Products.

Cass

Very Active Member
Well Guys, my elk hunt ended unsuccessful but in a sence it wasn't I learned so much about elk and for it being my first big bull elk hunt I had the chance to try all the new products I could get my hands on. I'm just going to give you guys my opinion on some of these products so that if you have the oportunity as I did you can get some good products and not waste your money. Ok, First on elk calls, Primos tubes worked alright but the bulls seemed to get educated to those really quick, I tried almost every Primos Elk Diaphram I could find in vegas / ely and the single reed Cow / Herd bull diaphram is an excellent call for getting bulls to come in, Real simple to use and you don't feel the tingle on the top of your mouth due to the metal plate. For cow calls I tried everyone on the market. The best cow call I have ever used I found in ely. This call is amazing, I forgot who it is made by but it is called the Sleezy Cow. If you are hunting big bulls in the rut, Get this call and learn to use it. An amazing call!.
Now to scents, Basically every cow in heat scent I came across worked, got bulls in close.
Decoys, I only used them for a few days but these montana decoys are EXCELLENT products, I would recommend them to ANYONE who is hunting the bulls in the rut, Set them up in a field with 4-5 shooting lanes and some cow in heat scent around them and your set.
Ok now to clothing.
I learned alot from Guy this past week. Now elk do see in black and white but they also see the phosphate that is in clothing and it shines to them like a flashlight in the eye. Now if you get some new clothes before a hunt MAKE sure you wash them with just soap and water. Don't use any conditioner no matter even if it is unscented because it will NOT remove the phosphate. They make a detergent called NO UV. If you get some new clothing before a hunt get this stuff. Removes the phosphate while keeping the clothes looking bright to you but not to the elk.
Now elk see movement REALLY easy, if you are going to be hunting elk it really doesn't matter what kind of camo you are going to be using, but somthing I would recommend would be some sort of shaggy suit. The break up leaves that have the netting. Excellent products no matter what. Elk can sence movement REALLY easy and if you are able to get your hands on a facemaks like it you are set. You can see out of it and it allows you to be more mobile due to the fact the clothe is camoed and already moving with the wind.
Now to scent removers.
I went up there with a bottle of Carbon blast,
I WOULD NOT recommend this stuff to anyone. It is said to be a great product but I know for a fact that after 4-5 days in the hills you begin to get that stench and I sprayed this stuff on it and it had no affect on my clothes or skin.
While im on this subject I WOULD recommend Scent Killer, This stuff is absolutely amazing. After 4-5 days and that stentch comes up you can spray this on skin / clothing whereas carbon blast is just made for clothing, it removes the stentch immediately. Excellent Products.
Hope this info was helpful to some, and good luck to everyone on thier hunting seasons!

-Cass

Great info. This is one hunter that appreciates any info he can get. Thanks again.

CPSANDMAN
"The Buck stops here...I hope!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom