Ranching for Wildlife - Deer Hunts(?)

S

Stryker

We have been trying for the past 14 years to get my wife a tag for Pinyon Canyon (142) with no luck. Now it looks like things may really be changing for this area, due to the HUGE increase in troops and training activity taking place, not to mention the land expansion. So this year we went ahead and put in for a perference point, as we did not want ot risk the past 14 years, with the pending land expansion and increase in training activity on base.

Now we are thinking about the possibility of looking elsewhere next year. Even though she receives a second choice or left over tag each year, she will have 15 points next year and is ready to use them on a quality area.

We are looking into the ranching for wildlife areas, such as the Hill Ranch or Twin Peaks.. Looks like it took 13 ppt to draw the one tag for either area last year. Any information about these areas or an area worth 15 ppt, would be appreciated.

P.S. My wife runs 6-7 miles every day,and is in far better shape than I am - so a difficult hunt and tough terrain is not an issue, for her atleast!!!

Don't give up on Pinon Canyon yet, even if they steal everyone's land, it will take a couple of years. If you are set on a RFW, Twin Peaks have some huge bucks, with the country being mostly scrub oak, rock, quakies, and lower elevation. It's definately one I would consider.

If I had 14-15 points I'd draw one of the Gunnison 4th season tags. 66 would be my first choice but thats personal. Like Cous said, a real adventure would be one of the high country, September (velvet) hunts but they screwed up some of those seasons this year by moving them back a week.

I'd hunt the Gunnison 4th for the best chance at the best buck but would probably enjoy one of the high country hunts more. Am I being redundant?

I agree with the above posts, with that many points you have a good chance at many good units. That being said, if you are wanting to hunt a RFW, I would really consider Twin Peaks. I was born and raised in the area. The deer herds are definitely coming back strong and there are some real good buck to be found around there. The only real problem is gaining access, which the RFW provides. I also went to high school, many moons ago, with some of the people that run the Twin Peaks and they are all good people.

I appreciate all of the info..

Hopefully I will draw 4th season, for the gunnison basin this year, put in for 551 4th with 10 points - it's 7:00 a.m. and the results are still not posted!!!

I have considered the high county early season hunts for the wife, just not sure which on would be best, the Sangre's are only about an hour away from home!!

I am really interested in Twin Peaks, but the not being able to camp on the ranch and scout really concerns me. AHT - do you know if they manage the RFW hunts for quality animals, or like some of the ranches, do they just take you out the back door and expect you to shot the first buck you see?

Stryker-
Honestly, I really don't know how they run their hunts. I've never actually been on the ranch itself, I'm more familiar with the area heading to west of the ranch. I used to live at the base of the West Spanish Peak, so I can tell you there are some real good animals all over those peaks. My brother-in-law has done some work right around that ranch and he's seen nice bucks and bulls in the fall in that area. I would just look the ranch up on CDOW website and it lists how to contact the ranch, and give them a call and see how helpful they are. Good luck, and I wish I could be more help.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom