Rangefinder Longevity

bjn7f0

What's the average life expectancy of todays rangefinders provided one takes care of them?

I have a Leupold RX-750 TBR that is approximately 5-6 years old that stopped working. I have never dropped it, never gotten it wet, don't leave it in the sun. I sent it in to Leupold for repair and they told me the electronics went out and it's not repairable. They are willing to sell me any rangefinder of my choice at 50% of MSRP but if I have to keep buying a rangefinder every 5-6 years from Leupold I'm seriously considering another brand. Your thoughts?

Had the exact same thing happen with a Leica 800 last year. It was about the same age and the parts were no longer made. They offered 50% off a new 1600. I pleaded with them that I was tapped out and couldn't afford 50%. Negotiated them down to 40%.
Guessing they probably still made money on the deal...

I think that is the norm for electronics . I called in on a Garmin Rhino 520 or 530 cant remember which model. They told me the same thing they no longer had parts for it to be repaired. They didn't even offer me 50 % off a new one. :-(
So I just went out and bought one of the new flat screen models. I have been handing down my old ones to my boys anyway. So my one boy has one that doesn't transmit all of the time. But the gps works great still and we can always see where he is on our screens.

Vortex. They are the only optics company that covers their electronics under their warranty. So if it breaks, you get a new one -- lifetime warranty. I was looking at others this year as well, and this is why I chose to go with the Vortex rangefinder. It's been a good one too, I've got ranges over 1000 yards on trees and hillsides.

WYmoose

I use a 12 year old Bushnell. I don't remember the model, but it works out 600+ yards.
Last fall I tested it on a baseball field and a football field. Accurate to the foot.

I bought a Bushnell Elite 1500, new it would read out to 1250 +/-. Two years later it would only read 650. Sent it in. Bushnell offered a new one for 40% off. No thanks. I own two other Bushnell optics (binos and a rifle scope) every one was medium priced $300 to $600, everyone one of their products (that I've purchased) as been inferior quality, basically junk. Three times is more than enough. Never another, won't do business with companies that can't build better products than what I've used.

DC

got a bushnell range finder that gave up the ghost this year as well. had it 8 years. Only used it during hunting season and maybe ranged with it 12 times a year on average. always took the battery out after the season. That seems to be very poor quality for something that costs a couple hundred dollars......

>What's the average life expectancy of
>todays rangefinders provided one takes
>care of them?
>
>I have a Leupold RX-750 TBR
>that is approximately 5-6 years
>old that stopped working.
>I have never dropped it,
>never gotten it wet, don't
>leave it in the sun.
> I sent it in
>to Leupold for repair and
>they told me the electronics
>went out and it's not
>repairable. They are willing
>to sell me any rangefinder
>of my choice at 50%
>of MSRP but if I
>have to keep buying a
>rangefinder every 5-6 years from
>Leupold I'm seriously considering another
>brand. Your thoughts?

Had the same exact model that died on me a couple of years ago after I had it for about three years. Hadn't used it much at that time, probably pressed the ranging button less than 50 times. Even though out of warranty,I emailed customer service and expressed my disappointment at paying that much money for something that died so fast in otherwise like new condition. They had me send it in to see if it could be repaired. After a couple of weeks I checked back with them and found out they had just shipped me a new in the box replacement (newer model) and said it was an electronic circuit failure. Guess I got lucky they were willing to replace it for free even a couple of years out of warranty. Replacement is working fine so far!

I have a Leica 1200 that is ten years old and works fine. I gave my son a Bushnell that he still uses and it's 13 years old.

We also had two of the Leupold TBR and just replaced them this year. They were 7 years old. Both went out about the same time. Would not read correctly. My son works in the electronics industry. He says this problem is consistent with the lifespan of the type of chip used in the rangefinder.

))))------->

eight yrs befor opti-logic rangefinder went out. Offered 50% off a new one. Courious about vortex, they haven't been around long enough yet to really tell, but if they do stand up to the lifetime warranty-I'm sold. Everything I've heard about them is good so far.

I am sure that Leupold rangefinders are still made in China??? That said, you just need to b*&ch more. I have sent customers Leupolds in and had them replaced for free even out of warranty more than once.

Had a Leica 900 Scan I bought back in 2004. Used in 9 years. Sold it and upgraded to a 1600B. Never had any trouble with it in 9 years went on many hunts and just trips out to the dessert to target shoot long range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom