RC oryx hunt

leftturnabq

Well, finally got my dad a tag drawn, and he put one down during the early afternoon of the first day.

We had to hunt a little harder than on previous trips, but finally got into close range of some relaxed animals that my uncle (who came out from Oklahoma to join us) and rabidrattlesnake spotted. Unfortunately, my dad got a little "buck fever" and took a little too long to calm down before he could take a shot.

I picked out a really nice bull from the bunch, but by the time he got on him the bull had turned and walked behind a broken horned oryx. We were fairly close and the more we waited the more antsy the oryx got, to the point where they started to line up and trot off. I tried keeping my dad on the big one, while he was trying to control his breathing. When he shot, I was watching the bull I was hoping he would shoot, but somehow we weren't on the same page. I heard the bullet hit and saw horns dip in my peripheral vision, and of course, all hell broke loose in a cloud of dust.

My dad racked another, and I told him to "hold his fire". I looked back at my uncle and rabidrattlesnake (who were watching the whoe thing from another 100 yards back) and asked if they saw the hit, but they only heard it as well.

So we approached to where the animals were and found this young bull fighting to get up with a high hit to the spine disabling his rear legs. One more shot to the boiler room at 20 yards put him down for good.

He measures 31" and some change. A young bull, but great eating and he'll make an awesome skull mount.

The most important part is that we had fun and my dad is very happy with him. According to my dad, this was his last hunt...we'll see about that.

7012dad.jpg

Congratulations on a great hunt with your dad. How were the hunt conditions and did you see a lot of animals? I have a tag in Jan for RC and can not wait.

I'm starting to believe all the talk that this is becoming a tougher hunt than it used to be, because we did not see anywhere near the numbers of animals we saw on hunts we went on about 10 years ago.

However, it's still a pretty easy hunt, really. Just glass a lot, sneak in and be ready to take the shot when it is presented. Tall shooting sticks are a must...I had my dad on a Bog Pod tripod. I thik it made all the difference in the world, except it couldn't do anything to calm his nerves.

My dad had a couple of opportunities on larger animals, but he got a little excited. Which I think is a good thing. It's cool that he still gets excited about it.

The weather was beautiful, if not a little too warm.

I would say we saw approximately 60 animals in all, of which about 5 of those looked to have horns that would be over 36". Which is pretty good considering we did not really cover a lot of ground. We spent a lot of time on stalks...I think we had 5 different attempts before he connected.

You can still road hunt and kill off of the road. In fact a friend tagged a 37"+ bull on Sunday, 70 yards off of the road.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-10 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]That is a fine looking oryx! Why do you say a young bull? I always thought with that many rings a the bases and shiny horns it was a mature bull... maybe I'm wrong. I would think no matter how old a oryx gets, depending on genetics, it won't always reach 40" (or close). Anyways, Congrats again!

It's very hard to tell from the pic (pictures can be very deceiving), but this was a young animal. I'm not going from the length of his horns, but from his body size, teeth, etc.

The 2 - 36" bulls I've killed as well as the 39" bull Rabidrattlesnake killed were 75 to 100 lbs heavier. I don't remember exactly what they weighed, but this one was 245 lbs of hanging meat. We picked up the meat last night and got back 170 lbs...not bad at all, but that includes a lot of hamburger and sausage (beef and pork fat added).

The variance in body size is one of the things I think really throw you off when field judging these animals. They can appear to be a lot bigger than they really are because everything looks proportionate. I notice that the big bodied, mature bulls look really well muscled in their front shoulders and "hump" area. Their muscles stand out like a well built horse in it's summer coat.

Although if you take a good look at the pic, the 15" rule for the head does apply to this animal as his horns are only a little longer than twice the length of the head. Typically, what you want is something 2-1/2 times the length of the head or better.

He does carry pretty good mass in his horns, and will make a very cool Euro mount.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-10 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Here's another pic with my dad, my uncle (dad's little brother) and myself. The date is wrong as it was actually 10-9-10.

3467dad_me_and_leo.jpg

>One of the Village People??
>
>Just joking, dont tell him I
>said that.

Hah!! That's exactly what I called him. The suggestion was made to put his shirt back on, but...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom