Question for Don Williams

logslinger

Don my question is this. I am a Nonresident with 4 elk points now, I am 52 years old and my goal is to get drawn once in my lifetime about the time I retire at 62. With hunter ed and loyalty points I should have 16 points at that age. Is my dream of getting an archery tag for one of the premium units likely or is it a pipe dream and should I start looking at some of the lesser units now. I always thought that 9,10,or 3a-3c would be in play but I am not so sure now. Keep in mind that I can't miss that target date by to many years. Father time can be cruel. Thanks for your reply and if anyone else wants to chime in I'm all ears.

I think with upward point creep for the premium units, you may be always behind in the chase. In addition to point creep, the 10% NR cap is against you. You might consider a different unit as age 62 approaches and unit 9 seems a dream. Or put aside $20k a year so you can buy the auction tag one year ;-)

CopyofSedona1-2509034.jpg

Thanks redrabbit that kind of honest answer is what I am looking for. The auction tag is pretty much out of the question also. Could you suggest 4 units that I might have a reasonable shot at drawing my bow on a 350 class bull that will be in reach with that many points.

Slinger,

My thoughts are this. There are plenty of units that could accompany your requests it would really depend on the rains and how hard you can/want to hunt. I would have to agree that unit 9 maybe a bit of a strech, but I have seen stranger things happen. Remember it is still the luck of the draw. My recommendation is to keep putting in, but be ready to hunt hard. A 350 bull is certainly achievable in several, if not most elk units. Good luck on your quest and be sure to post some picks when the time comes!

+1 stealth. FYI log_slinger there has been several high 300 bulls taken I know for sure a couple of 400+ one in unit 1 and in unit 18a or b.

logslinger,
Here is the bonus point report for the 2009 elk draw by hunt number. This is likely the most useful for you to decifer your chances to draw each unit.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/docu...-BonusPointReport-1-2PassbyHuntNumber_000.pdf

Other reports like the 20% pass for most BP by hunt number are linked here.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BonusPointProcess.shtml

Most of the elk units are capable and do produce 350+ bulls, but maybe not in the numbers percentage-wise like 1, 3AC, 9, 10. Other units you may wish to research are 7, 8, 23N, 27.

6A is an elk factory and is managed as such, but there are bulls over 350. 6B is an easier draw but a harder hunt. I saw a 390 from 5BN last year, but would not consider it a trophy unit. I do not know much about 4 & 5A

CopyofSedona1-2509034.jpg

Do you mean Don Martin? I also agree with the other posts here. 350 can be had in AZ not just 9 - 10... Good Luck with what ever you decide..

John

Thanks for the PMs guys you have given me some great ideas on units that I should consider. Also the invite to help me if I ever do get drawn is why I joined this site in the first place. It would be an honor to have one of you residents help me out on my hunt.

Retire, move here and become a resident and your odds just improved a bunch. No but like everyone else has said there are big bulls in almost all of the units. It is just that some units are much harder to hunt. And having a guide would help a bunch in the harder units. Good luck.

AZbowhntr funny you should say that because I brought that very thought up to my wife just yesterday. AZ would be a lovely state to retire in with 16 points. I'm sure that I will hire a guide but I just was wondering if I would be better off trying for one of the lesser known units or keep at it with one of the well known elk producers.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom