Question for the experts

H

Hawkk33

Fellas,

I just bought a savage model 11 270WSM althoug it came with a scope (simmons 3x9x40) I know that I have to replace it, I am looking at the Leupold Rifleman in either 3x9x40 or 4x12x40 what are your thoughts in this scope ?

The rifleman has the original mag flouride coating (Vari XII's) while the new VX1 and VX2 have the Multi coat 4 on external lenses and mag flouride on intior. The VX1 is the exact same as the VX2 except for the windage and elevation adjustmens.

The rifleman has 1/2 min friction adjustemt, while the VX1 has 1/4 min adjustment and the VX2 as click adjustments (but you pay for them). You would get better optics for the same price.

Personaly the best bang for your buck is the Weaver Grand Slam. Bear basin has them listed for $239 for a 3x9x40. They are VERY comparable to the Vari X 3's and feature click windage adjustments. The grand slam I have is waaaaay more clear than the VX1 is.

Last time I looked a 3x9 rifleman was listed for $199, the VX1 was listed for $219. IMO you get twice the scope for $40 more if you go with a Grandslam

good luck
Ivan

I would second Bambistews opinion. Dad and I both have Luepolds on most of our rifles. I was talked into purchasing a Weaver Grand Slam a few weeks ago, for my flat top varmint AR. The clarity and crispness is better than the Vari X III. Also from what I was told the construction is better. The scope tube and adjustments are machined, as where the leupold is pressed. For the price, I have a hard time seeing where it can be beat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom