Question about NR hunting

FX4

Hi all. New to MonsterMuleys and have never had the opportunity to even hunt muleys. My question is, I have a friend who owns a 600 acre ranch in NM. He doesn't hunt and no one else hunts it. Do I have to apply to draw a tag to hunt his ranch or is the draw just for public land? Also is there a way he could get land owner tags for me since he doesn't hunt? Thanks for any help.

Depends on what unit the ranch is in. Some have private land vouchers you can draw for and then get your "OTC" deer license online with voucher.

Read the big game regs for better a explanation. Be good to since it will also help with game laws...

Ok. Thanks. Had a hard time understanding the regulations as they pertain to private land. I knew that the ranch had to be signed up to get elk tags but wasn't clear on the deer tags.

Call the NM Dept of Game and Fish at 1-888-248-6866 8-5 M thru F and ask to speak to the representatives of the Landowner Owner Signup System (LOSS) for either elk and/or antelope whichever you fiend is interested in?
Pretty involved process whereby you need to apply for authorizations including submitting paper work not limited solely to private property deeds etc. Your property will also have to be evaluated by Game and Fish to assess habitat, game populations, etc.
The representatives with the LOSS system referenced previously can answer all your questions and clarify any mid-information I may have cited.
Let me know if I can be of any other assistance. Good luck.

Not sure about the unit but will try to find out. All I know is he said it's @ an hour from El Paso. He also said he had seen elk on the property, but I figured it would be easier to get deer tags for a non resident hunting there for the first time.

A quick look at the regulations shows that part of the state is unlimited private land tags.

Deer licenses start on page 46 of the regulations. Big game units are on page 62-23.

Just talked to my buddy. He said the guy that runs cattle on his ranch also runs cattle on the adjoining 2000 acres and he has a ranch code for elk and deer. He's supposed to be getting the number for me, so hope is not lost for this year.

Ok. After more digging and studying, I've seen in the regulations where it says that deer on private land other than units 2,3,and 5 are non quota. Does that mean a deer tag and license can be bought over the counter for unit 19? Man this is really confusing. I'm not used to different units and regulations. If any of y'all want to hunt whitetail in Mississippi just show up and buy a license at the local Walmart or sporting goods store and hunt all season. You are allowed 3 legal bucks and 5 does. I don't have B & C bucks but can guarantee you 3-4 legal deer in 5 days of hunting. Thanks for all the help this far.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom