Question for MM

pymulies

I had a guy ask if he could go hunting with me and another guy last year. Well when the draw came out he drew and we didn't. Since I had said I would take him, I lived up to my promise and took him. Well the hunt was decent but I didn't really enjoy the company as much as normal. Not a bad guy but still wasn't the best hunt.

This year he "asks" if he can put in again for the same area and go with us. Well not so much of a question but more of a statement. Kinda "Hey just to let you know I'm putting in for the tag" deal. (I have access to private land to hunt) I don't believe that I own the unit or anything but the access I can keep to myself.

What do you think I should tell him? Sure go ahead and put in and hunt on your own or give him another shot?

py

If you don't want him to go then don't encourage him. He'll be a mooch or take over your hunting area. Probably too late since one or the other has already happened.

Been there, done that! I'm not throwing any stones since I've done the same thing as you. There's not a good option now.

I have a bunch of friends but only a select few with whom I'll spend time on the mountain.

Life too short to hunt with a dud.

Zeke

Oh, just tell him you're simply going to stick with the original hunting partner and he's got to fend for himself now. The guy will probably try to hunt there anyway but atleast you won't have him in camp.

Live and learn. That could be a touchy ordeal. My thought would be, how good of friend is he and based on that is how I would handle it.

Piss I wouldn't take him. Hey now that you got an open spot can I come?

Kindin' Go with your gut if your not looking forward to it then I wouldn't.

Thats a tough one.

I've been in the exact spot and I can tell you that there are no easy answers.

I always (wrongly I guess), assumed that others would keep your areas to themselves and wouldnt try to horn in on another guys spot. At the very least I expected a phone call asking if it was alright for them the apply or hunt in the areas I'd showed them.

I was wrong about that and I've been burned several times on it.

I also always (wrongly I guess), assumed that when I went on a hunt with someone that they'd do 50% of the research, scouting, etc.

I grew tired of doing a majority of the research, a majority of the scouting, providing a majority of the gear, and then have friends show up to do the shooting and head home.

It has strained or cost me some friendships, no doubt. I hate that it has, but, I just couldnt continue to have others view my time and resources as expendable and their time and resources too valuable to help in a collabrative hunting effort.

I'll take part of the blame as I should have never let things get that out-of-whack in regard to time spent by each in regard to hunts. I should have demanded that they do their share. I didnt do that, I let it slide and slide until it was just flat stupid. I finally figured that if all my friends are going to do is show up for the hunt, after I'd done all the work, I'd be much better off just hunting solo.

What I've learned from some of my mistakes, and those of others, is that if I now take someone to a spot, I just assume they'll be back to hunt the chit out of it. I dont expect a phone call to ask either.

If I have a spot that I dont want others to know about...I keep it to myself.

When I apply for hunts in Wyoming or any other state, I apply solo and expect to hunt solo every time. I dont rely on others for help, dont expect anything of anyone any longer.

That said, I enjoy helping others and I like to see others be successful. I also enjoy having people help me out on some of my hunts, and of course, really enjoy hunting with my immediate family. I also enjoy having other people in camp, helping to pack game, glass, etc.

I also strongly believe that when it comes to finding and hunting quality animals, its best to fly solo. The main reason is because I dont want anyone to interfere with how, when, why, or even if I even want to hunt. I want MY hunt to go MY way. I also have nobody to blame if my hunt doesnt pan out. I'm not waiting on anyone, they arent waiting on me. If I dont feel like hunting at first light, I dont have to. If I feel like walking 2 hours in the dark, nobody will bit ch about it.

No matter what though, you're going to be an a-hole...I can tell you that. Its always the other guys fault.

The guy sounds like a friend who's more of an aquaintance. If he was a close true friend, you wouldn't even be posting up. How bad do you want to maintain the relationship. If you don't care, then tell him you already have hunting plans with your other friend and leave it at that...

Yeh, I have that that very same gig happen to me.

I just say the truth --- I have other commitments with this other fellow for this year and that last year was his year for my help.

Pretty honest and accurrate.

Maybe a few hurt feelings at first but stick to your plan and he is on his own...

Sad part is--guess who shows up with 'new buddies' to hunt your very same area.....that sucks......and can ruin the whole thing.

Robb

At age 58, I can tell you that I won't do it again. I have been burned too many times. I will give general suggestions to people that ask but won't tell them exact locations or areas. I can't count how many people have asked me to mark the locations of the mule deer migration trails for them in various parts of NW Wyoming.I spend too much time hiking, glassing and scouting to give the good spots away. The only real exception is I do take one or two of my sons (nonresidents)into my spots to hunt. I trust them.

Last year, I had two brothers contact me from out of state about a LQ mule deer hunt in this area. I gave them some general suggestions. I also sent them some dead animal photos. Because of an inadvertant email that was sent to me, I found they were trying to figure where the photos were taken and were trying to contact some of the folks in the photos.

All I can say is be careful. I would also say don't be surprised if someone you have helped rips off your hunting spot. It is kind of like loaning money to a friend, don't be surprised if you never get it back. Human nature is human nature.

mh

IMHO
If I were in "his" shoes I believe I would prefer the truth straight up, and sooner than later.
I don't think you are obligated to be his new hunting buddy and he will get over it if he is any kind of man / hunter.

I have to chime in again; a couple of the posters (like graysage, Buzz and Robb) hit the nail on the head when they said to be straight-up with the guy and don't wait. Be honest, firm and nice but get your point across. Sooner the better!
Zeke

I would like to thank everyone for their time and opinions!

I have been on this site for over ten years and I would like to say that I appreciate all the comments and the straight forward answers!

py

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-13 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p]This is an interesting thread because I faced a situation just this year regarding protecting the area I hunt. My buddy in Sheridan and I have had an agreement for some time that if we ask anyone to hunt with us the first thing we do is make them guarantee with almost a blood oath that they will not divulge where they hunted or come back at any time unless we invite them back. I've had pretty good luck with that, but this year when I asked my buddy if he had a problem with me asking another MM member on an elk hunt he asked that I not invite any more people because he feels I'm really running the risk of having happen what you guys are talking about. I'm sure it wouldn't have, but I honored his request because of our deep friendship. I really can understand his reluctance because what you guys are discussing already bit us in the arse once. A guy that worked for his Dad here in MI that always came out and hunted with us suddenly told him several years ago that he wasn't going to be hunting with us any more. The following year the guy was out right where we hunt almost every day the first week with two other people he brought along from MI. That went on for a couple years and then last year the SOB had FIVE others along with him and there wasn't even a conversation when we got close enough to where we could even talk. It's good they were only there for the opening five days and we had the better part of the season to ourselves after they left, but we're hoping it was a one time deal since those first five days until they left were not happy days at our camp!

You should never invite someone to hunt with you unless you're SURE he will fit in and be welcome anytime. Period.

Like others have said, don't break it to him gentle like. Just kick him in the nuts so he'll know what kind of person you really are. The sooner he finds out the better.

Next time don't be so full of your self and lead people on. Either that or tell them up front it's a one time deal.

That's the way I roll.

Eel

I'll hunt with my brothers or my boys but no one else !! We know how we like to hunt and don't have to worry about each other. Hunting is to important to not enjoy it. If you don't enjoy hunting with the guy just tell him no.I have had some hunts that should have been great hunts, ruined, because of guys that were p.i.t.a. crybabies.

I think you're full of your self because you come here looking for permission to blow your "friend" off, after you created the situation of your own free will.

Only you can answer your question about giving him another shot, what ever that means. Don't ask us. How would we know?

You have access to private ground, so you can pick any friend any time?

How would you feel if your "friend" came across what you posted? Or how do you think he would feel?

We all make mistakes I guess. I just wish you would handle it on your own. One on one with the guy. Or maybe I don't understand because I've never experienced it.

Eel

I wasn't asking permission from anyone, I was just asking advice from others that had been through the same deal.

No, I said that I have access to private ground to express that I didn't feel like the unit was mine and no one else could hunt there.

Now about how I would feel, yeah that would probably not be a good thing. But I also know that he does not frequent this site and if he did take offense then it wouldn't be the end of the world. At no point did I degrade him as a person or as a hunter. I just expressed how the hunt wasn't the best for me. That may be selfish, but then again I fulfilled my end of the agreement and took him.

And if you want to know, I did handle it prior to even writing the original post. I actually had to call him because I do not live in the same town as him and now "one on one" would involve a 5 hour drive.

I was just curious if other had more experience with this and wanted their opinion.
-"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

As far as anything other problems you have eel, I wouldn't mind if you just shut your pie hole. People with your bad attitude is a good example of what is ruining this site. You took an innocent question and made it into more of a personal attack of my ethics. I don't know you, so I won't degrade you more than your attitude.

My Dad and I have been through this. Invited another father/son on a WY hunt with us on private property (landowners are friends of ours). The hunt went ok but they were not the ideal hunting father/son....bickered about little stupid crap. My Dad and I both agreed that was a one time deal. The following year, the invited Dad mentioned to my dad that they'd like to do that trip again. My Dad simply said that we get INVITED to hunt that property and it is not our place to bring guests as we choose.

Bottom line is that the number of hunts we have in our lifetime is numbered. Don't have a bad or less than good hunt because someone else may be putting pressure on you to invite them or hunt with you. Life is too short.

It always seems weird to me that a guy gets invited one time and they just assume it's a given the same situation for the following year. Hunting partners/camp mates is a touchy relationship. If it ain't right, it ain't right. I've talked with several guys over the past 2 years that had bad experiences with NEW hunting partners. Both hunts ended early with no tags filled because their partners turned out to be weiners!

M'Balz Es Hari

after sharing a little with so called friends,who promised to keep things to themselves,i am glad i only showed them a very small piece of the pie,now i only hunt with family that understands the process.

anyone asks where we hunt we all say "in the woods left of the pine tree"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom