'predatory lending legal?

M

manny15

By John W. Schoen
Senior Producer
MSNBC
Updated: 7:31 a.m. PT April 10, 2007

Mark and Kerrie Russo, a Jackson, N.J., couple raising two young daughters, are struggling to hang on. Less than a year after buying a home in 2005, which they financed with a 30-year fixed rate loan based on a solid credit history, a local mortgage broker began sending letters offering to refinance their loan. A new product, the sales pitch said, allowed home owners flexibility to choose from a menu of different payments from one month to the next.

What the broker didn't explain, Kerrie Russo says, is that this was a ?negative amortization? loan ? an expanding debt that buried the couple deeper in hock even as they thought they were paying down their mortgage balance.

Like many borrowers who were sold mortgages they couldn't afford, Russo says that when she called the broker to complain, she was told that because she failed to read the fine print, the responsibility for getting in too deep was hers.
After coming up with about $14,000 to get out of the downward spiral into yet another loan, Russo says she's learned an important lesson.

?I have learned a new term called 'predatory lending,'? she said. ?And that is what I am a victim of.?

Is that predatory lending or just lending to a dumb person? if the real estate market had kept climbing she could sell out and make money, then she'ld be happy. I think these types of loans are a bad deal, especially for those who don't comprehend what they're getting into.

my question is, should we allow this kind of lending it only hurts our economy in the end with record foreclosures this year alone, dumb people or not ?

ok no offense meant here , but where have you been Manny? this type of stuff has been going on since lending has been going on,,, basic rule of thumb knock 25 to 50 percent off what they tell you can afford,,,, its a bummer people get in over there heads yes ,,,, is taking a bite out of a nice shiny pretty dangling apple illegal? no, but sometimes you find a worm :) half the people i know have mortages on there mortages refinance buy a pool,boat,new car, you name it when and if they sell they'll find out what that lil word equity means :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom