Provo Peak Mountain Goat

borntohunt

Was wondering if any of you have hunted this unit over the past few years. I only have six points but was wondering what to expect of this unit if or when I draw?

borntohunt

Yes, we hunted it last year. Can be rough, can be great. Those mtns get big and steep in a hurry. You can PM me and I might open up a little more.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I have wonderd the same thing. I grew up in Springville (now live in St. George) and always wanted to hunt that unit. I have nine points, but I am only puting in for a bonus point this year. It is beutiful up there. But I have nver seen any goats. Do they hang around Cascade more than Provo Peak? Or are they on both? Did you see any bighorns up high? Thanks for the info.

My buddy killed a nice goat on Cascade a couple years ago. It was a six hour hike to the top where the goats were in late september. I am putting in for this unit just because I know that I could go to the same area and take my pick. I still have like 24 years before i'll have enough points to draw though.

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-08 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]There aren't any goats on Provo Peak. I've seen one goat about 3/4 mile south of Provo Peak, they're all on Cascade. If you had a tag, it wouldn't be hard to get one, other than the hellacious hike up and the chance of your goat rolling hundreds of yards down through the cliffs. Each time I've been on top of Cascade, I've never seen fewer than 50 goats.

I've only seen 4 bighorn sheep on top of Cascade, all ewes.

My buddy killed one on Provo a few years ago.
Scary country, vertical nasty stuff.
Goat fell & tumbled, breaking horns and tearing up cape, thing was a bloddy mess.
Said he wouldn't do it again.
HH

The appeal of goat hunting for me is that it is more of an adventure, seeing how far you can push yourself, and doing it in some of the most rugged places on Earth. If you want an easier hunt try something else. Goat country starts where sheep country ends.

"Said he wouldn't do it again."
Good thing since it's a once in a lifetime in Utah ;-)

born,

Good luck! I know nothing about Provo, but the mrs is in great shape! 13 points for her so I guess I can play guide again this year or next? She has always wanted to get a mountain goat so I guess it is about to happen! She applied on Box Elder. :)

There are a few goats on and around provo peak, one big billy Ive seen the last three years, but 99% of the goats are on the cascade side.

I took my goat on Timp two years back and have glassed a few on Provo. Fun hunt - not as hard as many say unless you wait too long and the snow moves in.

I'll help anyone with a Timp tag and get you away from the crowds.

Hey ktc, just wondering how well you know Box Elder? My daughter drew it 5 years ago with 2 points(go figure) Most everyone that draws that unit,hunts on Box Elder or above silver lake. I took my 14 year old son and 16 yr old daughter up above Lake Hardy and seen alot of huge billys. Tough to get up there but never seen another hunter (probley why the goats were more and larger) Not many hunters hunt that area. Just a thought!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom