Proposed DOW 2008 tag quotas released - Doesn't look good!

TennVol

A friend told me to check this link for the upcoming DOW meeting in Grand Junction at the end of the month. The link is for a PDF document that lays out every hunt code in the state for every species. It lists the tag numbers from 2007 and the "proposed" numbers for 2008. All of the proposed reductions from the previous year are in red. There is a lot of red!

I personally have never been to one of the DOW meetings, but the rumor is this document is usually appoved every year as it is written. If that happens, some tags (especially deer) are going to be much harder to come by in some GMUs this year!

Here is a snapshot of the 2007 tags that were available with the "proposed" state-wide 2008 numbers:
Deer/Archery/Either Sex: 2007/8550 2008/8150
Deer/Muzzle/Bucks: 2007/6041 2008/5571
Deer/Rifle/Bucks/2nd season: 2007/23,248 2008/16,102
Deer/Rifle/Bucks/3rd season: 2007/46,745 2008/10,681
Deer/Rifle/Bucks/4th season: 2007/3520 2008/3230

Some of the GMUs will stand to lose LOTS of tags this year if the plan is approved as written. The area I normally hunt is proposed to go to 805 tags in 2008 (from 1895 tags in 2007). That's a reduction of 1090 tags (57% loss).

The third season will get hit especially hard (a reduction of 36,000 tags/77% reduction) if this is approved.

Here's the link to review the document. The deer numbers start around page 65.
[http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...96-8EFB-F37BB8DF45CC/0/Ch2LicenseNumbers.pdf]

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

>>Deer/Rifle/Bucks/3rd season: 2007/46,745
>2008/10,681
>
>The third season will get hit
>especially hard (a reduction of
>36,000 tags/77% reduction) if this
>is approved.
>

I made a typo on the numbers for the 3rd rifle season.
The numbers for 2007 were 16,745 (not 46,745). That means the reduction is only about 6,000 tags for 2008. Sorry.

Very significant reductions for deer. However, I only put in for limited elk this year (and a deer point) and the elk numbers did not change much.

Mark

well not for us , my son finally is old enough to hunt and the unit we applied for they cut the tags in half for deer,go figure, what a week 1st we sign papers on a house and 2 days later it burns down then we find out this, when it rains it pours

Any reduction to the deer tags in Unit 62 , second season? Or any season in Unit 62 would be nice to know. I applied for second season with two points, but have friends that applied with one point, some in the second season and others in third season. Thanks for your time!

> well not for us ,
>my son finally is old
>enough to hunt and the
>unit we applied for they
> cut the tags in
>half for deer,go figure, what
>a week 1st we sign
>papers on a house and
>2 days later it burns
>down then we find out
>this, when it rains it
>pours

Wow. I hope your luck turns around. Sorry about the house.

no we had just signed the papers 48rs before hand, so they made us a offer. the sellers insurance is going to rebuild it which will take about 4 months and we can have it then or just walk away, so if something better comes up in the next 4 months then we will take it , if not we will try this one again. thanks guys

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom