radios

B

bonefreak

what kind of radios is everyone using
how do they work
ive used some and am not too impressed but its nice to stay in touch sometimes.

I use Cobra MicroTalk GMRS radios. They are supposed to be good to 12 miles. I've been 2 miles from another radio and not been able to clearly communicate, it was rough terrain and we were at different elavations. In more open country, I've had them reach about 5 miles or so. Take what the manufacture states with a grain of salt.

The Midland GTX550 is about the most powerfull I've seen in a lightweight general purpose radio. I have a set and they are very clear and powerfull. Like said previously, take the specs with a grain of salt. Here's a link to them and this is a great price:

http://www.bulverdehometheater.com/gxt550.htm

thanks ill look it up
anyone use vhf?
a buddy who is in search and rescue has a pretty sweet little radio but they use repeaters and stuff i guess im not sure what the diff is.
anyone know and enlighten me??

I switched over to vhf radios last year after struggling with my motorola talkabout wow! what a difference crystal clear and a lot more powerful than gmrs, cabelas sells one made by humminbird for around $80 i think and it is a great radio only downside is that everyone in your party has to have one because they only work with other vhf radios they also make one to mount in the truck and that one will give you some serious range just my opinion but I think you would be happy with vhf I have two handhelds and one in the truck and they have been great.

Rhino's are the way to go if you're wanting to keep tabs on everybody. Once you beep everybody in you don't even have to be able to reach them on the radio and you can query their locations via the GPS, which is satellite driven not radio driven.

I got a couple so I can keep tabs on my dad a little better. He tends to push the envelope a little when he's hunting and I often don't know where to start looking for him. Good safety net for older, younger or inexperienced hunters (as long as they leave the unit on).

And they're water proof, not "resistant".

Hey Mule Crazy, how far do the Rhino radios reach? Are they GMRS or FRS? Is the locatation query unlimited distance?

thanks for the info
whats the range and
do you have to have them programmed?
is the one in yhour truck the same as Cabela's?
thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom