Rain in Arizona

A

AZBULLS

Got another good storm the past couple of days..... Still not enough?? We had much less last year and I still saw A LOT of 330-360 Bulls runnin around during the rut..... I dont get all of the discussion on rain.... WE LIVE IN A DESERT CLIMATE!!!!
The Bulls here in Arizona have done just fine for many years-well enough to make us one of the best states to hunt BULL ELK. The Elk here are acclimated to the climate---OOOPS minus 10 inches on a really bad year---

DARN A 360 BULL RATHER THAN A
375 BULL.

Dang that sucks Huh???

AZBULLS,

You need to get out into the woods more if you think that big bulls (350+) only loose 10 inches on a bad year. That "big storm" that just hit phoenix did not touch units 9 and 10 FYI. Moisture and the timing of it plays a huge factor in antler development, the bulls last year looked pretty beat up.

Azbullz,

canon is right on this one. if you think 350+ bulls only loose 10" of growth on a drought yr. vs. an average winter/spring precip yr. you are either one not good at scoring or two not in the woods enough to really know. If rains don't come soon the bulls in northern az. will be humped again. very sad.

We need the weather March thru May. The Winter rains help but the Spring rains put on the growth. A mature bull will lose up to 10% of it's antler growth on bad drought years. IMO we still aren't looking that good. It could all change though with a few good Spring storms........

Just don't apply for Az any more. We may have a drought. APPLY in Pa. or somewhere that it rains more!

I can't believe we are rehashing this again. I totally agree with the Kid and Canon. You obviously don't get out in these units much because you would know the drought effect can be huge like last year. There was a bull killed in 9 this year that a buddy has the shed for and it lost over 30" from the previous year.

Guys like Canon and the Kid are out there a lot and see the same bulls year after year and even have them named. These guys see the difference first hand and it is extreme in a really bad year. They have not acclimated to the droughts and we haven't gotten the storms in 9 & 10 that are hiting other areas. If the bulls can really acclimate like you think they can then why aren't they living in the desert eating cactus to get their moisture????

Rackem

INTERVIEW WITH GOD
http://www.livingwaters.com/interview/index.shtml

Here is what is going on in unit 9 as I live in Tusyan;

So far we have seen about 24" total snow fall this winter season. The rain that hit Phx this week, we recd. about 1/2" of rain and a light dusting of snow.

This year is tracking very close to last year and WAY behind 2 winters ago.

Both the west and east sides of the mountain is closed due to wet road conditions and more weather is on the way this week.

Azsagebrush

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-07 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]Yeah they do live in the high desert. My point is that you won't see them with thier heads buried in a cholla patch or any other cactus to get their water/nutrition like a muley or coues. Bottom line is they need the moisture to have more nutritious feed that will help them stay healthy.

Rackem

INTERVIEW WITH GOD
http://www.livingwaters.com/interview/index.shtml

Have any of you seen the last 5 world records..........They all came from Penn. I guess your right rain does make ALL the diff.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom