Range Creek Sheep

Wapitiwilly

Very Active Member
Guys,
I noticed that the range creek sheep hunt for 2014 has been divided into 2 hunts. First hunt is Nov 1-15 second is Nov 16-30.
I am sitting on 18 points and based on the DWR the odds are in my favor of drawing. In your opinion which hunt would be the best choice?
I plan on backpack hunting so not concerned with pressure from previous hunters.
Thanks in advance

I have 17 points so i am right behind you but that could be a 3 year difference in getting a tag but all bets are off when it comes to a new split season.

I think that the later date hunt would be a little better for the rut and maybe bring around more mature Rams...

Robb

That split is apt to cause some serious brain-farts, and require extra prilosec for many tag hopefuls.
I'm guessin there will be more "early-bird" wannabes than "late to the party" candidates.
Hard to say if one is better than the other depending on how you play your cards. The nice thing is, both hunts are during the rut when grown rams act like adolescents, but Robb's right that sometimes an old ram might want the last dance.

A great Ram can be taken in Range Creek either early or late, I would prefer the late or the other side of the river in Rattlesnake.

I would go with the early hunt. The sheep rutted early this year the later the hunt went the worse it got. I helped kill four sheep this year and if was close to drawing i would put in for the first season

This year I seen the biggest rams the first week of the hunt.
When I had my tag, I seen 2 real good rams, one on the first day of the hunt and the one I killed a couple days before thanksgiving.

If I had 18 points going into the draw this year. I would put in for the first hunt. If I had any less I would put in for the late hunt. They are both good hunts, but I think more people will put in for the first hunt.

I hope you get a tag, it is a great hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom