Rain Coming?

C

CHWine

There's talk of some rain this weekend in NorCal. Nothing better to bring out the big boys!

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Hope so, we coul;d use a little down south here. It been getting cool down here some of the nights.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-10 AT 03:15PM (MST)[p]A little story of what weather can do for a Nor-cal hunt and how i missed out on one of the best hunts in recent memory;

I'm gonna say it was 5-6 years ago but i'm not sure, somewhere in there. Friday evening, I rolled my camper rig into a old landing that overlooked a nice basin that had burned out but was well on the way of new growth. I was very happy to see no other rig there, it was going to be home base for the opener and at least another day or two as i knew the country pretty good and though accessible with my 4x4, this was a great place to be.

So i go about getting things ready for the morning and it looks as if a storm is rolling in. No worries, i've got my well set up camper shell, plenty of food, and a tag in my hunting bag. That reminded me to transfer my tag from the bag that i keep my glasses, rangefinder, extra ammo... all that good stuff, into my ammo pouch. The license and tags stay in the ammo pouch for the season because if i'm hunting, the ammo pouch is always with me...

Well i can't find the tag! I tore through everything, no tag anywhere and to this day, i never did find the darn thing. I can't hunt without a tag so i made the hard decision to do what needed doing, i pulled up camp and headed off to Redding, to the Fish & Game office there where i could buy a duplicate tag when they opened Sat. morning. That's what i did and with a new tag in hand, i gassed up and quickly drove the 80 miles or so back up to my hunting spot.

As i pulled up the mountain, i could see plenty of snow on the tops. When finally pulling through my access area, 2-3" of new powder on the ground, i stopped at a long time camp that i knew several of the hunters. They were busy and happy in their chore, skinning a camp full of good bucks. You gotta know how it went. They claimed that snowy opener to be the best hunting they ever had in the area, everybody got shooting and most had filled out. Bucks were right out in the open they said. All this while i was on the road and back to do something i shouldn't have had to do. I learned a hard lesson there about taking special care of my paperwork! A early storm can be a blessing on the opener! Don't miss out on it if you can!!

Joey

Friday and Saturday is calling for showers in Humboldt Co. Sometimes it just means my truck gets muddy instead of dusty.:)

Eel

The hunting gods are shineing down upon thee....Hardway is headed for the Marbles thursday afternoon :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't beleive anyone except Eelgrass...hope it happens
however I am not holding my breath......my count down has begun!!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Hey hard-way I may be headed a difficult way in the Marbles myself.. or I could just wait til second weekend to let all the city cats go home!

This is going to be awesome if we get some weather. The rifle season for bear opens as well in B5 on Saturday. Is that correct? That is what I am reading but I keep thinking there is something in fine print somewhere else in the regulations as archery bear season just closed last weekend...

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Hey Rack!!

Good amounts of rain in real northern cali.. probably at least 1/4 inch in spots... could be burning next week!!

Anyhow- I do fear for the poor forkies as the sac valley and santa rosa boys are really gonna lay em down tomorrow! Heck maybe even the big ones will move around.

Good luck to everyone! Forkies and outta towners alike!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom