Re-Issue Tags-Why not? Poll

Would you like to see a license re-issue program in WY?

• Yes

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Southpawshooter

I would like to see Wyoming start a program like Colorado's reissued tag program. In Colorado hunters can return their tags for any reason up to 30 days before season and have their points reinstated to pre-draw levels. Nevada's system allows you to return a tag and gain a point.

Returned tags are then placed onto a re-issued list for hunters to buy. I believe if you return your tag, and want your points returned, you forfeit the price of the license. If a tag is returned within 30 days of the season they need a serious medical reason, family member dies, etc.

G&F could actually generate some revenue by doing this too. Maybe when you apply you would be required to select if you want to be considered for a reissued tag. If you select yes the G&F can charge you $10-20 to be eligible. This would off-set any expenses incurred by the G&F.

There would need to be some changes like 30 days prior to rifle season, or if you purchased an archery license and the archery season opened, you can't return your tag. If a person picks up a moose, sheep, or mountain goat license it would be OIL. NR would lose their points if they pick up a reissued tag, which would help with point creep.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would be in favor of a reissue program for residents only. I wouldn't blame colorado for doing the same.

I have mixed feeling on residents getting priority. I totally understand why residents would want it. Personally, I enjoy the fact that I have a shot at a returned tag in CO or NV as a NR. Some tags would naturally go to a NR, such as Region deer tags or general NR elk tags. There's no reason for a resident to pick those tags up.

Why create a problem where none currently exist?
I think the problem is people not hunting. We all know we have limited resources and we all definitely have limited time on this earth. If someone isn't using a tag, why not give it to someone who will? No one's dream will be realized with a LQ license sitting on someone's shelf not being used. We talk about getting more people in the field, and this gets more people in the field.

What you end up with is someone drawing a tag, scouting, not finding the right animal and then turning a tag back in. This became a big problem in Utah... so much that now if you return a tag, you no longer acquire a point. Utah will reinstate the points it took to draw a tag, but no more "renting" tags every year. I have no problem with people returning tags but if you do, then you need to eat the full cost and you shouldn't gain a point. The benefit is that you are still eligible to draw next year. Utah, like other states, has exceptions to this rule such as military deployment, etc.

I see your point Travis. However, if a NR returns a tag what's the big deal? A resident scouts and sees nothing they're hunting anyways. The only time I see that being a problem with residents would be moose or sheep. Residents don't have points for DEA.

We talk about getting more people in the field, and this gets more people in the field.
I'm not sure more people in the field is a good thing. In fact, many are saying now that RRR may have caused some of the current issues we have now with drawing odds.

I see your point Travis. However, if a NR returns a tag what's the big deal? A resident scouts and sees nothing they're hunting anyways. The only time I see that being a problem with residents would be moose or sheep. Residents don't have points for DEA.
why is it always DEA? Why not alphabetical like ADE? And shouldn’t it technically be DEP? This would also make it alphabetical…

Probably some guys searching for stuff regarding the OG of the DEA (drug enforcement agency) wondering wtf all these threads are about..

For NR tags or Resident tags that take points i think someone needs a bona fide reason to turn the tag back in like death in the family or medical issue.

Too many people draw a tag, scout and then turn it back in when they don't find what they are looking for.

Random tags i don't think this is an issue

If someone turns a tag back in, I think reissue is a great thing.

Guys rarely turn sheep, moose or mtn goat tags back in. Wyoming has a medical carry over regulation in place which allows the tagholder to hunt the following year on their license.

Guys rarely turn sheep, moose or mtn goat tags back in. Wyoming has a medical carry over regulation in place which allows the tagholder to hunt the following year on their license.
More than you think...5 or 6 Nevada residents turned back desert sheep tags last year.

I think there should definitely be a provision for NR to return a tag and get points restored. Should there be limits and a cost to do so ? Yes, most definitely or else the system gets abused and becomes unfair to other trying to draw.
I would love to see Wy adopt a provision like AZ or CO either one.

More than you think...5 or 6 Nevada residents turned back desert sheep tags last year.
The 2021 total NV ram returns were about 20 DBS rams and one CA BHS ram.

Of those, 7 DBS ram tags (all RES) made it all the way to NV FCFS - where 5 of 7 were converted to NR tags by the FCFS software.

WY - be careful what you ask for and exactly how the process and software are designed. Return/reissue processes are especially susceptible to scheming. CO & NV will never understand how badly they were played by bots and the "click-farms" at the major tag application services.

Aside - 100% of the premium archery bull tag returns from NV units 111, 222 & 231 were returned by RES and 100% were converted to NR tags by NV FCFS (10 tags total). Ask yourself whether you would want 100% of the bull tag returns from WY-124 and WY-100 to end up in NR hands due to a bot or tag application service using high speed trunk lines.

Last edited:
I'm all for programs that re-issue returned tags. I just think they should be offered to residents of the state first. Whatever they can't sell to residents should be available to non-residents.-----SS

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom