing to do, keep the powder coat for your 4x4... :) I've heard mixed reviews about the tefkote, but the consensus was if you followed the directions to the "T" it would work and last quite a while, but not for ever. You shouls be able to get it through Brownells

Good luck

Ivan

The tef-cote I'm talking about was factory applied by Spradlin's in Texas Creek, CO. I wasn't familiar with a home use product.

JB

I would highly recommend finding a different finish for a firearm application. Our facility provides powdercoat finishes for the medical, automtive and industrial industries. As mentioned the cure temps range from 225 up to 400 degrees which may effect heat treated or case hardened components. This along with the fact that a typical film thickness is 2.5 mils which would effect tolerences for most firearms availible, this alone would make me look for an alternate finish. We also do Nickel plating and as you may know this is commonly done on firearms and has been for over 100 years.

it takes considerably more than 400 degrees to alter steel or steel alloys as far as temper and hardness. might discolor it a little, but it shouldn't alter the structure. but i have to agree with the thickness concerns for powder coating. have some one do a flat black matte finish on it. it's basically just a blueing process with a different kind of "salt". flat black spray paint works good too. ugly, but it works.

I've got a Rem 700 with a stainless barrel that I got powder coated last year .Seems to be standing up well and I'm tough on gear.Cost was 150.00 Can

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom