primer cap questions

txhunter58

Long Time Member
I shoot a 54 caliber T/C renegade using no. 11 primers. With a standard size nipple, what are the best primers to use? Remington advertizes that theirs have 40% more flame volume. Anyone know this to be true? Any others that you would suggest for a standard size nipple? I hate to change to a bigger nipple because the one I have has an "O" ring on its base. You then slide a brass piece over the top and it serves as a weather proofer and a gun safety.

I really like this setup, so I am hesitant to switch to bigger nipples and caps, but I have a friend that switched to a musket nipple/caps and says he has never had a misfire since. I have never had one in the field, but usually have some hangfires after 3-4 shots on the range.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have reliable ignition with my 54 T/C Renegades using the standard nipples and CCI percusion caps with FFg Elephang brand blackpowder. If I feel that I need a little more flame to get it started I also use CCI magnum #11 caps.

Fouling in the channel that the ignition flame travels through to the powder charge could be the cause of your hangfires, but you did not mention what kind of powder you are using.

Tom Krupinski
Glendale, Arizona

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-02 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]I use 110gr. pyrodex select powder with a 405 gr black belt bullet. I get great accuracy with this. I am sure that it may be fouling in the channel after several shots. After loading, I also always remove the nipple and pour a few grains of pyrodex into the channel.

Also, on searching on back pages of this forum, I discovered almost the exact question that was answered by Bulelk and Tom_krupinski. I think I will try the RWS Dynamit Nobel caps and be sure my channel is clean. Thanks Bluelk and Tom

txhunter58

I have to agree that the RWS caps are the best there are for consistent ignition. Switched to them almost 20 years ago and have not had misfires or hangfires since. Also, a word of caution here for you. Priming the flash channel and screwing the nipple back in can be very hazardous! Black powder, especially, can be very pressure/friction sensitive in the threads as can any of the substitute powders. Do you really want to take a chance (however slight) on an accidental discharge? Be careful, have fun, and enjoy muzzleloading for the great sport that it is.

In my Renegade I use Musket Caps, however I also have had trouble at the range with slight hangfires. My technique at the range is to run a cleaning patch with windex on it in between every shot. I've found that my Renegade does real good with this but I MUST fire a cap after running the patch and before reloading. If I don't I will more than likely have a delay in ignition. I have not had a single hangfire when I follow these steps. I shoot 110 gr of pyrodex RS behind a 348 gr Powerbelt.

You are on the right track I think txhunter with the RWS caps. I have used them for over 20 years and they are great in wet or dry weather. I have used pyrodex in the past with mixed results as in hang & misfires. After changing my nipple to a sure fire. Which is just a reg. nipple with a small hole drilled in the side. I had better results. But since pyrodex is harder to ignite, I only use Goex 3FFF BP in all my rifles reguardless of cal. I know that some manufactors recommend 2FF for 50 cal. and up but they are full of it. Any modern rifle in good shape will fire better with 3FFF with no problems handling the extra pressure. Plus 3FFF will give you better down range accuracy and fps. Just give it a try. I dare you guys to prove me wrong. While I highly recommend 3FFF in any rifle cal. I will not recommend 4FFFF for anything but priming powder. Now I'm rambling and off subject. Sorry. Using 3FFF powder & RWS caps is the combo that I have had the best results. Flintlocks are a whole different story for another time. On the range, I only use a brush to swab the bore after 2 or 3 shots. And before I load my hunting round. I always fire 1 or 2 caps with the bore pointed at a leaf or blade of grass to make sure the breech is clear. If the leaf doesn't move then you have a problem. I then pour the powder into the barrel and tap it several times with the palm of my hand at the lock. Then load the ball snuggly. This settles the powder into the breech with no settling away from the ball during the trip to the stand. By doing this, I have had no snapped caps or misfires while hunting. Uh, well, none but that one time I set through a rain storm and my cap didn't fire. After that, I started changing to new caps in wet weather periodicaly. WAKE up guys, I'm though rambling this time. Longhunter

I am having trouble finding a retailer of RWS caps. Any suggestions in the San Antonio or Austin, Tx area? I checked on getting some shipped and the minimum was 1000 caps plus a $20 hazadardous shipping fee (total $55).

txhunter58

Last year while I was in Matagorda, I went to the gun shop in Wharton and they carried them. Can't help on San Antonio thuogh.

Thanks blue, however, that didn't take me to their website. I did call them though and they didn't have any retailers within an easy drive of my town. I guess I will stick with #11 CCI Magnums.

txhunter58

hunter58: Sorry about that; it has been awhile. The website is www.dnrws.com. There are a couple of catalogs that carry them, and I will try to find them for you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom