Rangefinders

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
How many of you use them antelope hunting? Which models? Been looking at the Bushnell 1000. Trying to justify another toy.

Phantom Hunter

Antelope in my expierience can be very difficult to range with any rangefinder and I have used alot of them. My brother in law has a Bushnell and has no complaints.

It's a valuable tool for me, especially when I'm hunting coyotes in open terrain. I have an older Leica 900. Great piece of equipment.

You won't be disappointed with one. I would choose one that has an inclometer in it. Also another thing I have come to really see after using my rangefinder is how much more accurate I have becoming at estimating the range of a target now. I think a rangefinder is a great tool.

My buddies have the Lieca 1200s. I broke down and bought the Lieca 1600s but haven't had a chance to hunt with them yet.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-11 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]My first range finder was purchased because I was going on an antelope hunt with my 12 year old son and I wanted to give him all the advantages I could to score. It was an old Bushnell, but it worked pretty well. Antelope are hard to target because of the bright sun and reflection in antelope country, but judging distance in the prairie without one is difficult at best. That being the case, I would now not hunt anything without one. It will give you a big edge in connecting.

Also it has also been my experience that the cheaper models will not consistently range as far as they claim. That is why I now carry a Leica 1200. It is pretty consistent out to 800yds not that I have ever tried to shoot that far.
Oh and by the way, my son killed a heavy 15" pronghorn on that hunt at 260 yds.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-11 AT 06:36AM (MST)[p]One thing to remember not all rangefinders are created equal especially when it comes to flat antelope country. You need one that is strong enough to range an antelope at long range while you're laying down prone in any weather. Not all rangefinders will do this. I prefer a rangefinder that will do it to 1000 yards for antelope. Not that I shoot to 1000 yards, but it helps with the stalk. If your big buck is 900 yards away and you're comfortable shooting 400 yards, then you have 500 yards left to get closer. Many times I've ranged terrian in front of me when faced with two different options for a possible shot and the rangefinder has let me know before I wasted 2 hours bellycrawling that it was still too far for a reasonable shot. I had the swavorski but the red circle in the center was too big and hard to get on the antelope so I sold it and got a Zeiss...so far so good. The problem is any rangefinder works good at the store when you step outside and range flat buildings and signs, but when its a deer or antelope standing in flat sage brush most of the cheaper models wont do it at extreme range.

A rangefinder is an very good tool. I have to agree with most of the previous posts. When I was looking I bought several different ones from Cabelas and tried them for a day then if it did not do what I wanted traded it on another. That was after the salesman suggested for me to do it that way. Most of the lower priced finders would read consistantly to about half the listed range. I opted to buy the Leica Geovids (pretty pricey) but I found that I would carry and use more since they are also my binoculars. I carry my 15x Swarovski's for the long range glassing. If money is not an object and you don't want to carry the Geovids I would look into the new G7 rangefinder. It has angle declination built in. You can enter wind into the unit for wind correction, altitude and humidity. You can look at it on www.gseven.com Not as expensive as the Geovids but still pretty pricey. That being said buy one! The best that you can afford and make sure to buy the longest range one that you can so that if it only reads half the distance you still are satisfied. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how it works for you.

+1 and +2 to the above.

I'm a Leupold fan but when it comes to their rangefinders I was VERY disappointed. I ended up with a Leica 1200 and have been pleased with my purchase ever since. There might be better ones out there so I'm always looking.

A rangefinder is one of the whizbang gadgets that I think is worth having and does not detract from the hunt. It helps us realize when we're too far to shoot. We owe that much to the animals we hunt!

Zeke

I have found that you get what you pay for in a range finder, probably more than anything else.

If you are bow hunting, then most will work. If you are ranging 300+, then the cheaper range finders seem to be hit and miss.

I really like the Leica 1200, and yes a very valuable tool.

If you're willing to shoot 250-500+yds, IMO, a rangefinder is a MUST HAVE item! Nobody, nobody can tell 375 from 450 yds in every situation but your bullet drop would be significantly different, enough to miss, cripple or wound an animal.

My first, only, and still present RF is a Nikon 800. I find it lacking on very few occasions and the only problem being having to twice change the batteries. I would upgrade to the Leica if i had the extra dough, but i don't. I'm grateful and happy with the product that i have.

Joey

I also have a Nikon 800 and have used/abused it for quite some time and it still works well. I agree with Joey, if you have the money, go with the Leica.

i think most everyone should have a good ranger...why the hell not? unless you shoot a recurve or a longbow, or an opensighted firearm and know well your effective ranges

most everyone above has made excellent points and good recommendations

the big number leicas will really reach way out there...and i've only used nikon models under 1000, but have found them to be acurate at pretty close to, and sometimes exceeding, their advertised ranging ability in most conditions

inclinometer/angle compensation is ideal as well, but most particularly for bowhunters

anyway, Good Luck!

ZEISS

One word - ZEISS! NOTHING is even close to the Victory RF binos. I have used most including the Geovids and once you use the Victory RF you will be convinced.

RE: ZEISS

Started with a Nikon......

Thought I upgraded to a Leupold (NOT!)

Bought a Leica CRF 1600 before last season, should not need another EVER!

Rangefinders are a must have in my opinion as well!

Vertical orientation/small!

I have the Swarovski rangefinder and have used it for 3 hunting seasons. Even though the magnification is only 8x, I carry this when I hunt and I leave the binoculars at home. The clarity is just that good. I had the first generation Leupold range finding binocular and was not impressed with the optics. I have only one functioning eye so a rangefinder is an absolute must. I really like this rangefinder for the kind of spot and stalk hunting that I do in Wyoming.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-11 AT 08:34AM (MST)[p]I have tried and returned several. As mentioned, Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski if you are rifle hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom