Rangefinders?

B

Benado

I posted this in the Genera Hunting section and it was recomended that I post it here also. I was wondering which rangefinder would be the best to use for archery. If any of you have one and like/don't like it, I would like to know.

I am a fan of the Bushnell Scout or Legend. The Legend is great is you need it to be waterproof. People will argue that Leica has better optics and may be more accurate at longer distances. I am a fan of Leica optics, but I think the Bushnell is more practical for bowhunting. Both of the models I mentioned are small units so you can keep them in a jacket pocket, etc. If I was rifle hunting or using my rangefinder as a primary source of optics, I may choose the Leica. But for my purposes for archery, I don't have a great need for long distance ranging and I carry a good set of binos for glassing. They have worked great for me.

I also have the scout and love it. When buying one make sure that it will read short yards many of them will not read short distances.

Another vote for the scout, very compact and lightweight and seems accurate. I also like that you can shoot through the rain. Steve

check out the new rangefinders by Opti-Logic. They include a feature that takes uphill/downhill angle into account, making them more usefull on non-level shooting surfaces (most hunting situations).

I believe I paid somewhere around $300 for a model that works out to 800 yards.

The Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout is a very good one. It's much smaller than any of the others I've played with and seems to be very accurate in any weather.

Only disadvantage is that it goes through batteries pretty quickly. You always have to have a spare and they cost about $8 I believe.

Cheers,
Pete

I recently got the "Legend" model by Bushnell. It's slighty larger than the Scout, but it will read out to about 900 yds.
I can use it for archery or rifle, and even in poor conditions, it will read further than I can shoot. It's still small enought to fit in a shirt pocket. For archery only, get the Scout.

I have the Bushnell Scout that worked great but fogged up. I carried them around my neck like binocs for a full days hike in wet weather and that did em in. When I took them to the store to be sent in fo repair they had another Scout that was also fogged up. 3 months time to get them back from Bushnell. This year they will stay protected during wet weather and if they fog up again will leave them where some one can find them and have a nice perk - for a while anyway!

I just purchased the new Bushnell "Trophy" version of their Yardage Pro model line. It is very small, has an ergomomic shape, a scan mode, and accurate from 5 yards out to 800 yards depending on the object. I played with it a bit this afternoon and am satisfied with its' functionality for my purposes. At a price just under $200 it's tough to beat.

You left that one wide open and if you got the money (which i dont or i'd have one) buy one of the new bushnell binoculars that have the rangfinder built into them. I have a big ol 500 yd. rangefinder that bushnell still makes that costs around $160 but it works.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom