Question for police officers here

Is a police officer allowed to strike a person he is fighting with his pistol?
He can use whatever force is necessary to protect his life, his partners or that of a third innocent party. They are taught to use a Use of Force Continuum.

To overcome resistance, a officer is allowed to use a greater force to stop the resistance. Under the right circumstances, striking with the duty handgun can be acceptable under the rules and regulations of the department and penal code. It is not a preferred paractice, but if the officer's safety is placed in danger, he can resort to striking the suspect with his handgun.
RELH

images (1).jpeg

If someone is fighting with the cop what cop wouldn’t shoot him? It’s every cops wet dream to use their pistol.

If someone is fighting with the cop what cop wouldn’t shoot him? It’s every cops wet dream to use their pistol.
My bro in law shot a guy 5 times and took all 5 bullets to drop him. The perp was trying to shove his 80 year old Mom up the chimney because the devil was telling him to do it. He was not the same person after that. I disagree that cops WANT to shoot someone.

My bro in law shot a guy 5 times and took all 5 bullets to drop him. The perp was trying to shove his 80 year old Mom up the chimney because the devil was telling him to do it. He was not the same person after that. I disagree that cops WANT to shoot someone.
I was painting with a broad brush.

Once your fighting with a cop, haven't we bypassed the "rules" portion of civility ?

Cop deserves to go home to his family.

You live in Houston Tri, dudes get dozens of bonds for violent crimes, takes longer to fight than post bail

Is a police officer allowed to strike a person he is fighting with his pistol?
During my academy it was considered a weapon of opportunity. So-if necessary, yes. But that was in Oklahoma where laws are actually enforced. Here in Vegas (my brother has been on for 30 years this September) cops have to be shot first before their allowed to use their duty weapons!!

Once you engage in a physical altercation with an officer and he feels the need to escalate his level of resistance, especially if you have the upper hand, a strike with a pistol is no different than any other ( impact weapon ) ASP baton, PR24 etc. The whole use of force continuum has been thrown out several years ago and its now what is reasonable basically. Does the average person believe if you try to fight an officer you can be hit with a pistol, the answer everywhere outside of few choice locals in wish I hope none of you live is yes.

I stopped having problems with cops once Istopped breaking the law. That’s why I have problems with cops.

#cantstopwontstop
#thuglife

During my academy it was considered a weapon of opportunity. So-if necessary, yes. But that was in Oklahoma where laws are actually enforced. Here in Vegas (my brother has been on for 30 years this September) cops have to be shot first before their allowed to use their duty weapons!!
No.

Once you engage in a physical altercation with an officer and he feels the need to escalate his level of resistance, especially if you have the upper hand, a strike with a pistol is no different than any other ( impact weapon ) ASP baton, PR24 etc. The whole use of force continuum has been thrown out several years ago and its now what is reasonable basically. Does the average person believe if you try to fight an officer you can be hit with a pistol, the answer everywhere outside of few choice locals in wish I hope none of you live is yes.
“Use of force continuum thrown out several years ago”
Really? I don’t think so. What is reasonable for some is not reasonable for others, that’s why academies teach the continuum.

I was responding to “cops have to be shot first.”
I believe you’re using sarcasm correct?
Pretty sure he meant LV is becoming more Liberal and is being run more and more like its neighbor Cali. People like Jester live there and are anti-cop.

Las Vegas is a nightmare. They send rookie State Police officers there to break them in. ? so much crazy and so much dope up there. I’m talking Las Vegas, NM just for clarification.

I was responding to “cops have to be shot first.”
I believe you’re using sarcasm correct?
Yes, correct I was. However, it sure seems to appear that way some times these days. Election years and political pressure puts cops on the hot seat. I think the majority of cops still try to do the right thing but if they aren't backed up by their community and administration-they don't stand a chance. At least big city cops don't.

Yes sir you are correct. All this anti-cop sentiment does is slow down response time. It’s very dangerous to the public. Who wants to bust their ass to get to a scene where everybody hates them?

“Use of force continuum thrown out several years ago”
Really? I don’t think so. What is reasonable for some is not reasonable for others, that’s why academies teach the continuum.
Not getting into a pissing contest with you or comparing resumes. That is exactly why they use what is "reasonable". It used to be Officer presence, verbal commands, hands on, OC/Taser impact weapons then deadly force. Problem is people are different ages sizes strengths and things happen very quickly. There is no time when you show up to a house and someone takes a shots at your car as you get out, " Sir please stop shooting or I have to use my OC spray" does not really apply. There is no black and white to it. When your in physical fight as an officer your armed - there is always a gun involved.
What I am saying is you do not have to follow the "steps" when you feel as though you need to quickly escalate the situation, you just need to be able to justify it.

Not getting into a pissing contest with you or comparing resumes. That is exactly why they use what is "reasonable". It used to be Officer presence, verbal commands, hands on, OC/Taser impact weapons then deadly force. Problem is people are different ages sizes strengths and things happen very quickly. There is no time when you show up to a house and someone takes a shots at your car as you get out, " Sir please stop shooting or I have to use my OC spray" does not really apply. There is no black and white to it. When your in physical fight as an officer your armed - there is always a gun involved.
What I am saying is you do not have to follow the "steps" when you feel as though you need to quickly escalate the situation, you just need to be able to justify it.
Exactly. The use of force continuum is taught as a starting point. The vast majority of encounters do not involve lethal force as you are well aware. You can start at the very top if the situation dictates. An individual has to be taught when to escalate and how to de escalate. I believe you and I are on the same page. Stay safe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom