Questions for DWR/Guides

fstop

Hey fellow MM users,
I thought I'd post a question to all of you. At this years ISE show in SLC next week, I'll be hosting a Q & A session with Anis Aoude (Utah DWR Big Game Coordinator), Rusty Hall (Publisher/Editor of Trophy Hunter Magazine) and Doyle Moss (Mossback Guides and Outfitters). This session is going to be held on Saturday 3/15 at 1:30pm at the Eastmans' Journals Adventure Theater. It is going to be fairly informal, we'll be taking questions from the audience and I will have some as well. But, is there anything you'd like to ask? I plan on asking them all a bunch of questions concerning Utah/Hunting/Management ect, but wanted to know if any of you had any different than what I have?
I'd like your questions to be one's that I can actually use. I understand that some people might not agree with guides, management strategies? or whatever, but if you had the chance to sit down with one of these individuals, what would you ask them? I think most people on this site have good questions and different perspectives on important issues and this is my reason for this favor. I thank you in advance and I'll take some of these questions to the show.

Thanks again,

Adam Eakle aka fstop
KUTV Roughin? It Outdoors Reporter

I'm curios as to long range hunting, and how we will fund it 20-30 yrs down the road. Currently hunter numbers are declining. We are making it harder and harder for our youth to draw a decent hunt; one consequence is it's harder to get the next generation hunting. How are we going to fund hunting in the future without new recruits. I don't bring this up to bash conservation tags. I don't have a problem with the big money coming in and subsidizing hunting. My question is without the core numbers of average guys to create the consistent revenue how do we support the sport in the future. We need both groups to be succesful in my opinion.

Will this be a debate format, open forum ???? I think it is a great idea, if I am there Saturday I will attend. I would offer a suggestion, I think it would be interesting to have just an "average joe" someone who just hunts for themselves and their family on your panel. If I can think of any questions I surely will pass them on. Keep up the goodwork.

Now that the legislature has passed the setting of hunting dates back to the DWR, what are they thinking of changing the dates to? and for what season (archery,muzzleloader,rifle season.

If I could ask one question of this panel it would be:

We as sportsmen appreciate the quality of limited entry hunting in Utah; it is without question a huge success. However, the general hunts are a different matter.

What is each of you on this panel doing to insure the ?average hunter? has a fair and affordable chance at a quality hunting experience in Utah?

RUS

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-08 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]Right now I take my kids out of state to hunt #1 because it is so difficult to draw a tag in Utah and #2 They can hunt cheaper out of state than as a resident in their home state of Utah. Why is Utah the most expensive Western state for youth to hunt and what are the future plans to attract our youth to hunting if not by lowering their cost?

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

DWR-

In your opinion what state currently has the best Mule deer management plan? .........

What can Utah learn and implement from their success? .......

yada yada yada nonresident elk tag sales yada yada larger budget yada yada .......

Does this mean that Utah's current Mule deer management is driven more by tag sales than by what's in the best interest of the states deer herds?

:) :)

Adam,

Four questions for the DWR: Do you believe there would be more opportunities to harvest mature deer and elk on Utah's public lands if motorized access was reduced? Is the DWR planning on restricting motorized vehicle use by hunters (as Idaho is doing in many units)? Why is locating big game animals from an aircraft any day of the year not illegal (with the obvious exception of government agencies surveying the herds)? Do you think it really is necessary for Utah, and fair to the animal, to allow the sportsman and statewide auction permit holders to legally kill a buck or bull on the winter range in January?

Three questions for the hunter/guides: How much of your business is generated by Utah's conservation tag program? Do you feel like this program benefits a select group of guides far more than the "common sportsman" who give up permits so this program can exist? Do you think that locating big game animals in the summer or winter from an aircraft for the purpose of identifying trophy animals and then attempting to relocate and kill them during hunting season based on this aerial scouting is an acceptable practice that should be allowed to continue?

Thanks,

-RPinenut

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-08 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]I say we let Pinenut ask the questions.

Don't be surprised to get political answers from all involved. There are way to many emotional issues for guys to put their necks, reputations, and livelihood on the line in such a forum.

I sent you a couple questions in a PM.

I think we need pinenut on the panel. Good luck with your Q&A I see it gettin pretty heated. Wish I could be there.

I totally agree with pinenut too, those are great points, but one i want to ponder.

About the road closures to hunting.
How would you ever enforce that when those roads in our mountains are as many as the veins in our very bodies, and MOST are there for agriculture, cattle and sheep grazers...hunters just use them.

Don't get me wrong, i'd be all about some more "primitive area's" hunting, but you'd have a war on your hands closing roads to just hunters.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

For the DWR and guides.

I would like an honest opinion on the tactic of bounty hunting.

I would like to know if

1 the guides feel that it is an ethical practice??

2 the DWR thinks this practice is helping or hurting management for any type of species??

Second question, and I will not go in to the rumor mill here, but there is a lot of wild stories that are spread and 99% are unsubstantiated, I would like to know if the guides would be willing to sit down and put together a set of rules that govern outfitters and their tactics in Utah

Now that the Dedicated Deer program has reached the cap number, does the DWR see a Dedicated Elk hunter program for the General Any Bull units?

The spike and LE units get almost all the conservation tag project moneys... The General Any Bull units would be the main forcus of this Dedicated Elk hunter program... hours, projects ect.

Thanks....

Robb

I know that Utah has a half a$! guide association, but why don't we have a real legit Guide and Outfitters association in place to govern activities of those trying to turn a dollar on public ground. With stricter guidelines and rules for outfitting on public lands, similar to Nev, Wyo, ect? I feel it could help bridge the gap that we see between sportsmen and Guides/Outfitters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom