Preserving Antler's from the Sun/Weather

tjsum

I've got a deadhead that I think I want to throw up on my barn. It's a hard white right now and I fear about it chalking up if its out in the sun and weather hanging on my barn over the next few years. Is there something you can put on it to help preserve it from the elements so it doesn't get super bad? Anyone have any luck with anything?

Spray them with a couple coats of clear matt polyurethane. Be sure it's rated for OUTDOOR use.

Last edited:
I found a big dead head nearly 20 years ago that was mostly hard white but just starting to chalk. I painted the antlers with spray paint and hung it up. It's still there and doing fine.

If you don’t want it to weather, you have to keep it inside, it will slowly break down outdoors, spray paint or some kind of outdoor sealer will slow that process but the outdoors will always eventually win. That said, it will last many years even untreated (20+ years) out in the weather as long as it is off of the ground and will develop some cool lichen and such as it ages. I hung up a set of deer antlers that were a little chewed and cracked on both sides (nailed it to the north side of juniper) and it lasted over 20 years and looked like it was able to go another 10 or 20.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom