Rangefinders

D

dds

I am interested in knowing what types of rangefinders everyone is using.

Currently, I am using a Bushnell that ranges out to 500. It was given to me by a client a few years back. It works okay, if you have a really reflective target that is within 350 yards. After that, I don't really trust it.

Now, I really want to be able to range efficiently out to at least 600 yards in various conditions, i.e., cloud-cover, well-lit, dusk and dawn. I am also looking for a small unit that is easy to operate.

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks.

-Darren

Darren, thanks for posting this. This weekend while out scouting with a friend, we both have Bushnell 600 and they gaave different readings. Don't know it it weak betteries or just need to upgrade.

Thanks...

Scott G.

Darren: I am thinking about doing the same real soon. I used my bushnell 600 this weekend and could not get readings on things around 450 - 500 yards and this bothers me. I know this friday I will be hunting and the coues will not be an obvious target and I dont think the Bushnell will pick it up over around 300 yards. I need to know when I am shooting 4-500 yards and dont want that uncomfortable feeling of being unsure. I know some guys use the Leica 1200 and that is probably what I will go with unless there are some good posts here showing me something different. I think the Leica goes for around 450.00..... Allen......

Thanks guys!

From my initial research, I think I will try the Leica 1200. It is expensive, but it should be worth the money.

-Darren

Leica also has binos with infered distance reader in it...the 7x goes for about $2500...Cabela's has it!

Scott G.

Spectr: Thanks for the info, I end up overlooking the info on websites and going right to the talk forums.... Thanks, Allen.....

Spectr17,

Thanks.

I read the review. I think I'm sold on the Leica 1200.

-Darren

Well, I did it. I even spent the extra for next-day delivery so I can take it on my deer hunt. I am leaving on Thursday AM.

I just finished reading the reviews off Jesse's hunting page, and whenever I think the wife has calmed down from my other purchases, I am getting the 1200. DNR sports has them for 407.00....... Allen Taylor......

I just got the Leica 1200. I have not played with them to much, but they are small and I like the feel of them.

Well, I received the Leica 1200 today. I have only got to play with it for a little bit, but so far AWESOME!

Thanks for the help all.

I guess I could have saved some money had I waited a bit. Oh well.

-Darren

Darren: You did fine by cabelas and by getting the Leica 1200. Now that I have asked around and did some research, you got the best one out there..... Thanks, Allen......

Don't waste your time with companies like Hotbuybinoculars.

You can read about their rip offs and shyster service here.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1938.html

The horror stories about these types of companies you can find on all the hunting forums. One guy right now on the Go Go Varmint forum got burned at Hotbuybinoculars since he HAD to get the lowest price he could find. A buddy of mine ignored this same advice last year and had his credit card tied up for 3 months over $1,500 for a camcorder. He missed filming his elk hunt because he wanted to save some money by going with the lowest price he could find. How foolish.

My time is money and I really don't want to spend hours on the phone with some chain smoking Arab who wants to call me "babe" who's in a boiler room operation, arguing about why they won't cooperate or why they lied to me about a shipping date or if the item was even in stock.

One of the biggest horror stories I've seen is people who buy their binos thinking they have a USA warranty and they fond out they were lied to when they need service. Don't let some slick phone sales guy browbeat you into buying a gray market optic.

There's an old saying that goes something like "If it's too good to be true, then..........".

These types of rip off companies stay in business because there are schmucks out there who can't resist that low low price hook. Read about the first 5 reviews of Hotbuy, you'll get the gist of what type oepration they are.

~Jesse~spectr17

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/

Jesse-

Well I'm here to tell you that I got my Swav 15's from Hotbuysbinos...and they came thru like champs. I had a snag with my card...card compay problem, not hotbuys...Discover didn't post my payment on time, so the card got kicked, but they held the order an extra day and they sent my bonis the next day and I got them Mon...I feel they did a great job and I got the lowest price. I feel comfortable doing business with them and I would recommend them to anyone else! Do you think there was a problem with you buddies card and he just blamed Hotbuys to save embarassment?

I'm not trying to throw rocks or anything, just telling all about personal expereince with a co being slammed! They did a fine job, no real complaints (other then they are a bit rude, but to save another hundred, I can take it) hehe

Good luck and maybe soon I'll be buying more form them!

Scott G.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-02 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]Scott,

Read the first 10 reviews from customers and you'll see what type of operation they are. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get burned or hassled. The horror stories of Hotbuy are all over the hunting forums and USENT newsgroups.

They stay in business because they hook people in with their low low prices. Please don't recommend these guys because they are a boiler room rip off company.

If you really think these guys are on the up and up, then please explain all the customer complaints on Resellerratings and why they change their name every few months.

One other horror tale I hear a lot is the schmucks who buy from Hotbuy find out later the salesman lied to them about their supposed US warranty. Their optic turns out to be a gray market optic which means they get to send the optic to Europe and it's $100 or more for repair. So, do you really know what warranty you got or did you trust the RUDE lying salesman? *L*. If you read their info page you will see it say US warranties may be extra, as they specialize in GRAY market products.

Slamming, you're darn right and I'm one of the vast numbers doing it. These guys need to be shut down which is exactly what the BBB is trying to do. They've been caught pumping up their ratings on Ebay and if you'll read the Reseller reviews you can see where they slyly try and deflect all the customer rants.

So go ahead and throw those loaded dice, you may come up a winner and you may come up snake eyes. Wanna guess who has the better odds?

~spectr17

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/

personally, i have used the bushnell out to 340 and it gave me a accurate and percies reding out to there. a friend of mine has used it on a coues out to 500 yards and it worked fine. i guess it just depends on all of the variables out there in the field.
casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom