Re: I drew XX hunt where do I go

nitis

Re: I drew XX hunt where do I go

This the season for everyone who draws tags for areas that many have no idea where the unit is on a map. For some people I know they truly enjoy the adventure of learning a new area while others simply have no idea where to start. For me this can be frustrating at times as I have been going to some of these places since I was a kid and I feel some entitlement over someone who has no idea how to even drive there. Yes we all have to start somewhere so I am learning to deal with it.

So for all those who want to flame on me so be it I don't care. I got two tags in my pocket this year and one is for someplace I've never been but my brother has and he is helping me out.

Here's some links to help those who have no idea where to start. I've always said buy a map and hit the road. If you've never been to a place you have a tag for and don't have time to scout remember you have time to return your tag but if you do do so early so someone has a chance to use it.

http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/category-s/1842.htm

Nice maps

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en.html

Some of these people are very helpful and they have nice cheap maps as well

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_index.aspx?mwo=1

Cause you're gunna need to find the best gas prices for your scouting trip.

Nevada does not 're issue big game tags...
Ever here this before?
"This land is your land.......this land is my land" !!
I am a non resi hunter and kinda feel the same way about
the locals who hunt in you great state!
Jester

LAST EDITED ON May-25-14 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]I am also a non resident

And yes they do re- issue tags. Hence the reason you check if you want to be an alternate or not. I know of several people who have gotten tags at a later date some as late as the week before the hunt opened.

All I am trying to do is offer some cheap advice to the people who have non idea where they are going because they applied for a tag they know little if anything about.

These kinda threads are almost as enjoyable as the where do I go threads.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

You forgot google earth....a great place to start. I'll click on pics in the area so I can get an idea of the terrain and vegetation. Also can see what elevations the mountains are. It's ok to ask for a good place to start. Some guys will give u more and some will give u none! I'll always give guys a nugget if I know they genuinely need help. I've been drawn for several areas I didn't know and all info I've received from others was greatly appreciated and I ALWAYS let them know how the hunt went when I get back.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Last you I surrendered a tag and asked about re-iss...e twice and was told they do not once issued..

I understand the whole thing about behind this tree or up this valley. But sometimes fellow hunters are just asking for information like road conditions, nearest gas station, or if I can get a RV in there. I have always had good results from M M members. I have also made some good friends by just asking. Thanks for the links to the map sites.

As a person who has been on both ends of the "needing info" situations multiple time I can understand why many people do not want to give out any specific info, or any at all, but there are some who do not mind and I greatly appreciate it when they have helped me, and I always try and respond when I see someone asking about an area that I have hunted, especially a limited draw area as it is not likely for someone to get to hunt in those units more than once or twice in many years of trying. I have had the good luck to hunt in Nevada on what used to be easy to get archery tags, then later draw N.R. tags in Nevada for elk, antelope, and now deer this year. In both instances of the limited draw hunts a few people pointed me in the general direction where they had had some success. I bought maps, spent many hours looking at google earth, got there days before to find the areas I had looked at on paper, some times I am able to make scouting trips, sometimes not I have also been able to help others that drew those areas after I had. For me talking with them and reliving my hunts helped me to enjoy the experience again, the units I drew for were not over crowded due to Nevada's managing those hunts for a quality experience. In my home state areas that I am able to hunt regularly or at least every other year, I will admit I am a bit more picky with who I help out with specific info, but I always will at least point someone in the general area and if they find my Honey Hole, I hope it is when I am not there! Good luck to everyone that was lucky enough to draw this year

yes NV does re-issue tags, i know more then several people who have gotten a call for a tag that has been turned in. They ask you right on your application if you want to be considered for one.

As far as helping people, i have helped quite a few on here with different areas that they know nothing about. Some of them have been good and thanked me, others have not even said "thanks" even after they killed a very nice buck in an area i told them about. So i am a bit cautious sometimes, i always ask about them first, where they are from, what plans do they have, etc.
I have even had people tell me that they drew such and such area and need help...well the first thing i always do is look up thier name and see what they drew. I found one guy who didn't draw a tag but was acting like he did to find out information for his brother or someone. I still helped him to a general area and they killed a very nice buck.....I don't believe he even said thanks. Believe me he is on my watch list and will never ever get help from me again...other then to point him in the wrong direction.
So moral of the story is...if you want or ask for help and get it, then take time to PERSONNALLY thank whoever it was that helped you!!! Other wise you might find yourself getting sent to crappy restaurants, flea bag motels, and hunting in a waste land, and that could get very expensive if your coming all the way across the country.

I was an alternate last year who received a tag three weeks before the season. I had a blast and killed an awesome buck. If youre gonna turn one back do it early!!!

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

I have helped out quite a few people over the years. I have always asked to hear how the hunt went because I like to be involved and it also increases my knowledge of the area. Not even 10% of the guys get back to me after the hunt so I have decreased the amount of help I'm willing to give.

The mountains, not the hills.

Helping others is what you make of it. I have helped people drag out their deer and have barely gotten a thanks. Others will offer you a beer or dinner at their camp. Others have become friends. No one (including me) is going to tell someone where a big buck is if they also have a tag in pocket, but that is no reason not to share general information or be a jerk about it. MM has always had a few great people who were willing to offer info, even if it was advice to check on another web site. And I have tried to return the favor when possible. Scouting is very expensive when you live out of state, and even if someone can tell you areas not to waist time in that is helpful.

This year I hope to be hunting the late Kaibab deer season and my son should draw an AZ youth muzzy deer tag. Both of these hunts are once in a lifetime hunts. I will look forward to any info someone can offer, and I will pass on info about my hunts the following year to any that ask.

Bill

I have met guys and given them coordinates on their printout map of where to start a hunt. Did it last year and the guy was very grateful (from Idaho). He wanted to know the general areas the elk hide around Kamas, so I told him. I also told him to grab a BLM map because there is a ton of private.

It is good to see hunters helping other hunters, there are to many anti hunters to deal with as it is. I have hunted the Kiabab before (12A-W late). P M me if you need help.

NVHunter I went back and looked at some of my past P Ms. You helped me out on a 034 deer hunt in 2012. I my not have said thanks and told you how we did. Any how thanks for the info you were spot on. We had a great hunt and I shot a 28" buck, my partner went home with tag soup. Some times it don't hurt to look at your back tracks, even when the snow has melted.

LAST EDITED ON May-26-14 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]fish...sent you a pm

I don't at all mind helping others. I usually don't give my best spots...but i have in a couple of instances given them just that. Doesn't mean it's the best spot in the area, just what i know to be best to me.
Most have been great, in fact i can only think of 1 time they didn't seem to be appreciative.
I know i have also asked for information even when i know the area fairly well. There are always things other people know that I don't.
If someone does help you out especially on areas that you know nothing about, it's always good to go out of your way to say thanks to that person who helped you.
I look at it no different then a land owner that let you hunt his property, saying thanks goes a long ways towards good relations!

wtf nvb?????....I never got a pic.....

1283eagle_government.jpg

>I have helped out quite a
>few people over the years.
> I have always asked
>to hear how the hunt
>went because I like to
>be involved and it also
>increases my knowledge of the
>area. Not even 10%
>of the guys get back
>to me after the hunt
>so I have decreased the
>amount of help I'm willing
>to give.
>

Ain't that the truth! Some guys want the help but don't want to share the hunt experience once they're done. Lazy or unappreciative dudes I guess.
Zeke
Zeke

I've been a member here for a long time and contributed a ton of photos and stories over the years, over this time my son and I have drawn tags in areas we've never been before and I've asked for help sometimes.
I've been here close to 15 years and feel like I have numerous friends here that have chatted with me both online, on the phone and at the shows.
Having followed my posts over the years, there were numerous guys that stepped up when I've asked for help and their info had always proven to be very helpful.
I'd bend over backwards for any of those guys at any time and always gave them my heartfelt thanks, going out of my way to publicly thank them and had absolutely no qualms about returning the favor if I was able to help them out with something.
If you play the drawing game in numerous states like so many of us do these days, there will be a time that you sure could use a little help, being a contributor here and getting to know folks can certainly be a big bonus, but some guys will always get put off by those asking for help and feel the need to post callout threads.

Now that is what I like to see.
A lot more positive than negative comments on a thread that started out on the negative side. Fishrite (George) I received you pm and will hopefully be getting in touch after the draw, thanks.

Bill

Ok this thread went about how I expected

What bugs me is I know there are tons of people who do little to no research before applying aside from maybe draw odds. Then they come here with their handout. And I honestly feel many don't have a clue where they are even going or how to get there. That's why I press the issue of buying maps.

No it's not realistic to make multiple scouting trips if any so if you don't know the area or at least what roads are passable or not you will be at a sever disadvantage.

And I will not discourage anyone for returning a tag they do get re issued so if you don't think you can pull off a good hunt let someone else go then you roll the dice again next year.

Have I given or received help from different people here and other places yes. Am I very selective maybe.

Good luck to all that have tags and to those who didn't draw this year better luck next year.

Wow you got me.

People also act like they are putting in for 5 totally different areas in Nevada. Not so much

I like to try for 2-3 areas I know. But each of those areas have 3-4 seasons! So I'm really only putting in for two units and multiple seasons.

Did you learn about maps in '11? :)

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I feel like we are all united because we are hunters and its go screw the world outside of these sites. But when you put so many hunters in a tight confined areas we have to have a pissing match about things that dont matter just because. Help a brother out, if you draw the tag and dont want to give out information, understandable, otherwise you might as well help a guy out and see his kill photos. just my .02

I did put in for 5 totally different areas as I'm sure most do
The only place I have been is the Las Vegas strip.If people want to help out its their choice not yours.Not all put in for 3 units and follow your model of applying.If you don't feel like helping someone don't reply"THAT SIMPLE".You look like a foooooooooooooooooool.

I'll admit that I'm selective in who I help out. Not a lot of posts on here but I'm on here every day just not logged in. I've had a lot of help for hunts that I've drawn and I do my best to help fellow hunters in there quest for a successful hunt, especially when no one else offers and I have some knowledge of the area. I may not be the best at following up with the people that help me, but in my mind I'm most greatful to all those fellow hunters that are willing to help others.

Here's another thing to consider....many of these units or tags consist of SEVERAL different maps. I know when I hunted goats in 132-134, 245, there were 3 different maps that were required to cover all of the units for the tag. I bought all the maps BEFORE I asked for help which was a total waste of money. I only needed one map and if I had asked before I bought maps, I'd have saved about $50.
Not trying to be a jerk, nitis, but everybody needs help and some go about it in a different way. There is no wrong way...

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom