Question about goat scoring

Skiman

I took my goat to my taxidermist and told her that I want to have it scored. She told me to come back and get the skull and antlers so that I could have that done. So my question is- What do I do with the skull that is full of brains and eyeballs in the mean time while I wait for the 60 day waiting period to be up? This is the first animal that I have wanted to get scored so I am clueless about the process. Thanks for your help.
4ab30af13d5b9c7c.jpg

4ab30c1c44d349e5.jpg

4ab30c4445b320cc.jpg

If you are going to do a European mount, then take it to the taxi and have him do it. If you're doing a shoulder mount, the cut the skull cap off and clean out the brain matter.

Yelum

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]The cores need to be sweated off, meat and tissue from the new horn growth removed. Then the horns need to be re-attached to the cores. Then wait 60 days and get it scored..........or you can get an SCI score now. Was it a bow kill or rifle? Great looking antelope, my guess would be 69-70"

If you are close to Henderson, bring it over I will help you out and we will score it for you then. Or you can call and I will try to help walk you thur getting out the brain matter. My husband is an offical scorer for SCI and we don't mind doing it. Hope to help you. Nice antelope.
Vikki

Henderson, Nevada I am assuming? I'm in the SLC area. I really appreciate the offer though. I have always been very interested in scoring- and more importantly socring correctly. I ended up cutting the skull cap off and cleaning it out that way. I hope this wasn't the wrong move, but my wife wasn't real keen on the entire skull sitting in our freezer. Thanks again!

You still have the new horn that is growing under the old one. If you don't get that out before the wet tissue at the base of the horn dries you may be screwed. there is a lot of tissue under those horn caps! Best way is to get them in a black bag and in the sun until they rot off. The microwave methods looks like its out in your home.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom