Quality vs. opportunity

Would you rather have a hunt with a quality experience w/ more mature/quality animals (elk&deer)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other - for me I'd prefer a quality & opportunity. I don't want to trade quality (trophy potential) with not being able to go much. I don't want a tag just to have a tag (opportunity).

For me, it's about being able to fill your tag on multiple occasions whether it's a cow one day or a small bull the next.

What are you asking? The thread title is different than the poll question.

Would you rather have a hunt with more quality animals? Of course, who wouldn’t?

But if you’re attempting to ask would I sacrifice opportunity for quality than the answer is hell no

Gotta say I think NM does good on opportunity for both quality and opportunity. Tailor your app to what you want.
Please elaborate on quality portion? And what is your definition on quality and opportunity? That’s the big difference from person to person imo. What is quality and opportunity? Horn size/age? Going out to hunt/camp?

Please elaborate on quality portion? And what is your definition on quality and opportunity? That’s the big difference from person to person imo. What is quality and opportunity? Horn size/age? Going out to hunt/camp?
What’s up bro?
Good luck in the draw!

For me as it is it’s not likely you will draw many hunt yearly lucky to get 2. And in most cases you will not draw your 1st choice that you really want or you strategize on how to draw the best worse hunt lol.

if I am not going to draw often I would like the hunts to be a bit more on the quality side than opportunity. And the term opportunity is pretty broad and same with quality.

I love the idea of being able to draw some lower demand hunts yearly but at the same time I am not for hunting a unit with 500 deer and 1400 tags. That’s not opportunity to me. I don’t need to shoot a 360 bull/ 180” buck to have quality. It can have nothing to do with antler size but maybe seeing lots of elk/deer several bucks and bulls to be the bar for quality.

JMO.

What’s up bro - Thank you! I was strategic this year! First time I did not put an archery hunt as first choice ever!! Good luck to you and all couple more days!
Holy moly ! Let me know how you turn out!! ????????

No doubt the definition of quality and opportunity varies per person and per state. Compared to states that have gone quality, like Nevada, where you really can’t expect to draw tags but once or twice in a lifetime vs opportunity states like Colorado, where you can hunt elk OTC every year (and likely see more people than elk), I think NM does really well blending quality vs opportunity.
In regards to elk and deer, there are harder to draw hunts that have fewer tags and a reasonable chance at taking a nice bull or buck (let’s say 330 bull and 160 buck) and certainly a chance at something bigger. There are also hunts that are easier to draw where a 5x5 bull or a small 4x4 buck would be consider about as good as it gets. The distinction in units isn’t quite the same with other species as pronghorn, oryx, ibex are just plain hard to draw. Changing up weapon choice can give more opportunity there.
I like the fact that we can choose what we want on an app, from one extreme to another and everything in between. That flexibility is not offered in every state.

A good way to look at it is compare Az elk hunting to NM. Az has more big bulls, excellent hunting but near impossible to draw a tag. The hunting is incredible if you draw a tag.

NM has less big bulls but does grow a few good ones but your really looking at 300-330 class bulls in just about all NM units. Hunting is good but not great.

I will take NM current elk hunting over AZ waiting for 15yrs to draw a tag.

Even if NM managed for more opportunities tags your odds of drawing would only slightly increase.

Quality: Setting up camp with family and/or friends two to three days before the hunt starts, cutting enough firewood for a week extra in case you get snowed in. Driving around looking at country, scouting a little to pass some time. Getting acclimated and climatized before the hunt. Eating and drinking good. Telling great stories around the camp fire. Leaving a couple of days after the hunt finishes.

Opportunity: Hunting. Harvesting a legal animal. We’ve never put much thought into measurements besides counting points on antlers. I’m happy just hunting. I don’t need to see or harvest near record book animals to have a great time.

I want both , that is why I put in for a very hard draw on first choice. If I get great but if not I still want to be out in the fall to put meat on table so my last choice will be an easier draw to try ensure at least somthing

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom