Recommendations on camcorder / digital camera?

CDub

I am looking to buy a camcorder/digital camera for use in the field while hunting. I would like it to be as small as possible, have good zooming capabilities, and take good quality digital pictures.

I don't have much experience with this, so I was hoping some of you could help, as I have seen some of the awesome pics you have posted in this forum. I was looking at cameras last night, and was partial to the Sony with the 10X optical and 120X digital zoom. Is this a good camera? If not, what would you recommend?

Do you want a camcorder, a still camera, or a combination??

I don't know too much about the camcorder types, but I can help a bit with the still camera. -TONY

I would recommend getting one that had as much OPTICAL zoom as possible. The image will be much, much clearer that what digital zoom will give you.

I've got a Sony TRV-10 miniDV with the 10x zoom and it works good out to about 50 yards with the 1.7x tele lens on it too. Forget digital zoom, you'll never use it because it causes the image to get too grainy.

Canon I think has some out with some small 10x optical zoom cams.

If you can stand a bigger cam the Canon GL2 has 20x optical zoom but it's 3 times bigger and heavier than the smaller miniDV cams.

I've got some more info and some still pics off my cam at this link. Keep in mind my cam is 3 years old so the some of the specs like pixel count on stills are lower compared to today's models.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/video.html

~spectr17

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/

i use a GL-2, i just bought it. wow! what a camera! the stills are so good, they are by far the best on any camcorder. if you shop around you should be able to find one for about 1700.00 bucks. the best there is in my opinion. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!
AQ.

I agree. I bought a GL-2 last fall and have used it on several hunts and scouting. The video is awesome and it takes great stills as well. Yes, that grade of cameras is big but the quality is worth it.

I just got back from Utah elk hunting and had my cousin running my GL-2 right beside me. Another guy with us had a new VX-2000 Sony. Both were equiped with Sony 1.7x doublers. The Sony took great footage as well but has a much lower stock optical zoom (12x). With the 1.7x on it it makes the optical zoom on the Sony at about 21x whereas that lens on my GL-2 puts it at 34x. There is a huge difference in the quality of video you can get from a distance. I would always recommend the GL-2 for that reason as any differences in quality are negligable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom