preference point system questions

rifleman

i'm planning on taking my son on his first antelope hunt next year. been a few years since i've hunted wyoming, before preference points. i understand the purpose of them an all,but i'm a little uncertain about understanding where you need them? i assume areas of high demand require the pp. all i remember is the northeast part of the state we hunted before had a lot of private land. what are the high demand areas if you don't mind telling me? i'm more concerned about my son seeing a lot and having opportunity than trying to kill the state record. thanks

If you use the odds page here on MM and put in NR Antelope WY you can quickly see what areas need points. IMO you can draw units with plenty of public land with 1 point or so. If you plan to hunt an area with a lot of private land, and have access to some private land, chances are you can get the tag without any points. You are in luck in that right now is the timeframe to buy points. Might as well get you and your son a point for the 2011 draw. Good luck!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Definitely get a point for both of you. You can buy them until September 30th and they will be valid for next year. With a preference point and paying the higher tag fee you should be able to draw in an area with a lot of goats and a lot of public ground. If you have access to good private ground in the northeast you might even be able to hunt it this year on a leftover tag or be guaranteed in the draw next year on the cheaper fee.

Good luck.

Buy the points, they are cheap (30.00 antelope). Make a few calls to the WY game and fish. A little research and 1 PP in the regular draw will get you into a ton of antelope on public ground!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom