Proposed Gun legislation in CO

WesternSky

All of CO residents need to be aware of pending gun legislation in CO. We need to take the time to contact our legislators and voice our opinions. The propsals are;
You will be subject to expansive and overreaching investigations for all firearm purchases or transfers.

You will be limited to magazines that hold less than or equal to ten rounds of ammunition, drastically infringing on your inherent right to self-defense.

You will be subject to additional onerous training requirements to obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit.

You will be charged a discriminatory fee (gun tax) to pay for the duplicative background check the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) administers in addition to what is already required by federal law.

You will no longer be able to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense on college campuses, even after obtaining a permit to carry the firearm.

Gun manufacturers of certain semi-automatic rifles will be held civilly liable for crimes committed with their firearms. This is a direct violation of the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

You can write multiple legislators from this link,
http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=co&view=myofficials

Please take the time to do this. If you care to read my thoughts with some examples, see below

As a lifelong Colorado resident, I am deepy saddened to see the proposed legislation regarding firearms. First of all every American is afforded the right to carry and bear arms according to the Constitution. The proposals infringe on that right. Secondly, none of the proposals do anything to curb the violence that has occurred. The only people affected are law abiding citizens who will be handicapped by the law against people with criminal intent. Preventing people from aquiring firearms and larger magazines only exposes them to potential of others actions.

The mag limit for example, i was attacked by a bear. I had a magazine in a pistol that held more than 10 rounds. The mag was empty after trying to scare the bear first,then missing, and finally hit the bear. If new laws are passed and i dont have this tool, the outcome could be very different for me. On the theater shooting, it takes 2 seconds to change a magazine. The murderer could have done the exact same thing with 10 round mags long before police showed up. One person in there with a gun could have saved many more.

The only change i can support is back ground checks for every sale in CO. I dont agree with it completely but it is a resonable compromise.

Please consider these thoughts as you review new gun legislation. I will be considering how you proceed in my future votes.

Sincerely,

Justin Booth

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-13 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]Good post Western....thanks for the easy link to the clowns for my area.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-13 AT 06:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-13 AT 06:27?AM (MST)

"The proposals infringe on that right. Secondly, none of the proposals do anything to curb the violence that has occurred"

"The only change i can support is back ground checks for every sale in CO. I dont agree with it completely but it is a resonable compromise."

Why would you compormise? No need of letting the camel poke his nose in the tent.

Westernsky, can you provide the bill numbers that you are referring to? I can't seem to find them in on the General Assembly page. Maybe I am just overlooking them.

I've written every single one of our state and federal legislatures and there are quite a few who are hellbent on doing away with high cap magazines and AR style weopons. I got a response back of Congressmam Bennet and he opening admits his strong support to do away with these 2 items and grossly regulate firearms. I keep stating the same over and over again; "Do not infringe upon my 2nd ammendment rights and the ability to defend my family and enforce the laws which are already out there with stiffer penalities". This is getting ridiculous and the more they push the more perturbed I get. (If only you could here how hard I am banging the keys on my keyboard right now.)

Maybe a lawsuit against the state or fed's when a criminal is released early for a gun related crime and then commits another gun related crime might sway the government. Heck, I'm all for building more and enlarging prisons.

"From my cold dead hands."

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I have already sent rounds of emails. Thus far I am getting the same response as mentioned. They seem very bent on getting all of this passed. It is unreal that they are not even close to considering anything but bans, registrations etc.

Sad to say but hickenlooper may be the only hope we have... He at least has been very wary of bans, although he is for universal background checks.

I will keep sending my letters and unfortunately I can not make to Denver this weekend.

Again everyone needs to be a member of the NRA and also look at RMGO.

Not sure contacting the author of the bill will do anything we need to work on everyone else.

Feddoc,
The only reason I would compromise is because as others have said above, legislators are hell bent on doing "something". They wont give up unless they feel like they have accomplished a goal. Unfortunately, thats how politics seem to work. The universal background check may be the only item that potentially could keep a firearm out of the hands of someone that shouldnt own one.

ColoradoOak,
I do not know the bill #. I copied the items up for legislation from a email that I recieved. Is sounds like you have already found the information though. If you do have the bill #, please post so others can reference it please.

The two bills I saw that are of immediate concern are HB13-1043, definition of assault weapon (oppose) and HB13-1048, use of deadly force (support).

House:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2013A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersHouse?openFrameset

Senate:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2013A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersSenate?openFrameset

Assembly Home page:
www.leg.state.co.us/

I'd suggest checking out www.rmgo.org and joining if you feel led. They have been having some great gun giveaways lately too.

Also, if you are pro OC, check out http://opencarrycolorado.com/forums/index.php

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom