Pressure ………

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
I’m curious if this year is a special occasion or if the mass chaos I’m seeing in Utah is normal day before season behavior ……… ? Wow !!! I guess I wasn’t expecting all this, I think everybody is tearing around the forest, there girlfriends, wives, ex wives, grandmothers, dogs, cats, donkeys, horses, mules, cousins, uncles, sisters, brothers and so on…………. I guess if this is the norm I don’t belong here ! I’ve done my fair share of hunting around many states but this one here might just top the never again list ! Been here one day, seen 3 accidents, bout got run off the road a few times, if my son wasn’t with me wanting to hunt I’d head for safer country in a hurry lol ! I see what a lot of you guys have posted on here over the years, this sucks !

TRUE-memes-10_17_23-GIF-44.gif_attachment_cache_bust=4523108.gif

I’m curious if this year is a special occasion or if the mass chaos I’m seeing in Utah is normal day before season behavior ……… ? Wow !!! I guess I wasn’t expecting all this, I think everybody is tearing around the forest, there girlfriends, wives, ex wives, grandmothers, dogs, cats, donkeys, horses, mules, cousins, uncles, sisters, brothers and so on…………. I guess if this is the norm I don’t belong here ! I’ve done my fair share of hunting around many states but this one here might just top the never again list ! Been here one day, seen 3 accidents, bout got run off the road a few times, if my son wasn’t with me wanting to hunt I’d head for safer country in a hurry lol ! I see what a lot of you guys have posted on here over the years, this sucks !
Yes, Utah is a very horrible place.
When you get home please tell everyone you know and post it on every form of social media you can please.
Nasty nasty state.
Avoid Utah at all costs.

Pressure In DRATville?

Not A Chance!

PUMPKINS TO THE LEFT!

PUMPKINS TO THE RIGHT!

ANY PISSCUTTER BUCK WILL DIE AT DAYLIGHT!

Welcome to Utah general deer hunt..let us know how many atv's you see during your hunt lol...
I see they don’t care about headlights, mufflers, or anything eles on their quads ! But ………. the warden was just up the road busting a dirt biker so I’m hoping the no headlight crew got it also !

Yes, Utah is a very horrible place.
When you get home please tell everyone you know and post it on every form of social media you can please.
Nasty nasty state.
Avoid Utah at all costs.
I honestly can say I’ve seen maybe 3 out of state plates driving all day in the forest. So ahhh……looks like to me it’s your own ! Don’t worry I won’t be back

Hopefully you are a sounds sleeper. There will be a steady stream of loud diesel trucks, trailers, horses and ATV all night long. Don't worry moat will be gone by the afternoon. Good luck, anchor that buck.

There Is Care for Mufflers!

One Of The First Items Torn Off So They Can STRAIGHT PIPE Them!

Then It's BALLS TO THE WALL Screaming Up & Down Every Nook & Cranny They Can Get Them Through!

Some Of Them have 200-300K Invested For A Chance At A DRATville Trophy!

And Their BS Excuses Are:

I Needed The Meat!

I Filled The Freezer!

Freezer Must Be A Little SOB!

I see they don’t care about headlights, mufflers, or anything eles on their quads ! But ………. the warden was just up the road busting a dirt biker so I’m hoping the no headlight crew got it also !

Hopefully you are a sounds sleeper. There will be a steady stream of loud diesel trucks, trailers, horses and ATV all night long. Don't worry moat will be gone by the afternoon. Good luck, anchor that buck.
I kinda gathered that by what I’ve seen so far around here ! I have no doubt there are some great people that actually hunt like respectable human beings around here but my oh my the rest is a sh _ t show ! I’m more of a low key guy that likes a much slower pace ! This place is not for me !

Funny, I hunted Utah for over a decade when I lived there and never saw anything like you are describing in any of the general units I hunted. I actually had several days where I didn't see anyone else while hunting.

Must have gotten way worse since I left in 2019.

Best of luck and I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you hang around until mid week. -----SS

I’m guessing part of the hooplah today was due to the 70 some degree not a cloud in the sky weather. So everybody and their brothers dogs were out and about, I’ve personally never seen anything like it. It was kinda like an all day parade from one end to the other. Steady non stop stream of headlights coming out at dark also.Maybe I need to get elsewhere. This deal here is gonna really try my patience. I like to hunt in peace !!!!!!!

I’m guessing part of the hooplah today was due to the 70 some degree not a cloud in the sky weather. So everybody and their brothers dogs were out and about, I’ve personally never seen anything like it. It was kinda like an all day parade from one end to the other. Steady non stop stream of headlights coming out at dark also.Maybe I need to get elsewhere. This deal here is gonna really try my patience. I like to hunt in peace !!!!!!!

Before winter comes. It's like that in the SE part of the state as well.

What part of the unit are you in? No ATVs are allowed in most of the northern half of the unit. The only real traffic is on the Nebo loop paved road. Sometimes an occasional motorbike on a single track trail, but not that often.

I experienced the same bullshit in Wyoming hunting a draw unit one year. The pressure and traffic was unreal. I parked my truck in a good spot and we killed 2 nice bucks while everyone else drove around acting like idiots all day. Lol

Northern part of the unit, went in well before daylight. Sunrise brought us 2 guys behind us at 10 yds but they moved, ten minutes later a six pack of fellas walked right into us and started glassing literally 20 feet from me. Never seen such a thing in my life ! In the distance many many other people. Public ground is for everyone I get that but dang…… no manners !

There Is Care for Mufflers!

One Of The First Items Torn Off So They Can STRAIGHT PIPE Them!

Then It's BALLS TO THE WALL Screaming Up & Down Every Nook & Cranny They Can Get Them Through!

Some Of Them have 200-300K Invested For A Chance At A DRATville Trophy!

And Their BS Excuses Are:

I Needed The Meat!

I Filled The Freezer!

Freezer Must Be A Little SOB!
Bess, why on Earth does it bother you so much when others hunt deer for the meat? Many of us actually like it and don't want to or can't spend the time, money or effort to chase trophies every time we get a tag. With you it goes way beyond bothering, it grinds on you to the point that it ruins your hunt to even talk about it, let alone see it. I can't imagine how you manage to field dress one and take it home with you just to be legal. But just remember, you need the meat too, just for a different reason!

I actually like some commotion because it keeps the deer moving even in the daytime. I just find a spot where I can cover a couple of hillsides and just wait for hunters to push them to me. I let the hunters and the deer do the walking.

Northern part of the unit, went in well before daylight. Sunrise brought us 2 guys behind us at 10 yds but they moved, ten minutes later a six pack of fellas walked right into us and started glassing literally 20 feet from me. Never seen such a thing in my life ! In the distance many many other people. Public ground is for everyone I get that but dang…… no manners !
Welcome to utah, I don’t know if I gave you enough warning… Try to find the good in it while you’re here….

I actually like some commotion because it keeps the deer moving even in the daytime. I just find a spot where I can cover a couple of hillsides and just wait for hunters to push them to me. I let the hunters and the deer do the walking.
Lmmfao, that’s what everybody does…. And they do it right next to you…

With over 1,000 tags for that unit, what do you expect? the deer aren’t spread out evenly. They are pretty concentrated. And most hunters know that.

You think this is bad, you should see the rifle spike hunt ?
There’s deer in here ???? Holy smokes coulda fooled me ! I did enjoy watching some elk, coulda done well with that tag on a positive note.

First year not hearing a single shot on the Manti, over 40 years, people everywhere reminded me off the 80s, multiple side by sides driving where there are no roads. I never saw anyone when I was walking 2 basin from roads, no deer either though.

First year not hearing a single shot on the Manti, over 40 years, people everywhere reminded me off the 80s, multiple side by sides driving where there are no roads. I never saw anyone when I was walking 2 basin from roads, no deer either though.
Similar experience for me. First time ever I came home on opening day. Hiked a couple miles up and in, very few hunters but no deer or tracks. The place was crawling non stop with side by sides. They are a disaster, if I were king I would ban them tomorrow. What ever happened to hunting on horseback?

Similar experience for me. First time ever I came home on opening day. Hiked a couple miles up and in, very few hunters but no deer or tracks. The place was crawling non stop with side by sides. They are a disaster, if I were king I would ban them tomorrow. What ever happened to hunting on horseback?
Or on foot..anymore hunting most general season units is a real joke,a regular three ring circus..unless you go in real deep and sometimes that's even a joke

South skyline was a disaster. Every road got hammered. People have no respect for that place. Trash every where you look. We fill a trash bag every weekend we go up there. Then there more the next week. It’s a damn shame what that place has turned in to.

Yep this here deal is a joke ! I too have seen trash all over some of it miles in ! Side by sides, dirt bikes tearing around………it’s a shame !

South skyline was a disaster. Every road got hammered. People have no respect for that place. Trash every where you look. We fill a trash bag every weekend we go up there. Then there more the next week. It’s a damn shame what that place has turned in to.

What are the chances these people are move-in transplants from somewhere else, not native to the Rocky Mountain west?

My daughter and I hiked deep and steep. Still had 11 other hunters in the same little basin. I kinda thought we might see 1-2 dudes, but there’s lots of folks willing to go anywhere nowadays. She still managed to get our target buck. A bit of luck with a solid plan made it work out.
153ED992-8F5D-476A-ADAF-D0EFA7F21695.jpeg

30467BCA-DB9B-4ECE-93C4-AE1E0D17AFC2.jpeg

Anyone bitching ever think that perhaps if we didn't kneecap ourselves 150,000 hunters, counties like Juab and Sanpete might not have needed to promote ATV riding as a replacement for lost revenue from hunting?

Or, that perhaps if we had any clout politically we could address the ATV issue?

Nah. Let's get rid of more hunters, that will fix it?

My daughter and I hiked deep and steep. Still had 11 other hunters in the same little basin. I kinda thought we might see 1-2 dudes, but there’s lots of folks willing to go anywhere nowadays. She still managed to get our target buck. A bit of luck with a solid plan made it work out. View attachment 123719

View attachment 123720
Man, I would worry about some moron shooting my pack goat. Ever had an issue?

Utah was way worse before they made it easier for us heathens to buy booze.

I Noticed Alot More ATV'ers & UTV'ers On An LE Unit This Fall!

Most Of Them Were Following Their Guides Up Main Roads!

Having Guides, They Wasn't Ripping & Tearing Things Apart During The Hunts From What I Seen!

Can't Imagine Why You'd Wanna Eat Dust Following Each Other Bumper To Bumper All Day Long Following The Guide?

But For The Most Part They Wasn't Really Bothering Hunters From What I Seen!

If You had Turned Them Loose They'da Been Shredding Everything!

I'll never take my kids out opening day. This year reaffirmed that decision. Instead, I glassed opening morning for my daughter's hunt. I was actually at the top of a subdivision. Glad we didn't make the 2.5hr hike because I could see 8 hunters up in the bowl we were going into. Looked like a cluster.

At 7:50am, I heard a shot very, very close. Some idiots hunting a sliver of private land between the neighborhood and national forest sent a bullet past me and into a house. 8 deer ran by my truck while I was on the call with dispatch.

Yesterday, we made the hike up there only to find an idiot hunter camped in the middle of the bowl overnight (instead of above it or near it). I guess that's one way to claim an entire area for yourself...and not kill a deer.

We kept on and still almost got a buck though. It was fun.

I'll never take my kids out opening day. This year reaffirmed that decision. Instead, I glassed opening morning for my daughter's hunt. I was actually at the top of a subdivision. Glad we didn't make the 2.5hr hike because I could see 8 hunters up in the bowl we were going into. Looked like a cluster.

At 7:50am, I heard a shot very, very close. Some idiots hunting a sliver of private land between the neighborhood and national forest sent a bullet past me and into a house. 8 deer ran by my truck while I was on the call with dispatch.

Yesterday, we made the hike up there only to find an idiot hunter camped in the middle of the bowl overnight (instead of above it or near it). I guess that's one way to claim an entire area for yourself...and not kill a deer.

We kept on and still almost got a buck though. It was fun.
Dang !!!!! I definitely make sure my son is covered in orange around here ! Even make him hang a piece off the back of his pack !

Man, I would worry about some moron shooting my pack goat. Ever had an issue?

Utah was way worse before they made it easier for us heathens to buy booze.
Never had an issue, but I do worry about it. Have more problems with hippies and their dogs than hunters. Most problems happen at or near trailheads with ATVs, dogs, etc.

For your information sir, I drove the first day before season to get familiar with the area ! No I’m not a road hunter !!!!!! I’ve never been here !

I simply quoted you. But you sound like a lot of fun. Your a guest in my state, either get some damn manners, or hit the road. My guess is your folks raised you better.

"Thank you Utah for an opportunity".

I simply quoted you. But you sound like a lot of fun. Your a guest in my state, either get some damn manners, or hit the road. My guess is your folks raised you better.

"Thank you Utah for an opportunity".
I don’t need any comments from someone like you …….. I’m on a hunt with my son, I hunt the right way and so does he. So keep your rude comments to yourself !!! Understand ? I see your good at ticking people off on here, keep up the good work ???

I don’t need any comments from someone like you …….. I’m on a hunt with my son, I hunt the right way and so does he. So keep your rude comments to yourself !!! Understand ? I see your good at ticking people off on here, keep up the good work ???

Nah. I doubt you'd walk into your neighbors house and start bitching about their house, same goes for a state.

WE don't owe you, as an NR, anything. Stay home if home is so much better.

Your presence only adds to the congestion the Res of Juab are dealing with, so be gracious.

Common decency goes long way.

Try it

Nah. I doubt you'd walk into your neighbors house and start bitching about their house, same goes for a state.

Your presence only adds to the congestion the Res of Juab are dealing with, so be gracious.

Try it
Never said anybody owed me anything, people that know me on here know I don’t care if I shoot a deer ! But I do not like to travel places that have beer cans, bottles, and other miscellaneous garbage scattered all over the forest. I also do not care for people driving like idiots around hairpin curves, or atvs without headlights blowing by me in the night, nor do I care for holding hands with strangers in the dark with rifles. Nor do I care for watching 3 grown men and a young girl bail out in the middle of a highway to blast at some rag horn deer and about cause a pile up ! Not a fan of any of the B.S. I’ve seen here !!!! The state I reside in ………. which is NOT mine…… has that kinda behavior I’m sure but a long ways from where I live ! Lol “your” state ?

And here I thought you weren’t road hunting!

I promise I’ve never witnessed that while down in a canyon away from a road.
Okay…….. do you have your bib on ? I’ll spoon feed it to you …….. we drive to said hunting area at 5:30 am, put our packs on and hike in and glass. Would you like a picture of the blisters on my feet ? I know cheap boots…….We then come out around 1 or so. Next we drive through said bull sh_ t area to go to a different area for the evening hike in. So this is where we’ve seen all this bs. Other than the no headlight atv incident, that was after dark on the way back out. All said garbage has been seen during daylight hours, just to be clear. I have not spent any time in the bottom of any canyon, always been at least 2/3 up the mountain to glass more country. Maybe that’s where I’m screwing up, I need to crawl down into the hole and hide ! Who knows !

If it were me driving said road, I would expect to see lots of traffic on a nationally renowned scenic byway. Lots of people want to go enjoy the gorgeous views on the Nebo Loop, even out of staters! (As evidenced here.)

Listen…do you. But your whole tone from the very first post here was SUPER doooshy. It smelled strongly of looking down your nose at Utah when you’re here to enjoy what Utah has to offer. That’s probably why more than one person in this thread has basically told you to fly a kite, but go do it in your own state. People usually don’t like outsiders coming into their house and telling them what to do. Heck, we are getting plenty of that outside of the hunting community already. We don’t need someone coming here that is contributing to the very problem they are complaining about acting like they are better than us.

I think I speak for all Utahns in saying if you don’t like it here, please don’t come back. Just go where you will be happy. This is hunting, it’s supposed to be fun and enjoyed! Seems like you’ve had a miserable experience, so thanks for spending some money here, and see you hopefully hitting other, better areas of the country for you in the future. Best of luck to you and your son.

You bet I look down on trashy behavior and trashy hunting etiquette, I am much better than that and I especially don’t like it in front of my son……….I expected a nice peaceful hunting trip, with or without wrapping a tag on one. As I clearly stated I’m a low key type of person, just wanted some peace and quiet. None of that around where I was ! As others stated the constant all night straight pipes and atvs flooring it up the highway prevented all sleep so I went to town ! Am I a little foul about it ??? You betcha

Sounds pretty crazy. Prob should have expected it on an easy to get tag. Any Hmong? Or just Mormon?

You bet I look down on trashy behavior and trashy hunting etiquette, I am much better than that and I especially don’t like it in front of my son……….I expected a nice peaceful hunting trip, with or without wrapping a tag on one. As I clearly stated I’m a low key type of person, just wanted some peace and quiet. None of that around where I was ! As others stated the constant all night straight pipes and atvs flooring it up the highway prevented all sleep so I went to town ! Am I a little foul about it ??? You betcha

I’ve learned in life we almost always find exactly what we are looking for. Like I said, good luck to you and your son.

I also wish you luck in your major scenic byway hunting and camping adventures in the future.

I can confidently say that in the last 20 years, I’ve spent just as much time, or more, than anyone else on this forum, on that unit, and I’ve never encountered anything close to what you’re describing. And I’ve seen some chit go on up there! There’s PLENTY of areas available for camping that are no where near the “highway”, where you can get away from the traffic. I’m not buying your ATV story, a large majority of the area near the “highway” does not allow any atv use. The areas that do allow atv use, aren’t as busy as you’re describing. The beautiful thing about Nebo, is you can get away from the crowds if you really want to. They just require a little effort. It’s not hard if you aren’t scared to leave the road and marked trails.

My question to you is, what have you done to improve the situation? Complaining on the internet doesn’t fix it. You obviously have cell service, you can’t be that “remote”. All the good hunting spots are far from where a phone can be used. How much of this trash that you’re finding, have you picked up? Sure there’s beer cans here and there, but I’ve never seen enough to whine to strangers on the internet over. I pick them up when I encounter them. Do you?

Go home. The Nebo has enough yuppies on it every day. Obviously you fit right in with that crowd.

Try it

This is a dumb post. A neighbor's house is hardly the same thing as a state.

"WE"? In the words of the great BuzzH, Laffin'.

I can confidently say that in the last 20 years, I’ve spent just as much time, or more, than anyone else on this forum, on that unit, and I’ve never encountered anything close to what you’re describing. And I’ve seen some chit go on up there! There’s PLENTY of areas available for camping that are no where near the “highway”, where you can get away from the traffic. I’m not buying your ATV story, a large majority of the area near the “highway” does not allow any atv use. The areas that do allow atv use, aren’t as busy as you’re describing. The beautiful thing about Nebo, is you can get away from the crowds if you really want to. They just require a little effort. It’s not hard if you aren’t scared to leave the road and marked trails.

My question to you is, what have you done to improve the situation? Complaining on the internet doesn’t fix it. You obviously have cell service, you can’t be that “remote”. All the good hunting spots are far from where a phone can be used. How much of this trash that you’re finding, have you picked up? Sure there’s beer cans here and there, but I’ve never seen enough to whine to strangers on the internet over. I pick them up when I encounter them. Do you?

Go home. The Nebo has enough yuppies on it every day. Obviously you fit right in with that crowd.
Well said, Bux. I also live in the unit and spend a lot of time in these mountains. I can't relate to anything he's describing.

Just as an FYI, it's like this in a lot of areas up in the mountains, not everyone recreates for the purpose of hunting.

And, if you travel to another state to hunt, such as the one I currently reside in (no, it's not MINE, I do not own it, and it's not where I'm from), you will experience much the same on any seasonal day in the fall.

In many places, they WILL tell you that you're in their backyard, regardless of whether or not your plate has a cowboy on it, a sandstone arch, or red and green chile's.

Their "claim" goes back many generations as land grants from the Spanish Crown. They tear around how they please, and yes you ARE a guest in their backyard more so than any on this forum claim about "their" state.

World of difference, but busy traffic, both oblivious and disinterested whether or not you're there.

So, at least this was in mild-mannered Ewe-taw and not somewhere that hosts forest users from Coyote, Española, or Youngsville...

Animals are way more used to pressure than you think. Shot a buck no more than 100 yards off a moot trail that gets rode hundreds of times of day. Last year shot an elk above a popular camp ground.

Okay yep I made it all up, sure thing to the experts on here ……… but I find it amusing the amount of posts relating to the things I’ve seen……… Kinda sounds like I’m not the only one huh ? From side by side trouble to bullets in houses, the garbage and so on ……… real classy deal !

Okay yep I made it all up, sure thing to the experts on here ……… but I find it amusing the amount of posts relating to the things I’ve seen……… Kinda sounds like I’m not the only one huh ? From side by side trouble to bullets in houses, the garbage and so on ……… real classy deal !
I’m curious to hear what areas you’ve been experiencing this is. Everything is clearly posted and named, so let’s hear where you’re camped and where you’ve been!

"Bullets in houses".

Now there's more than one?

Would you please drop us a pin on OnX so we can avoid this warzone?

Also. May we have your home state, so that we too can hunt in this paradise you describe

Last edited:
This is a funny thread.

All the "public" land where the hell-bent-on-leather activity the thread owner spoke of is really all federal land and NOT state land.

"WE", "US", "I" "all Utahns"...?

This is a funny thread.

All the "public" land where the hell-bent-on-leather activity the thread owner spoke of is really all federal land and NOT state land.

Says the out of stater that spends all his time in the day obsessing about Utah and Utahns.

This is a funny thread.

Not necessarily. Many areas within the unit that allows atv use, is state land. That’s why I asked for him to be specific and name the areas he’s been having issues. Much of the federal land is off limits to ATVs within the unit boundaries.

Not necessarily. Many areas within the unit that allows atv use, is state land. That’s why I asked for him to be specific and name the areas he’s been having issues. Much of the federal land is off limits to ATVs within the unit boundaries.

I just want to know where all the shot up houses and drive by deer gunning are going down

Go home. The Nebo has enough yuppies on it every day. Obviously you fit right in with that
If anyone knows class, it’s definitely you!
You know me do ya ??? Have I ever caused a scene on here ? Huh have I ??? No I’ve been respectful, I posted what I saw wondering if this is always how it is here ??? If you can’t handle the truth that’s your own problem. You really think I made this up ??? I call it like it is plain and simple. Totally in shock and disappointed in people. No it’s not everyone as I clearly stated. I’ve never seen things like this. Is it legal to hunt off this scenic highway ???? I guess no where I’ve ever been lets you do that. The warden had the dirt biker pulled over right after the Blackhawk campground road, no headlight atv passed me right after I met the warden on my way out after dark. And the bail out and blasting off the highway crew that about caused an accident was down by Red Creek. Believe what you want I guess. But I sure as heck don’t deserve to be blasted for it !

I just want to know where all the shot up houses and drive by deer gunning are going down
Ask the man that posted above about it, said he called dispatch…… I got no clue on that one ! I also saw the same pkup parked sideways standing along the edge with rifles a second time but no blasting this time.

"Bullets in houses".

Now there's more than one?

Would you please drop us a pin on OnX so we can avoid this warzone?

Also. May we have your home state, so that we too can hunt in this paradise you describe
Paradise ? Ha show me where I wrote that ? I said this stuff doesn’t happen around me or people would be in lots of trouble to say the least. No states perfect!

You know me do ya ??? Have I ever caused a scene on here ? Huh have I ??? No I’ve been respectful

Really?

Okay yep I made it all up, sure thing to the experts on here ……

Interesting place to say the least ! That’s me being positive !

Okay…….. do you have your bib on ? I’ll spoon feed it to you ……..

Just a sampling. Don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

Stillwater, I feel very bad for you. I love Utah and the people here. I do believe every word you reported.

I have observed two other units this year, one limited entry elk and one limited one mule deer, both units had large camps of hunters, many vehicles coming and going over the roads, both paved as well as two tracks. On both units I had the opportunity to hunt and visit with two individual out of State hunters. Both expressed amazement at the crowds of people, both hunters and non-hunters. Both encountered individuals that interacted with them with what I would call aggressive and or rude behavior. Both said they had never experienced any hunting environment anywhere in the country or the world that companies to what they witnessed here in Utah.

My answer to them was: it’s somewhat normal to me so my expectations are not surprised nor offended…….. I’m just used to it and those of us that hunt here every year have been slowed subjected and conditioned to the current environment….. for the last 20 or more years. Truth is, in the 1970 and 1980, we had in excess of 240,000 hunters in the field on the third Saturday in October and the first hour after daylight sounded like machine gun clatter, yet , with 240,000 hunters a field, the chaos was nothing like the chaos you are seeing now.

What’s changed. Here is a short list:
More two track and 4x4/side by side trails.
Now every family on the mountain, hunting or recreating people have multiple off-road vehicles. Now, many areas of the State have sponsored off-road jamborees that put hundreds of vehicles all day, for weeks at a time, at the same time as our fall hunts, together on the unit.
More hunters have 4x4 trucks, whereas few owned them 50 years ago.
We used to stay in tents, we now camp in 2 story tall 5th wheel trailers and every one in the camp brings there own. So there 5 in many camps.
The list goes on and on.

These changes have slowly changed, a little at a time…… which in Utah we have become used to rather than shocked or surprised by.

Once it becomes familiar, like it has, it’s expected and it’s become normal and no longer surprising or shocking,……… kind of like slow boiling a frog.

In Utah, nearly 70% of our land is public land, that anyone, the follows the Federal rules of use. More and more people are using these lands where as hunters and ranchers were all that used the land 50 years ago. When you have thousands of public users, all using the same land at the same time, it only takes a small percentage of inappropriate or unacceptable behavior to make the entire environment seem unruly and out control.

Now add in a declining deer population, a decline number of tags, an ever increasing cost to buy tags, vehicles, travel trailers, etc etc, and a honest desire to be successful at filling a tag……….. we end up what you and those two folks I’m talking about are seeing and feeling. I’m not surprised at your reaction and your frustration. I wish I could say it can be different or suggest how it might but I’m at a lose accept to say, it just is what is and factors beyond our individual control can ever change it. I hope it never happens in your State or where you hunt. Nor am I apologizing, I’m just trying to explain why you’re seeing and encountering this chaos. Or should I more correctly say, chaos to you but has become normal for us.

Incidentally, both the individuals, that I’ve spoke to, about this same issue, are from different western States and active members of Monster Muley. Very much like yourself Stillwater, great guys, skilled older hunters/outdoorsmen, with many many successful hunts over many years.

In a nut shell, Stillwater, you’re not the only one that’s seeing and experiencing very similar conditions that you have shared with us here. So…… in spite of the responses you’ve had posted , I absolutely understand your frustration.

Bottom line, I hope your son kills a good mule deer and he’s able to take a great memory home with him.

All the best Stillwater.

Thank you Lumpy, thank you very much ! Well said, exactly. One of the biggest let downs I’ve ever had hunting and it has nothing to do with getting a deer or not. I’ve honestly never hunted an area so jam packed with chaos in my life. I hunt to un wind, relax, and enjoy myself. Kinda tough to do when you’re constantly on edge, wondering who’s gonna fly around the next corner part way in your lane or what tree the next group of hunters is behind, who’s gonna sneak up on you in the dark from which direction next time and so on…….I feel bad for the decent hunters that have to deal with this stuff every season, I couldn’t do it. I live a very simple old fashioned life, in the sticks with nothing close by to annoy me but the cows. I’ve been taught if someone is hunting a certain area, I go elsewhere every time, give them they’re space. It’s more problems of todays world than it is utahs. My son doesn’t like any of what we’ve experienced so far either other than the time we’ve had together and the beautiful scenery. I sure won’t second rate the scenery here ! But I think we’re going home early, it’s just not for us.

Don't Throw The Towell In Yet Stillwater!

I'd Pound It Till The End!

Do you Know Now When We DRATS Mention A PUMPKIN Patch What We Are Saying?

The ironic part of this thread is that I reached out to a guy for some advice on another forum regarding a General Unit in Southwestern Utah and he told me to drive around until I saw all of the locals parked and then find a spot to hunt because they know where all of the deer are at that year. lol

He literally told me that...several times during the call actually.

You know me do ya ??? Have I ever caused a scene on here ? Huh have I ??? No I’ve been respectful, I posted what I saw wondering if this is always how it is here ??? If you can’t handle the truth that’s your own problem. You really think I made this up ??? I call it like it is plain and simple. Totally in shock and disappointed in people. No it’s not everyone as I clearly stated. I’ve never seen things like this. Is it legal to hunt off this scenic highway ???? I guess no where I’ve ever been lets you do that. The warden had the dirt biker pulled over right after the Blackhawk campground road, no headlight atv passed me right after I met the warden on my way out after dark. And the bail out and blasting off the highway crew that about caused an accident was down by Red Creek. Believe what you want I guess. But I sure as heck don’t deserve to be blasted for it !
The only 2 places you could name are right along the “highway” ??? that explains it.

Sure it’s legal to drive up and down the road looking for game. You can’t shoot from the road, but step off and you’re fine.

I don’t think you made it up. It think you overly exaggerated the situations and your skin is paper thin. Sounds like you’d only be happy if you had the place to yourself.

What did the “warden” have the dirtbike pulled over for? What color was the truck?

Try LEAVING the “highway”. See what happens then.

The ironic part of this thread is that I reached out to a guy for some advice on another forum regarding a General Unit in Southwestern Utah and he told me to drive around until I saw all of the locals parked and then find a spot to hunt because they know where all of the deer are at that year. lol

He literally told me that...several times during the call actually.
It’s not a bad plan…

Thank you Lumpy, thank you very much ! Well said, exactly. One of the biggest let downs I’ve ever had hunting and it has nothing to do with getting a deer or not. I’ve honestly never hunted an area so jam packed with chaos in my life. I hunt to un wind, relax, and enjoy myself. Kinda tough to do when you’re constantly on edge, wondering who’s gonna fly around the next corner part way in your lane or what tree the next group of hunters is behind, who’s gonna sneak up on you in the dark from which direction next time and so on…….I feel bad for the decent hunters that have to deal with this stuff every season, I couldn’t do it. I live a very simple old fashioned life, in the sticks with nothing close by to annoy me but the cows. I’ve been taught if someone is hunting a certain area, I go elsewhere every time, give them their space. It’s more problems of todays world than it is utahs. My son doesn’t like any of what we’ve experienced so far either other than the time we’ve had together and the beautiful scenery. I sure won’t second rate the scenery here ! But I think we’re going home early, it’s just not for us.
Hope you’re able to stay long enough to kill a deer that fits your son’s saddle before you head home. One way or another, sorry it’s been a bust and hope the next time you come is under better circumstances. Be safe SW.

Stillwater, I feel very bad for you. I love Utah and the people here. I do believe every word you reported.

I have observed two other units this year, one limited entry elk and one limited one mule deer, both units had large camps of hunters, many vehicles coming and going over the roads, both paved as well as two tracks. On both units I had the opportunity to hunt and visit with two individual out of State hunters. Both expressed amazement at the crowds of people, both hunters and non-hunters. Both encountered individuals that interacted with them with what I would call aggressive and or rude behavior. Both said they had never experienced any hunting environment anywhere in the country or the world that companies to what they witnessed here in Utah.

My answer to them was: it’s somewhat normal to me so my expectations are not surprised nor offended…….. I’m just used to it and those of us that hunt here every year have been slowed subjected and conditioned to the current environment….. for the last 20 or more years. Truth is, in the 1970 and 1980, we had in excess of 240,000 hunters in the field on the third Saturday in October and the first hour after daylight sounded like machine gun clatter, yet , with 240,000 hunters a field, the chaos was nothing like the chaos you are seeing now.

What’s changed. Here is a short list:
More two track and 4x4/side by side trails.
Now every family on the mountain, hunting or recreating people have multiple off-road vehicles. Now, many areas of the State have sponsored off-road jamborees that put hundreds of vehicles all day, for weeks at a time, at the same time as our fall hunts, together on the unit.
More hunters have 4x4 trucks, whereas few owned them 50 years ago.
We used to stay in tents, we now camp in 2 story tall 5th wheel trailers and every one in the camp brings there own. So there 5 in many camps.
The list goes on and on.

These changes have slowly changed, a little at a time…… which in Utah we have become used to rather than shocked or surprised by.

Once it becomes familiar, like it has, it’s expected and it’s become normal and no longer surprising or shocking,……… kind of like slow boiling a frog.

In Utah, nearly 70% of our land is public land, that anyone, the follows the Federal rules of use. More and more people are using these lands where as hunters and ranchers were all that used the land 50 years ago. When you have thousands of public users, all using the same land at the same time, it only takes a small percentage of inappropriate or unacceptable behavior to make the entire environment seem unruly and out control.

Now add in a declining deer population, a decline number of tags, an ever increasing cost to buy tags, vehicles, travel trailers, etc etc, and a honest desire to be successful at filling a tag……….. we end up what you and those two folks I’m talking about are seeing and feeling. I’m not surprised at your reaction and your frustration. I wish I could say it can be different or suggest how it might but I’m at a lose accept to say, it just is what is and factors beyond our individual control can ever change it. I hope it never happens in your State or where you hunt. Nor am I apologizing, I’m just trying to explain why you’re seeing and encountering this chaos. Or should I more correctly say, chaos to you but has become normal for us.

Incidentally, both the individuals, that I’ve spoke to, about this same issue, are from different western States and active members of Monster Muley. Very much like yourself Stillwater, great guys, skilled older hunters/outdoorsmen, with many many successful hunts over many years.

In a nut shell, Stillwater, you’re not the only one that’s seeing and experiencing very similar conditions that you have shared with us here. So…… in spite of the responses you’ve had posted , I absolutely understand your frustration.

Bottom line, I hope your son kills a good mule deer and he’s able to take a great memory home with him.

All the best Stillwater.

Good post. Much better than the adolescence of those other three jokers in here.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom