Productive Input Please

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
There is a lot of back and forth going on in this forum with regard to New Mexico's tag allotments and management programs. I pick the occasional helpful tidbit of information out of the bickering quagmire, but the bottom line is that it seems no one is getting much settled. The one thing we can all agree on is that New Mexico falls short on its general big game/hunting management. We can blame it on the F&G, the Governor, organizations with distinct philosophies, residents, nonresidents, ranch owners, or our own personal preferences. Our system could obviously be much better but we need some positive input to get it there.

So, let's hear from non-residents about what state you are from and why your state's game management program and tag allocation allotment does or does not work. Also (and aside from species obviously absent from NM), what opportunities/tag allotments does your home state offer me, the nonresident hunter from New Mexico that New Mexico does not offer you? How does your state or department of fish and game maintain economic viability with its current nonresident tag allocation?

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

First off i am a newly transplanted New Mexico resident (moved here last summer), last 4 years I lived in Alaska, 7 years before that I lived in Texas and before that I grew up in West Virginia. I hunted in WV from about the time I could shoot a rifle on my own. There were no tags or draw type hunts, most everyone hunted and as long as you respected each other, usually it was a handshake to hunt on each others property. I applied one season in Alaska and drew goose eggs, it was my next to last year up there, work prevented me from trying to hunt other years and I was trying to draw the tags that were very close to my house or the coveted buffalo tags they offer there. Alright the one thing I would like to see done with some of the LE/quality/high demand tags out there is put winners onto a list and regulate them to a 2-4 year wait period before they can draw that particular tag again. Many of the tags in Alaska were like that, practically all the Grizzly tags for Kodiak were that way. All the wildlife management areas for Dall sheep are that way. So let's say you get a really great tag for unit X for elk and you harvest one, you go on a waiting list for unit X for elks for 4 years, but you can still apply for tags in unit A, B, and C for elk until the time that you can apply to unit X again for elk. It doesn't cut everyone out of hunting, it just restricts the number of guys drawing consecutive tags for the same species and same unit. I know that it isn't the best solution, but it is somewhat more fair than what is the current method. I know my suggestion was a bit winded, sorry about that.
WVBOWAK

Being from Kansas we basicly give permits to all NR that apply.For a long time we didn't allow NR deer hunting then Kansas was threatened to be sued by a NM outfitter that is known for his this type of dealings.Then if I remember right he was going to sue NM to get them to set the ratio of permits to guides at a set rate.I think states should have the right to set their tag numbers but Kansas doesn't do crap to help manage they deer except by money.I will miss hunting and spending my money in NM if I don't draw but CO will like to get it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom