Re-Bluing

J

Jake_Sorensen

Okay so here is the deal this weekend I gave one of those do it yourselfer bluing kits a whirl on my old model 94 30-30, and I don't know if I just suck at doing it or if the kit just sucks or if its both, but needles to say I muffed my gun up bad, there is rust in places that there was never rust before, and I just can't get the metal to go blue it just goes a silver color so my first question is can a gunsmith save my gun, cause I've just about given up, or is it to Late and my gun is ready to give up the ghost, second what do yall think it will cost me to have the whole gun reblued, and last of all does anyone know a good gunsmith around Salt Lake that could do it for a resonable price.

Jake

As you found out, cold bluing is only good for touch up at best. you need to get some 0000 steel wool and use a gun oil with it to take off the rust spots before they get worse and pit the metal. Having a gunsmith reblue the rifle will run you 125.00 to 200.00, depending how much he has to repair the damage that you may have done. If there is metal pits, it means more polish time and the price gets higher.
Also at a certain serial number, Winchester changed the metal alloy in their 94's receiver and they will not hot blue like the older rifles. If your rifle is ten years or more older, you should not have to worry about the metal alloy change.
If you locate a gunsmith that will blue the rifle at a far cheaper price then others, make sure to look at some of his re-blue work to make sure he knows how to polish the metal. Look for signs of lettering being washed out on one side, flat sides having waves in the polish, sharp lines being rounded off. If you see any of this, go to the next smith and look at his work.
As it now stands, your gun is only worth the amount you would get for buying it for parts, but with a very good polish and re-blue it can look even better then when it was new and it's value will be upped very much.

RELH

Thanks RELH, for the 0000 steel wool is that just the same stuff i get from Home Depot? I got this gun used for a Christmas present when I was 12 so about 12 years ago, from my step-grandpa (I often wonder the legal aspects of this gun, because he is retired from the sherrifs department and he gave it to me on conditions that I never ever try to sale it, so I wonder if he confinscated it from someone and decided to keep it, but it was pretty worn when I got it so I want to give it a man's make over or something like that. So I have a question will a gun smith check the serial number cause if they do I don't want the Police knocken at my door and throwen me in cuffs because of recieving what I now suspect to be illegitamate gift even though I don't have proof that it is one. And last of all does anyone have a recommendation on a gunsmith in the Salt Lake Valley?

Jake

Jake;

Yes the 0000 steel wool can be found at any hardware store. It is fine enought that it will only remove the rust and not any existing blueing. I also sent you a private E-mail giving further details.

RELH

RELH, thanks I didn't get your email so check your inbox. I also have another question for RELH or anyone that might know after taking the stock off my 30-30 the wood inside is not in good shape it almost looks like it has started to rot away mainly just on the front handle(I don't remember if there is a special name for it but yall get my drift)? does anyone know where in Salt Lake or on the web I could buy an unfinished stock, cause I wanna make this gun look almost like new.

Thank you for all your Help!

Jake

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom