Pronghorn Quality

Zim

Very Active Member
Sitting on 26 NR pronghorn points but reading plenty of negative comments about the current trophy quality statewide. Wanted to get some opinions if it would be better to just do points only while waiting for a miracle end to the drought, or go ahead and put in for something. I am likely to draw a Sept 2-30 elk tag in Colorado so would prefer an October AZ choice, none of which look promising. Any opinions?

Sitting on 26 NR pronghorn points but reading plenty of negative comments about the current trophy quality statewide. Wanted to get some opinions if it would be better to just do points only while waiting for a miracle end to the drought, or go ahead and put in for something. I am likely to draw a Sept 2-30 elk tag in Colorado so would prefer an October AZ choice, none of which look promising. Any opinions?
If you're wanting an October tag only I would skip this year. The three October hunts aren't worth that many points. Also what's your idea of quality? In any given unit you could most likely find an 80" buck or two. If you're looking for 90" do what Blank said and get a hold of Eli Grimmet and pay him a bunch of money to find one.

Several factors and options in this. How big you looking for? high 80s is almost impossible now. But not wanting to hunt in Sept leaves one choice, points.
Quality is down from 2014.15,16,17 years and stay away from 10 its been pretty bad last two years, they need another coyote cull in there.
If you do not mind eating your tag $. Draw go look in Aug and turn it if you do not find one. Always an option. Rifle hunts open Sept 2 this year so your in a tough spot, or start your CO hunt a few days late as the elk rut will not be going yet on the 2nd. A couple decent units are starting Sept 9. Point guard is good up until day before. Will send a PM with more on where I would go. Also tag numbers were cut in several units. There will not be bonus tags in all but a few areas. Getting a tag even with 26 is going to be half the battle. After looking at it, you will need to apply for a random tag and do point guard option.
  • A hunt permit-tag must be surrendered prior to the close of business the day before the start of that particular hunt. *Note: for the holidays a drop box will be available at each regional and Phoenix headquarters office.

Last edited:
Thank you! Looks like I made the right decision last night, just took my point. I’ve never done that before, but my CO tag really pigeoned holed me. Was not likely to draw anyway. Pretty distressing to watch this herd decline after waiting so long. I would have drawn a unit 10 tag when it was still decent had it not been for that last NR point cheapening split. Oh well.

Zim, I've drawn 10 archery twice. First time was fantastic, second time was the shits!!!!! I drew the second time only to find out later you couldn't hunt water on the Boquillas ranch. It was the first year they implemented that!!! Would never want to apply there again! Mark

Last edited:
The Boqiillas Ranch had a great thing going for it’s big game population, especially the pronghorn, and it’s cattle when the Mohave Sportsman’s Club organized the yearly Antelope Eaters Hunt as the majority of participants hunted on the Boquillas and often pre-hunted it in the weeks prior to the event. Plenty of coyotes were taken out by hunters.

The MSC also organized and hosted a 2-day ranch cleanup each year, and while not nearly enough folks participated, the ones that did picked that property clean every time. It was the cleanest ranch I’ve ever set foot on and a good deal of the trash often occurred in only two spots; one heading back to a Camp on the ranch operation and the other up on the north end heading to and from a tourist draw spot.

I know the folks I worked those cleanups with always had firearms at the ready in the event a coyote target of opportunity presented itself.

With the elimination of those two events and the difficulty of getting on the Boquillas since, one would imagine the coyote population has grown. No doubt the ranch hires out predator control of some kind, but nothing beats interested hunters joining in to reduce the coyote population.

My son has a pile of resident points for pronghorn and has grown tired of waiting so he’s in the draw hoping to turn his points into a permit. We shall see.

I think some of the AZ guides that harvest some of the top scoring bucks are harvesting them on private land? Something to consider or possibly look into?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom