Votes: 11 14.7%
  • random

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • 50/50- PP/BP

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • 50/50-PP/random

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters
I am all about pure prefrence points. Having said that, I feel that you should have to use them for ANY male species tag you draw.

If you draw a tag, you go to the back of the line.

In a system that operates like that (for deer, bear, Pronghorn, elk) it's pretty dang fair to everyone involved.

How about it? You can split your points up? It doesn’t always take max points to draw unit.

As a resident.

Keep preference points for moose and sheep.

Im interested in the idea of keeping preference points but stop selling them. But I don’t know what all that would bring on.

Keep it random for everything else.

I like the current system. high point holders drop out in the mean time i am seeing 12 year olds draw a random tag for sheep.

i would be willing for 50/50 (random, preference) if they really what a change

If a point system is required, I think Utah's system is the best overall: 50/50 Bonus point/Random
Utah LE is ~49.999% preference, not bonus. Utah LE mistakenly uses the term bonus, but it operates as preference. And that is why Utah LE is one of the worst designs for NR hunters - not the best. The completely saturated preference side of the UTAH LE system is completely broken for NRs. I would hope that WY is studying the Utah mistake and will avoid it, but it sounds like they might replicate the preference error.

Utah LE is ~49.999% preference, not bonus. Utah LE mistakenly uses the term bonus, but it operates as preference. And that is why Utah LE is one of the worst designs for NR hunters - not the best. The completely saturated preference side of the UTAH LE system is completely broken for NRs. I would hope that WY is studying the Utah mistake and will avoid it, but it sounds like they might replicate the preference error.

laffin

Leave it the way it is , it's working just fine.

You're not entitled to anything, you can't steal what someone else has acquired just because you don't want to work or wait like they have.

Waiting your turn is how things should be, call me old school but that's how we used to do it. save the" it's not fair " crap , I'm not buying it and that's the problem with most everything these days.

Wrong

There's a fundamental difference when having multiple bonus points vs multiple preference points. Both UT and AZ have it right, using bonus points for both sides of the draw. Whether the Bonus side is 50% like UT or 20% like AZ is up to the state and how much preference they choose to give to the max point guys. The more points needed to draw, would favor a 50/50 split to get those high point guys out of the pools in my opinion.
The 75/25 split used by WY and OR also works but even there I'd prefer using bonus points for slightly better odds of getting low random numbers based on the number of points.
The straight preference system in CO is a non starter in my book.

Last edited:
There's a fundamental difference when having multiple bonus points vs multiple preference points. Both UT and AZ have it right, using bonus points for both sides of the draw. Whether the Bonus side is 50% like UT or 20% like AZ is up to the state and how much preference they choose to give to the max point guys. The more points needed to draw would favor a 50/50 split to get those high point guys out of the pools in my opinion.
The 75/25 split used by WY and OR also works but even there I'd prefer using bonus points for slightly better odds of getting low random numbers based on the number of points.
The straight preference system in CO is a non starter in my book.
100% agree!!

I would throw my opinion in since the OP asked, but then l would get chastised by a few in the WY forum as a "whining complaining non-resident" for simply giving my opinion on a forum that is intended for opinions/discussions and sharing thoughts/ideas!!
:censored:

What if you make it 50/50 preference/random for residents and 50/50 preference/bonus for non-residents so you sell more expensive points to non-residents because of the bonus option.

Then 99% of people will never draw a tag and they will die with a pile of points and those who actually draw a tag will end up too old to even access the country.
But that will be the situation no matter how the draw system is set up. You can't change the fact that the demand greatly exceeds the supply.

There cannot be any preference component of any of these systems. No matter how small of a percentage is preference. Many of the preference sides of these systems are already saturated and broken. The rest will be broken soon.

I am all about pure prefrence points. Having said that, I feel that you should have to use them for ANY male species tag you draw.

If you draw a tag, you go to the back of the line.

In a system that operates like that (for deer, bear, Pronghorn, elk) it's pretty dang fair to everyone involved.
Why not include the female (doe/cow) in the same draw with bucks and bulls? There is already point creep in the cow elk draw, so why not just put these in with the bull elk draw? Is a cow hunt really any different than a spike bull hunt? I think most states lump male and female in the same draw. Montana has a separate draw for doe and cow, but Montana is in a little different situation than most other states.

Why not include the female (doe/cow) in the same draw with bucks and bulls? There is already point creep in the cow elk draw, so why not just put these in with the bull elk draw? Is a cow hunt really any different than a spike bull hunt? I think most states lump male and female in the same draw. Montana has a separate draw for doe and cow, but Montana is in a little different situation than most other states.

Only reason I said males only is because that's part of why it wasn't approved to be brought up to the CPW commission by the Draw Process working group as a means to take peoples points. They decided that taking peoples points for B-list tags would make it too difficult to manage the herds and there would be a constant changing from a-list to b-list tags. A part of me understands but another part of me says that maybe they do in fact need to be that granular. I got no say in it. The people on the draw process working group didn't even know when the elk and deer rut was though....so take that for what it's worth.

If it was truly up to me, hunters wouldn't get a single tag without using all of their points.

Then 99% of people will never draw a tag and they will die with a pile of points and those who actually draw a tag will end up too old to even access the country.
That’s why I’m trying to keep in the best shape I can. Pretty cool when the old dudes whack a big old ram.

That’s why I’m trying to keep in the best shape I can. Pretty cool when the old dudes whack a big old ram.
HAHA. Sure hope you don't have a little final destination action. But seriously why would we want to save the best hunts in some of the hardest and coolest country for the old guys. If anything shouldn't we try the opposite? Maybe for these super hard tags in hard lands we should give the drawing advantage to the younger hunters?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom