Quasi-Poaching

El_Matador

How does everyone feel about "minor" infractions while hunting or fishing? I don't mean mistakes that we all make, but knowingly breaking the law. Examples might include:

Keeping a fish that's 1/8" under the slot
Shooting ducks 5 minutes before legal shooting light
Killing a deer that's just across the fence onto private property
Using a call/scent/product or accessory that's prohibited

I'm sure there are a million of these, but at what point does it change from an infraction to poaching? A bow with a 39 lb draw weight is an illegal weapon on the archery hunt, and so is a 30-06. Everyone would agree that using an '06 during archery season is poaching, but what about the other illegal weapon? I am one that obeys the law to the letter but there are a lot of people around that try to justify infractions these days. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter - fire away.

I'm a letter of law type guy . I think if a person is willing to bend or break the rules , even if they think they are small infracations , its just a matter of time before they graduate to bigger and more serious bending of the law .

Quasi-stealing: What do you think of minor stealing? I don't mean the bank robbery kind. I am just talking about $5 here and $20 there. That is not really stealing is it..........

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shot two too many doves once and kept them. I guess my count was off when I kept reaching in my bag to check. I told my friend the game warden a few month later and he said I would have been pissed if you threw them in the ditch or bushes. Is that stealing or was I being responsible for no Wanton Waste??

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-11 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]If the speed limit is 65 and you're doing 67 are you breakng the law? Even if everyone else is doing 80? Even if you know 1911 will let you slide at 2 over?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-11 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-11
>AT 10:17?AM (MST)

>
>If the speed limit is 65
>and you're doing 67 are
>you breakng the law? Even
>if everyone else is doing
>80? Even if you know
>1911 will let you slide
>at 2 over?

The speed limit is not a law, it is an ordinance....... Like not being in a city park after ten pm, or mowing your weeds to under 6 inches. Laws are enacted by elected officials in a specific process, we all break ordinances all the time....

And then there are codes and regulations. US Flag Code states that one must salute the flag with the hand over the heart when presented for the national anthem etc, but there are several videos of Obama refusing to do so. Flag code also prohibits wearing the flag on a shirt or other apparel, anyone here guilty of that?

my point is, during the process of getting ready for, going on, or wrapping up a hunt we all break a law, code, regulation, ordinance, covenant, etc.

It's not a black and white world. Have any of you ever given big game meat to a friend or family member? did the exchange happen at your home, did you give them a written reciept and provide a copy of the tag......POACHERS

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-11 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p] I DONT LIKE GROUP HUNTING/ FAMILY HUNTING. THE FAMILY PUTS IN FOR TAGS GRAMPA, GRANDMA, 6 INLAWS, AND 4 COUSINS, & THE KIDS. MANY WHO ARE TOO OLD TO HUNT, NOT PRESENT , DEAD, OR DONT HUNT AT ALL...THEN PROCEED TO KILL 16 ANIMALS....THIS IS BULLCHIT.......MY 2 CENTS..........YD.

Andyman, I respect your position on the speeding example. But its a weak bull$hit argument. Not all fish and game "laws" are laws either. Is it ok to pick n choose? How about seatbelts? "Its the law".

Andyman, I'm actually agreeing with you. Just playing the devils advocate. My point is the guy who lives life exactly to the "letter of the law" is an ideal that doesn't exist.

I don't believe in stretching the law when it comes to fish n game laws. But even that said, I know I have. Shooting early/late, that sort of thing. When I was young n dumb. I do try to be a good example and do the right thing. But I'm human.
Let he who has no sin...

Well,Well,Well NVB!

You're gonna Inhale one of these Days!

You wanna Inhale alot?

Or a little?

You won't have a choice when that day comes!:D

Ya,you(NVB!)might be setting an example now,and I'll bet you were setting examples in your younger day too!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

It's a F&G violation to snag salmon on the Kenai River in Alaska. For the most part, the only way to catch a Sockeye is to snag them in the mouth. Once they enter the river they stop feeding. It's a special technique using the right tackle. What they do is technically illegal. It's called flipping, line draging, rip and drag, flossing, etc.

When the fish are in, literally thousands of people head for the river to snag Sockeye. I'm one of them, every chance I get.

It's safe. The fish are hooked in the mouth so the warden has no recourse.

How about you? You in?:)

Eel

How about you? You in?

It's safe. The fish are hooked in the mouth so the warden has no recourse.

Ya,I seen all the Hook Removal Clinics along the Kenai!

They even post out front how many Hooks they've removed this year/season!

How bout it Eel?

You ever get tired of the Elbow to AssHhole Action & Snag somebody?:D

Well NVB!

I tried your Theory on the Speed Limit,it SUCKS!

Officer up in Northern Utah doesn't appreciate triple digits!

You're gonna get your ass pulled over one of these days in your Girlie Truck NVB!

Gonna be for going too Slow though!

"Elbow to ##### action..." now there's an image

This thread is a little like the one about arrowing the white javelina behind a fence with JRTs barkin. Nobody should call it hunting. But none of the self righteous would turn and walk away if given the chance and nobody was looking.

I thought we where talking about hunting regulations , rules , codes , ordance not speeding laws , seat belts and general rule or law bending or breaking but I see the point aand will play along .

Do I think its silly that I can't drive 100 mph every where I go , that I can't own a machine gun with out jumping through all kinds of hoops , I can't have my play truck lifted 14 inches and roll around on 44's , and lastly that I can't have more than one wife at a time . Heck ya , they are all silly and I should be allowed to do it since in my mind I'm responsible . On the flip side I can see the big picture , and realize there are rules , laws , ordance in order to protect every body and make society stay some what in line .

As far as the hunting regulations and rules I was taught some thing when I was just a young pup that stuck with me to this day . Fishing with my grandpa I notice people down the shore where catching lots more fish than us , and they where using corn . I pointed it out to my Grandpa , and also pointed out we had corn in the camper . I was quickly educated that corn was against the law , and it was cheating . Being young I pointed out that nobody else was around , and we never saw the game warden at the fishin place . The way my Grandpa explained it really struck a chord . He explained that he tried to live his life like he was in a movie and people where watching the movie . He said he wouldn't be ok with people watching him while he broke the law or cheated , and explained he would be disapointed in me if I would be ok with people watching me cheat .

Lots of years later I just have a general rule if some thing feels wrong or if I have to look around to make sure nobody else is around watching its wrong , and I shouldn't be doing it . Plus lets take that idea of shooting before or after legal shooting light , if it was a big ol trophy buck or bull if I cheated or bended the rules to get him , it wouldn't mean as much to me when I thought back about the hunt , so why would I want to cheapen the hunt with doing some thing like that .

Of course thats just me , and how I like to behave and act in the field , Just like some body is watching my every move .

. some pepole have way to much time on thier hands.....or ma ybe thier boss time...

How bout it Eel?

You ever get tired of the Elbow to AssHhole Action & Snag somebody?

No Bbop! That's for the poor folks. Us rich guys fish on private property. We have our own 150' of riverfront.:)

Eel

Hey Eel?

Send me some coordinates!

I think I'll take my chances Trespassing!:D

I don't know where you guys live that think speeding is just an ordinance similar to having to mow your grass. Cities may have speeding ordinances but states have speedings LAWS.

Whew!!! This one could go on a while!
I blissfully remember the days when I saw the world as black & white,/ right & wrong/ balanced & fair. Been a long time ago.

Anybody that comes on here & claims to have never "bent the rules" (knowingly or otherwise)is either a sanctimonious liar, or has done a little too much self medicating!

Anybody that believes the game laws (or most laws for that matter!)are clearly written, easy to understand, and justly enforced has never tried to read them.

Anybody that thinks the law enforcement folks always follow the law while enforcing it are living in a dream world!

This is why most lawyers are rich & the courts are overburdened!

"Anybody that comes on here & claims to have never "bent the rules" (knowingly or otherwise)is either a sanctimonious liar, or has done a little too much self medicating!"

To that statement I say BS because you can't speak for all of us that you don't know! The other statements are probably not that far out of line however.

elkchaserreturns!

I have never Broke the Speed Limit!

So don't Judge me!:D

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-11 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]I'm for obeying the law to the letter. Having said that, have I ever misapplied the law? Possibly. It can sometimes be complicated. I haven't duck hunted in a few years, but my recollection was that there were about 5 separate pieces of paper I was supposed to have with me when duck hunting. Some of them had different dates of validity. A federal migratory bird stamp, a state duck stamp, a state habitat stamp, a state small game hunting license, my hunter education card, a HIP card (is that the right acronym -- harvest information program?) I remember reading the Colorado elk hunting regulations once and reading that walking around in the dark with a flashlight with cartridges in your gun can be construed as illegal hunting. Give that some thought. Can you screw that one up? How about loading your gun at your hunting site after walking through the woods with your light on, turning on your light thereafter to dig in your pack to get your binoculars out, illegal? Should you unload your gun first, then turn on the light, then fish out your binoculars, turn off light, reload? Seems like I looked for this language in later game brochures and didn't find it. What about wanton waste? How much meat do you need to take? Neck meat? Every little bit of rib meat? I think some of the rules can be ticklish to comply with. I do my best and don't lose sleep over it if my interpretation happens to be wrong.

I will say I was very nervous after I took my first bull elk. I counted 4 points on both sides but when I looked at the elk on the ground there were 4 points one side and 3 points on the other side!!!! I didn't remember exactly what the regs said. This was the first thing I checked when I got back to camp. The rule was 4 points on any antler OR a brow tine longer than 5 inches. My brow tines were well over 5 inches maybe over 10 inches -- thus my bull was legal on two independent bases.

I leave the proof of sex physically attached to the body of the elk until I get it to the final processing point -- my home in Texas north of Dallas. This is not entirely desirable, in my view, to comply with this regulation as surely there are some unwanted enzymes and/or secretions associated with an elk scrutum and elk penis. Also, I'm skinning my animal and bringing back the big chunks of meat with out skin, but I have to leave a patch of skin on in the penis/scrotum area to comply with the regulation and that likely gets some extra hair into the mix. But that's the law.

How about putting the tag on the elk? I haven't read the regulation lately, but it seems it says something about the tag having to stay with ALL the meat. How can you comply with this when you bring the pieces out separately? I brought out my rack on the day of the kill and returned to get all the meat the next day. Was I complying with the law then? I assume the law must allow you to handle the situation pratically -- in a manner that is "doable."

Hello TOPGUN,
I chose my words carefully & will stand by them.
I didn't realize it for many years but, I was a "sanctimonious liar" myself.

Like many on here, I take my outdoor pursuits very seriously. I make every effort to understand & obey the law. I would take extreme exception to anyone that suggested otherwise.

A few years ago I was sharing a campfire with an old friend and we started talking about some of the "adventures" we had in our youth. He remembered some details I had completely forgotten & I realized that I wasn't always as legal as I remembered. I had been lying to myself for many years regarding some of our exploits. I went to bed very humbled that night!

My point?

You & I have never met. My guess is that your a very serious, dedicated, law abiding individual.
But, I would be willing to bet that, if you & I ever did swap stories around a campfire, I could uncover a few instances where you you bent the law just a little.
Sorry if I offended anyone!

Elkchaser

Oh! Just a couple F.Y.I.'s;
1) Redhead hens look an awful lot like Mallard hens, , ,except to the Game Warden.
2) In Colorado, the head & antlers on the same meat pole does NOT constitute "Proof of sex attached".

Good luck to all!

I have had the pleasure to get to know and hunt with one of the SW Idaho regional supervising Conservation Officers. I grew up watching the first deer I ever saw killed, done with a spotlight, so I didn't have the best education. With my children I have tried my best to follow the rules. I'm not sure I always know the rules as well as I should before I go which I think has put me in the grey area at times. So when I went hunting with my CO friend on a CH for Elk a few years ago, I was curious to see just how meticulous my friend would be. He killed a nice bull that I used my horses to help him pack out. I thought the most likely place he might fudge would be on the placement of the tag on the largest piece of meat. Let me tell you he followed every rule I knew of to the T, including the placement of the tag, evidence of sex, and meat ON the ribs. This man is a good friend and any time I am swayed by my childhood education to look the other way I think of him and try to make sure my kids have a proper example!

PS I do speed, but not more that 5-10mph!

There is a quote I've read several different places that is by Aldo Leopold. It states:

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching"

I passed a shot at a buck this past season. The buck was the biggest I had ever seen while hunting the area over the years. He was skylined, a couple hundred yards away about 15 minutes before legal light. Had I shot, I would have taken a chance shooting on the skyline and broken the law shooting before legal light. I have been told by more than one person that I should have taken the shot, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind. I'm 99% sure I could have killed that buck and been back to the truck before 10 am . . . The buck walked over the ridge before legal light came, never to be seen again by me. No matter, though, as later on that day I got my legal chance at a different buck and blew it!

To break the rules would devalue the hunt and the animal for me, and I just wouldn't get much out of the experience. To take a big old critter fair and square has always been the appeal to me . . .

I grew up shooting tweety birds with a bb gun, many of which are protected by songbird treaties or the like. I had violated the law by the time I was old enough to hold a gun, and I don't feel bad about it. There is certainly some relativism in all this. (a kid shooting songbirds is not the same as spotlighting deer, in my book) I agree, if a hunter has years of experience and many different hunts/seasons under his belt, he broke the law somewhere. It just takes a little looking to find it.

I've always liked the quote about ethics being doing what is right.
Let's NOT confuse what is right and what is legal...they only coincide part of the time. I am most concerned with right.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Here's one I've done a few times in my life.....heard gunshots and a crippled critter has come by and I've given the Coup De Grace...waited and somebody shows up wondering if the animal was wounded...and I said yep--he yours....was I right or wrong..did I break the law by not tagging it????

Hello gb22,
I couldn't agree with you more!
Here's one for our "never, ever break the law crowd".

What do you do if you find a wounded animal while hunting?

Personally, I will never leave any animal suffering if I can do something about it!
Back in 1992, I was rifle hunting in CO with an OTC Bull elk tag.
On the second morning of my hunt, I came across a gut shot cow. She was still very much alive but she couldn't get up and was probably going to lay there for a long time before she died.
Without hesitation I put her out of her misery. I then field dressed her (to save the meat)and was going to report it to the next DOW officer I could find.
Just as I was finishing gutting the elk, another hunter and his son came over to see what was going on. I asked them if this was their elk and they said "no it wasn't but they had cow tags "in camp" and would be happy to tag her"! I happily continued with my hunt.
Two days later I was back in camp caping out my bull, when the DOW shows up to check things out.
During the conversation, he asked me if I had come across any wounded animals.
I told him yes, and while I probably shouldn't admit to it, I did find a wounded cow and heres the story.
I've always wondered if those other hunters told him the same story and he was testing me to see if I would admit to it.

There were at least two laws broken that day.
1) Me shooting that cow when I didn't have a cow tag.
2) The other hunter tagging an animal he did not shoot.

Here in AZ they would cite for both violations without hesitation.
They didn't that day in CO.

The letter of the law isn't always clear, or "right".
Like you, I do try to always do what is right.

Elkchaser

My wifes grandpa was out cow elk hunting and shot a cow. Upon arriving at the animal he discovered 2 cows down. He is an honest guy so he did what he thought was right and field dressed both cows, loaded them in the truck, and drove home. Once he got home he called UDWR and reported what had happened. They came over confiscated the elk, his rifle, fined him and took away his hunting rights for 1 year. Total Bullchit!

>My wifes grandpa was out cow
>elk hunting and shot a
>cow. Upon arriving at the
>animal he discovered 2 cows
>down. He is an honest
>guy so he did what
>he thought was right and
>field dressed both cows, loaded
>them in the truck, and
>drove home. Once he got
>home he called UDWR and
>reported what had happened. They
>came over confiscated the elk,
>his rifle, fined him and
>took away his hunting rights
>for 1 year. Total Bullchit!
>

That's an honorable thing to do, but it's obviously pretty stupid if you want to retain your hunting privileges. There are reasons for laws like that. Imagine all the people that could kill multiple animals and simply tell the DWR they found the others dead. The DWR has charged people for much less. My grandfather came across a doe with a broken back after being hit by a car. He was on his way back from target shooting and put it out of it's misery. After getting to the bottom of the dirt road he was on, he came across a DWR officer and reported it. He got fined.

In regards to the rest of the thread, I find it hard to believe that most people are 100% black and white. I feel like Im a pretty honest person, but when looking back, I have to be honest and realize the times when I screwed up. I once caught a fish that I didnt properly ID. When I showed it to a friend back at the truck, he told me the fish was not within the slot limit because of it's species. Rather than throw it away, I hid it in float tube on the way home in case I got stopped. If things were 100% black and white, I probably should have reported it. I didnt, and I doubt many others would either. But with the laws that I do know of, even the "dumb" ones, I stay on the straight and narrow.

"I am about half honest".......

Here's the deal. When it comes to fish and game ....I always try to do what is right, in the animal's interest.

I WILL ALMOST NEVER INVOLVE DFG/LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL.

I'll put down a wounded animal, if I know there is no hunter on it's track, or one hit on the road......but I ain't calling anybody, field dressing it, or talking about the event.

You have to use the old axiom that says, "no good deed goes unpunished".

If there is a dead animal, a "cop" of any sort and you, in the same proximity, you have a problem, and a 50% chance of getting a citation. Not to mention how much of your own hunting time will suffer.

I do not have the time, temperment, or inclination, to deal with the suspicious bastards at ANY level.

Coyotes need food also....so don't whine at me about wasting game.

Now all that said, in my case, I would be/have been, violating written laws.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Same thing happens here in MT,your still going to get punished.With ZERO incentive to do the "right" thing in this situation its not going to happen to me.

These "ethics" type of threads make me want to hit kittens in the head with a ball peen hammer....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

But Snort?

Would it be legal?

And Nicky?

You're saying You've got your own Laws you abide by?

>
>And Nicky?
>
>You're saying You've got your own
>Laws you abide by?

I ain't sure what I said that made you ask the question....but no, I don't have my own laws.

It is not legal to fail to report a dead or wounded animal, or fail to report a dfg violation, that you have seen comitted.....and I ain't reporting chit........that is all I meant.

Nicky?

How many animals you put down you never reported?

Did your Gun make a BOOM in the woods if nobody heard it?

I can tell you a story about reporting a Sick Bull Elk!

yeah.we all try to follow the rules,what if your in your area,and hunted for 3 days and monster muley crossed the boundry road, ya have to go for it,.

Well donnelley?

Here where we hunt we have a Reservation as well as many other States!

You'll chance Federal Court?,Guns being Confiscated?,Truck being Confiscated?,Losing your Hunting Rights?,A Big Fine?,just to get a PISSCUTTER?

BBOP......are you trying to pick a fight? I still don't get your point......you on the Jack?

Yes, over the years, I have put several animals out of their misery, especially while working for the State highway dept plowing snow in migration routes. There is a LOT of roadkill in our area.

Road injuries and animals with bullet wounds and arrows and I will not waste my time reporting them.

Just RAZZIN Ya Nick!

I'm trying to help people through the next month or two!

It happens every year right before Big Game Seasons start!

Attitudes get Pissy!

Patience becomes short!

And people boast of how they "have" & "will" break Big Game Laws nicky!:D

Pick a Fight with you,You ole Fart,LMAO!

Just tryin to STIRR you a little!:D

Well, I am deaf, so I couldn't hear the cynical nature of your posts.....WE be good an' chit!"

.....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-11 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]Hello Nickman,
I've been thinking about your post here & I would like to modify mine just a little!

Based on more recent experiences with law enforcement types, If I come across another wounded animal, I would just put the animal out of it's misery & move on. I wouldn't gut it, & I wouldn't report it.

Like you said, "coyotes gotta eat too"!

Seems like honesty, integrity, ethics, & morality are just some outdated concepts that few understand or practice anymore.

There was a thread in the Arizona section awhile back, authored by Extremebull, (see "7E lost bull") that I became directly involved with.
It's a long thread but the "dispute" went all the way to the Arizona Game & Fish Commission for resolution & they still stuck it to the hunter.

Elkchaser

Laws, rules, ethics...that's why this huntin' game has Wardens and CO's. Hopefully the majority of us try to follow our own code of ethics and "do what's right" to aid the situation or make less worries for the "refs". And sometimes the "refs" blow calls or don't get it right, either. And then we also have the Justice or District Courts to enter into the mix.It is my sincere hope most MM'ers would not bend rules or compromise ethics knowingly and willingly. Over my hunting lifetime, I have "sinned" on more than one occasion, or been a party to law or ethics violations, but about 20 yrs. ago I got involved in Boy Scouting and Hunter Ed...kinda hard on your conscience if you 're not practicing what you preach. Also, the motto of the Infantry unit has stuck with me for over 30 yrs. now: "Deeds Not Words". You can say a lot of things, but your actions and conduct speak for themselves. Think about that.

Cabin,
I know someone who shot a bull elk. It ran off with a herd. They saw it again as it was limping and he put it down. Turned out the second one was limping because of an arrow they found as they gutted it. As they were leaving they spotted the first one and it was dead. They called the fish and game right then. That was a disaster. It took a year for the dust to settle. Anyone I know who has dealt with the fish and game would never report themselves for anything again.

>Cabin,
>I know someone who shot a
>bull elk. It ran
>off with a herd.
>They saw it again as
>it was limping and he
>put it down. Turned
>out the second one was
>limping because of an arrow
>they found as they gutted
>it. As they were leaving
>they spotted the first one
>and it was dead.
>They called the fish and
>game right then. That
>was a disaster. It
>took a year for the
>dust to settle. Anyone
>I know who has dealt
>with the fish and game
>would never report themselves for
>anything again.
Yeeep...

"I absolutely had my head up my azz "
TOPGUN

I personally never shoot ducks untill I hear other shots, don't carry a watch and don't want to dig out my phone so I figure three other guys blazing means it safe. Exception to the rule is obviously opening morning. Then we wait until there has been a hundred or so shots before shooting.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Well hoss?

Don't know if you've ever hunted Farmington Bay on an opening morning or not?

You don't shoot until you've heard a 100 shots,really?

10's of thousands of shots fired before legal time every year,every opening morning!

When the early shootin starts,it's nothin but a rumbling roar!

A couple Guys get a Citation & 10,000 other hunters that broke the same law walk scott free over a bunch of damn Quackers!

+1 BuckSnort- can't stop laughing.

"These "ethics" type of threads make me want to hit kittens in the head with a ball peen hammer...."

Has anyone ever noticed how extreme disciplinarian parents often have the worst behaved kids. It's complicated, but often the worst possible results come from an unwillingness to apply common sense.

No, usually howard slough, when ogden bay gets to blazing and the guys down on the crossover on the west dike open up I figure its safe. I know what you mean though, but I just don't really need a ticket for on more duck.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

I can tell you this, no matter what kind of person you are, there is a lot of grey area when it comes to fish and game laws. Yes they are printed in black and white, but for those of us who have had to deal with them on occasion, you know that it depends on the officer involved. For example: I was guiding a hunter in Colorado many years ago and he shot at a bull elk. I was sitting right next to him and thought he had hit the bull but it ran off into the trees. When we got over to where we thought the bull had been hit we found a calf elk dead. Shot right in the head. It must have been eating in the taller sage in front of it and lifted its head at just the right time. We could have walked off and nobody would have known the difference but we didn't. I cleaned the calf and we headed back to camp and called the F&G. The officer showed up, we told him the story, he confiscated the elk, wrote him a $50 ticket, and gave him his tag back!!!! I was totally blown away by the professionalism this guy showed. He really could have nailed us. Example #2: I was hunting with some friends over in Colorado and we had taken the dreaded 4 wheelers back (on legal roads) as far as we could. My buddy and his son were set up on a small ridge overlooking a valley. There was a small 2 track that went down the middle of this valley and petered out towards the far end. They shot a buck on the other side of the valley. While they were cleaning the buck, a F&G officer showed up on his quad and wrote them a ticket for shooting over a road. We took pictures and they fought it and won but what a plick. Must of been having a bad day. Like I said, it all depends on the officer involved.

I've had a F&G officer tell me that it was alright to pack game animals out without the tag on them as long as it was punched and attached as soon as you got it back to the truck. That officer told me that he wouldn't cite anybody that had the tag punched if they were packing an animal out. That's not what the law says. The law says you have to have it tagged prior to moving the animal. Legally (letter of the law) you're not supposed to move that animal at all until it's tagged. Even if you're moving it just to take pictures. Again, it all depends on the officer involved.

It's always an adventure!!!

AWHOLELOTTABULL, So if you are by yourself and you have to quarter an elk, what part of the game do you pack back to the truck or camp first? The tagged part, antlers or hind quarter of a cow, or do you bring everything else out first then the part with the tag?? I have always wondered what Fish and Game?s point of view on this is. I cant find any details to that issue in Fish Game reg?s here in Az. Anyone know?? Seems to be another gray area. I have always brought all the meat back first then the part with the tag. But I could see an issue if you have meat hanging at camp and a Fish and Game cop just happened to show up before you were able to retrieve the rest. That would be far more likely than him showing up at your kill first.

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom