Proposed changes??

S

Spome

Partner shared that he heard Oregon archery going to a draw system for deer and elk next year. Any word out there on the rumored change?

The rumor is unfounded. If archery were to go to a draw next year there would have been press about it already. Typically once they make a decision on something that big it doesn't take effect for a couple years.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-09 AT 01:32AM (MST)[p]Well Oregonbowhunter you are misinformed again currently in the House as introduced by Rep. Krieger is this wonderful piece of legisation.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2700.dir/hb2743.intro.pdf

So here is basically what it will mean. HB 2743 FIRST PUBLIC HEARING: Requires State Fish and Wildlife Commission to establish identical procedures for issuance of licenses, tags and permits for persons hunting with bows and persons hunting with firearms.

Hope you like reading it but the jest is all types of hunting are equals if you have to apply with a rifle you have to apply with a bow.

Hope you all enjoy this hornets nest :)

I understand that the bill has been revised to just southern Oregon. There is a hidden objective to the rep's reason for this.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-09 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]Misinformed again? Sorry, I know all about that bill. First of all, like whtelk said, it's being revised currently. Second of all even if it does pass, which I doubt it will, it will only affect southern oregon. And if it does pass it would not affect next years archery season. By the time everything gets hammered out (if it does pass) next years season structure, dates, tag numbers, etc. will already be in place. So am I still misinformed?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-09 AT 10:05AM (MST)[p]In the original hb2743 if passed the changes were to go into effect immediately. So if the new revision passes and there is another hearing on this on tuesday the 28 and 8 am in salem the southern part of the state will be a draw this year for archery. And if it does pass it will probably not pass till after may 15 and there will be no archery hunters in the southern part.

FYI,
Krieger is a Rep from the Southern Oregon Coast. He killed a huge non-typical Rosy a couple of years ago with his rifle.

I would like to read the revision. The original report doesn't mention the southern section of the state.

This is horrible news for us bowhunters. Yet we have been enjoying some great OTC archery tags and yet still building points for other 'premium rifle' tags. I hate to see it go that direction, but if it helps out the population and increase something resembling trophy animals, I am all for it.

For a dual bow/rifle hunter our current system is a free pass... a get out of jail free card... a win-win every year for tags.

For us non-bowhunters it is a sham... always has been... Hunt every year and still get preference points? What a crock!

I hope OR goes to a full state bow draw ASAP? I'm tired of scouting for my buddies? hunts while I wait on preference points. Maybe I should just break down and buy a bow? NAH, too much patience for a rifle guy? I'll just keep bitching about our system instead.

It seems like more hunters are switching over to a bow, for elk anyway and i to believe it is time to seperate the two and make you pick your poison and live with it. i don't think the rifle hunters should have to compete with the cross over hunters who are building points every year and still getting to hunt their weapon of choice. Not that it really matters with the state of our animals in Oregon and how they are managed. The way it is going we will all be limited to just hunting beef in the freezer section at safeway or freds which ever unit you perfer.

Since there will all ways be some tension between rifle and bow hunters maybe they should make the entire state a draw only. This would do away with general rifle season too. If bow hunters would have to draw then rifle would too. I am a cross over, I like hunting with both weapons. Really though, there doesn't seem to be a good answer to this. Rifle hunters feel that bow hunters get an unfair advantage because elk are in the rut...bow hunters feel because they have to get within X number of yards to shoot an elk it is fair. Choose your weapon and make this entire state a draw only seems to be the fairest way. Just my two cents for whats worth.

I dont think it matters what weapon you choose to hunt with, what matters is that all hunters stick together regardless of weapon choice. When one group is complaining about the other and wants their opportunities decreased if it happens then that group that just lost their opp is going to come after yours. We should all stick together and go for more opportunities not less. I think they should raise tag prices $4.50 (so they still get their money) and make the whole state general again they would probably make more money and we might also kill a few more cats with the increased number of hunters out there.

I agree with the choose your weapon, but I don't agree with making archery a draw! If rifle hunters used a bugle and cow calls during rifle season they would be amazed with the results!

They do use cow calls. One year the bulls were bugleing in the rifle season in the Desolation unit, my friend that had the tag said they would just listen for the bulls and head that way...all 3 in the party killed descent bulls. I wouldn't mind if they did raise the draw from $4.50 to lets say $7.50 IF ODFW knew how to manage the money.

Why make western oregon a draw for archers and not rifle? Why make archery west side a draw in the first place. Stupid, plain and simple.

I hunt with all weapons, if I had to choose it would certainly be archery.
It would be real easy for me to say that arhery should remain OTC because that is what would benefit ME....that said,
I think NASCARR is right, these days alot of hunters have switched to archery and it is not the small pool of hunters it once was. It should all go to a draw and pick your poison.

I would be one of those switching to a bow for elk, But my #1 hunting partner is my dad who will never change over. He is getting up in age and until he hangs it up I will rifle hunt with him.

I also used to hunt with a bow when I didn't draw a rifle tag but I have since sold my bow. I enjoy the rifle hunting more. I like hunting elk in the rut during bow season but I enjoy calling them in for other people. Choose your weapon would not be a bad thing. It would end some of the arguing that goes on. I hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader now not to say some day I may buy a bow again. If I don't draw a rifle tag here in oregon I go to idaho and rifle hunt. The 2nd season elk is when I like to hunt it is cold and you get a little weather plus a few more days to hunt than the first season guys. We could go to a system like idaho has an A & B tag for elk and deer be a draw but make it a zone that includes several units for archery and muzzleloader then rifle be unit specific.

I agree with the zone idea. It would be nice to group together 3 units that border each other and you could hunt any of the 3 units. That would give you more options and different elevations you could hunt. It always seems like the grass is greener in the unit that borders your during hunting season.

If archery went to a draw, I like the zone idea but I also think that you should get a tag every year. Since success for archers is so low, they should be able to issue a fair amount of tags. So I would think there would be quite a few places where you could pick up another area as a 2nd choice and keep your points rolling. Or just hunt the westside. I personally would consider hunting Idaho if I didn't draw.

Back
Top Bottom