Priceless....

peakfreak

Very Active Member
My hunting experience this week would make a great Mastercard commercial. It would go like this...

Dedicated hunter tag...$175...

gas and groceries...$300...

taking my 6 year old son deer hunting for the first time with me and my dad...priceless...

I remember when I was six and my dad took me on my first deer hunt. That's when I got hooked on hunting and look forward to the deer hunt more than Christmas each year. I've never once not had a good time deer hunting. So when I get the chance to take my boys out for their first time it takes me back and makes me appreciate my dad for taking me out and now I get to do the same.

We were muzz hunting this weekend in a LE elk area. We made the three mile hike in great time. As we were walking along I would stop to rest mainly for my boy. Then he looked up at me and said "dad, why do we keep stopping"? I replied "so you can rest son" then he said "this is a piece of cake, in fact it's two pieces of cake". I laughed and put him to the test. He did great, but as we got to the top he began to get tired and fall back and admitted he was a little tired.

On the way up we jumped a mature 5pt. bull and a couple of does. My boy would pull up his $10 8x20 binos and scope them out just like his dad did. Then when we went over the saddle into the heart of the area it was like somebody upstairs was watching and said lets make this the best day possible for this first timer. There were bugling bulls everywhere. We sat down on a rocky point and just watched the show. The opening act was a 365" monster 6x6 80 yds. below us defending his cows and pushing them along. Then a small spiker came within 30 yds. of us and my boy said "dad call him in" I said "he pretty much is in son" A few minutes later another herd of about 40 head came over the top. There were 5-6 bulls working these cows. It took about 15 minutes for them to work within a hundred yards of us. All in all there were at least 20 bulls with in 500 yds of us and they were all screaming. I videoed my boy and said to him "what are we looking for"? He said "bucks" I said "what are we finding"? He replied "bulls".

The elk eventually worked into the cedars and the show was over. We opened up my backpack and had a ham and cheese sandwich with some Doritos, just like what I ate with my dad thirty years ago when I was six. We headed back down the hill without seeing a buck, but having a great time together.

Tonight as I tucked my 6 year old in I was laying there with him and out of the blue he looked at me and said "dad my favorite thing to do is go deer hunting and camping with you and grandpa".

Bottom line I've hunted over 20 days this year and my boy was there for only two of them. We didn't see any bucks in those two days, but it was the best two days of the year for me. My boy is hooked on hunting like I was at age six and to me that is priceless.

I just wanted to share this priceless time I had and challenge everyone to take their children out with them as hard as it is sometimes and hope you have a similar experience.

Peak, mine will turn 21 in just under two months, and I've been enjoying what you're now experiencing for a very long time. In fact, I took my son to Wyoming on a deer & pronghorn hunt for the first time when he was seven. I still remember how he stroked the first pronghorn bucks hide, marveling at what its hair was like. We did annual hunts to Wyoming or Montana, and then when he was twelve he was back there doing it on his own with me. At twelve years old he shot his own pronghorn, with his bow. At thirteen, he shot a whitetail back there with his bow. Since then, we've shared many outstanding days afield hunting big game, birds and doing a lot of fishing together. We've enjoyed deer and elk hunts, ducks and geese, offshore tuna as well as just sneaking out for an afternoon dove hunt near the house.

Eventually it all comes full circle. Tonight while I was spending time here on MM, he was out in the garage boning out a blacktail buck that he shot on his own this evening. He drove up to a ranch we have permission to hunt, and took a buck all by himself. Other than commenting on what a nice blacktail it is, and giving him a little advice here and there, he took care of it all on his own.

You're in for some great times together. Cherish the days.

Cody-

Congratulations on a great time with your son. I have many similar memories with my father. If you want your kids to share your passion for hunting, you have to get them started when they are young. Good work.

Hawkeye

I'm taking my 8 year old Elk hunting for the first time come Saturday. He is probably more exited that I am!

Thanks guys. I forgot to add he found his first shed horn, a chaulky busted up five point bull horn. He practicly sleeps with it.

I also got to take my son out this weekend. It was great. He is 3 1/2. We did get to see some bucks, a couple two points and a 2x3, I let my sone make the decision to shoot or not. He said,"Dad we only shoot big daddy deer, not brother deer." So we let them go. What a wonderful time to spend with my son. I've never seen him happier.

Peakfreak- that is an awesome story. It took me back to when I was 6 and following my dad around Strawberry in 2 feet of snow. That's when I got hooked for life. I have all girls and try to make hunting with Dad an option as much as possible. No takers as of yet but my 3 year old keeps asking if she is big enough to go with me. They do love to fish so maybe someday I will have a hunting buddy also.

Thank you for this story, it hit home for me being a younger father. I'm 25, this year I took my 4 yr old Tyson man with me every weekend scouting from mid may til the opener of the archery hunt in Utah. I have killed several bucks with a bow and had decided prior to the first scouting trip that I wouldn't shoot at anything under 30" this year...I did come in 3" shy of that but it was the wrong goal and I think I made a mistake. Tyson LOVES going to our cabin to see deer and his favorite animal, moose. He gets to ride his little 4 wheeler around which is a blast for him also. Anyways I am divorced and the one freaking weekend during the hunt that his mom wanted him happened to be the weekend I shot my buck. I had passed up 21 smaller bucks and at least 15 of them I could have shot in front of my little guy. Still to this day I don't fill the excitement of shooting my biggest buck...I think because he wasn't there to be a part of it with me like he had been constantly the prior months. Hind site's a bi+ch sometimes...I think I would be more fulfilled right now if I would have slammed that 18" 3 point at 15 yards while Tyson was jabbing me in the ribs yelling SHOOT DAD!! lol. That memory will stick with me forever anyways but a buck on the ground would have put a smile on his face like i'm sure i've never seen before. I definately want to continue trophy hunting but next year is going to be all about slamming one for Tyson, for his first experience seeing dad take a buck.

PS....so when I do you guys better not laugh at me for killin a spike by 2!! ;)

~Z~

Good Post! I have been taking my 9 month old daughter along on scouting trips and she loves it. Theirs nothing better than spending that time with your kids. She doesnt make a sound, she just takes all the senery in.
She loves to watch the deer and elk walk around, play with the chipmunks, and eat dirt.(yuck!) But, I hope I am showing her the best things in life, the outdoors and the critters that call it home.
I hope I get a nice buck this year and take some pics of her sitting on it. That would be awesome! I can see the look on her face already, and that grin!!
Man, now I really want to go hunting!!

Last year I drew a LE Elk tag and it was just me and my 12 year old son when I shot my bull. We still talk about that experience all the time and it has been over a year.

I remember as a kid being with my father when I was 5 years old and he had a spike deer come running up the trail to within 5 yards and he never pulled the trigger. It wasn't until I was older that I finally forgave him, if he would have pulled the trigger, it would have been nothing but blood everywhere.

I love hunting with my Daughters and Son, there is nothing greater and the conversations that happen in the mountains don't happen when I'm in the city.

Cast_n_blast

That is an awesome story! You have a hunting partner for life now man! NOTHING better than that! Thank you for sharing! My son officially starts hunting saturday on the duck hunt! There is no looking back now! I can't wait!

I had the same experience, but from the other standpoint. I was the boy taking my dad on my LE hunt this year. It was the first time I have hunted with him in a very long time. We had a blast, did not kill one, but had a blast. Easily the best hunt I have ever been on. If I would of smoked a gagger bull it would of been better. I liked the post.

CC

Good post! I took my ten year old dove hunting this year and had the time of my life. It's important to get them kids involved while they are young.

Told him if he rode this wild donkey in the peach days rodeo for 4 seconds I'd buy him a shotgun....truth is I had already bought it. He stuck that old burro for almost 4 seconds. Here is a 5 second clip from his blog.Yea, he's ten and has his own blog......my wife may have had something to do with that.

http://joshuamnielson.blogspot.com/

Mike

Awesome story that is what it is all about. Last year my boy was with me for six weeks and my girl for four weeks. Hunting with the family at your side is a piece of heaven.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-08 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]Great account Peakfreak. You guys with boys are lucky Im doomed with female only sperm, lol.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-08 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]

Considering the fact that I live in California, I have done a pretty good job of raising my son in the outdoor tradition.

Congrats to the dads that care enough to take the time to share the passion.

(All Hunts & Fishing trips Guided.....(By Dad!)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/3-16.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/2-15.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/th-1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/5-5.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/thomas-2.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/t2-2.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/th.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/t2-1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/m-1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/kid.jpg[/IMG]

10-4 Harry...when I die I want to come back as one of your boys...that kid has it made..my hats off to you.

PeakFreak you are such a stud!
I wanna be one of your boys right now...wanna adopt me?
------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-08 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]
Looks like HunterHarry and I have started a battle... :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Let's see some more parent and kids pictures.

Couldn't agree more! My most satisfying hunts have been those that I spend with my son. Can't wait, our eneral season deer hunt opens this Saturday, we'll be lookin' for a good buck for him, then he's back to school, and I'll be out hunting for my buck.

Good luck to all of you father and son/daughter teams out there, have fun, be safe, take lots of pics, and build memories.

Here's some pics.

Gavin's '07 bull (first elk)
DSCN1878.jpg

Gavin's '06 buck (first deer)
DSCN1603.jpg

My '05 buck (his first deer hunt)
0632885-R1-022-9A.jpg

C&B,
Ain't no war at all.
Just doin what we do.
I've shared the best times of my life with my son.
Wouldn't trade it for the world....

7-3.jpg

t8-1.jpg

HPIM1994.jpg

tbt-1.jpg

thomas-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

t1-1.jpg

tom-1.jpg

t-2.jpg

vv.jpg

HPIM1916.jpg

v1.jpg

t10-1.jpg

HPIM2131.jpg

15dk3.jpg

98310374zk9.jpg

mm1xp3.png

p2kk8.jpg

tho4kq2.jpg

th1at5.jpg

c21sa.jpg

There is just something about a seeing those 60-85 lb kids standing knee deep in a river holding salmon half their size that gets my heart pumping!

You guys are doing a great job with those kids! Great success! I'll bet they are spoiled!

Don't tell BCBOY about this thread or it will be over 500 posts long!!!!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Ok, that picture with the pop gun and deer cracked me up, I loved it!!!!!

I'll see if I can round up some more pictures.

Come others, post some of your pictures with your kids!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom