Questions after my First Stalk

TypicalObsession

Question for the group, is there a way to know when its best to hold up and be patient vs being a little more aggressive? How Crucial is it to be able to see the deer your stalking in on?
Some back story from last night;
Had my First real stalk on a buck last night. Glassed a buck up from a way off, while I was watching him he ended up bedding out in the open in a really good stop to put a stalk on, so off I went. I ended up getting within 40 yards of where I thought the buck was. Wind was good, but I had some brush in front of me blocking the view of where I assumed the buck was still bedded. At this point I told myself I should be patient but I wanted to know if the deer was still there. I worked my way a few feet to my left, and when I looked up to find the buck, he was staring right at me. I unfortunately didn't have a shot and he ran off.
Pic for Reference, the Buck was bedded in the brush on the opposite side of the Pine.
Feel free to give any input!
Deer bed.jpg

It depends on the buck. But, if you know he is there for sure...knock an arrow, know the distance, and wait. Even if the wind turns, most b bucks will stand up and look around for a few seconds before darting off. The joy of bowhunting is partially because it is a humbling experience.

An idea, if you’re in an area that you know has a lot of deer, sneak in there mid day a sit down and take a nap ?. When you wake you may be in deer heaven. You haven’t moved for hours and there isn’t a creature that knows you are there. It’s like being in the middle of an elk herd. You get a much needed nap and you may get the shot of a lifetime. It’s worked for me, but I knew there were a lot of deer around, Rifle, CO back in the olden days. And Gunnison, 54 a while back. Scoff if you like.

Got caught peeking! Been there many times. Best to keep the faith and hold tight, let him get on his feet if you don't know if he's there. If you wait a long time, and get that feeling the only thing around is you and the grasshoppers, nock an arrow and throw a small rock or 2, preferably farther than where he might be. It has worked for me!

There isn't really right or wrong, its just that sometimes it works out and sometimes it don't. When it works out think about what you did right, when it doesn't think back and really pick apart if you shoulda done something different with the information available at the time, not the information you gleaned afterwards. You can't make decisions on information you don't have, thats a sure fire why to start overthinking everythign in the field

Sounds like you did everything right to get close, just bad luck that he picked you off.

One suggestion that has been helpful for me in the past is to hunt like the animal is still where you last saw it bedded. Don't assume it moved, or isn't where you thought unless you or a "spotter" visually confirmed that the animal left/moved.

You can always reassess later after you've proven the animal is gone. But it doesn't hurt to stalk/hunt like he's still right there, until you get that proof.

I
An idea, if you’re in an area that you know has a lot of deer, sneak in there mid day a sit down and take a nap ?. When you wake you may be in deer heaven. You haven’t moved for hours and there isn’t a creature that knows you are there. It’s like being in the middle of an elk herd. You get a much needed nap and you may get the shot of a lifetime. It’s worked for me, but I knew there were a lot of deer around, Rifle, CO back in the olden days. And Gunnison, 54 a while back. Scoff if you like.
I snore too damn loud for that to work! Haha

If you have to take a peek, slow way down. I try to tell myself no more than 6inches in a minute. And use your binos to try and spot antler tips. Supposedly deer eyesight is good at detecting movement, but no so much detail. If you move slow enough their brain might not recognize the movement.

It takes a lot of failed stalks to result in a successful one keep at it

Ohhh, but how many times this has happened to me over the years. SMH. Good advice above. I remove my boots if feasable. Nothing like rocks and brush to slow your roll. Had my best luck that way.

As was mentioned, in this scenario, you have to force yourself to act as if he is right there, don’t convince yourself he is probably gone, you will often be wrong, speed up, then ruin it. Keep the faith! Move like the slow hand of the clock. The killer of that scenario is very often times scent and a wind change but sometimes they don’t bust out like crazy. If you can see them just be eagle eye on them and as soon as they look alert and whip their head, get ready to draw back because they’re going to stand up.

Best advice I can give is bring a friend make them be your spotter. Solo hunting is very rewarding, but also can be frustrating when you do a stock and don’t know if they are still there when you get into a position. When I hunt Nevada, that doesn’t allow radios, I’ll put a chair on my jeep and if the critter leaves I’ll take it down so the Hunter knows the gig is up. In Arizona radios are legal so I use them there.

IMG_0158.jpeg

My best stalks, on some good deer, were ruined by deer I didn't even know were there, or that I wasn't able to keep track of when stalking in... Lots of good advice above. I 2nd the slow movement, and try and keep the breeze in your face... Good luck.!!

Lots of really good advice above. One thing I'll add, if you think you need to take one more step, DON'T!! Now that may really slow your stalk, but that's probably a good thing. Patience. And move slowly.

Full disclosure, 80% of my stalking is in eastern woods, with much less visibility, for turkey and whitetail deer.

Patience patience patience. I had the same situation a couple days ago in utah. Get to a good spot within range and wait. Limit movement and let him expose him self. Sometimes all you have to go off of is the top of his antlers. Alot of times you will have no shot regardless if he stands up or not. Sometimes that's jist how it goes. I sat on this buck for 3.5 hours just to have him stand up and have no shot. Gotta love archery hunting! Especially solo!

20230819_120057.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom