Refurbished Sheds - Almost Done

Pines_N_Tines

So far I give myself an A for effort but I'm not quite ready to give myself a high grade for the outcome. This is the first time that I've tried to refurbish a shed. Many of the hard-core shed hunters on here probably wouldn't give this set the time of day. It has meaning to me, in that this set is the first that my 8-year-old found/aquired on his own and the bases are awesome with 19 protrusions over 1/2", 10 of which are at least 1" and scorable. He found the side that had not been chew by coyotes and then did a fine job of talking one of the others in our party out of the chewed side to complete his set.

Here it is

SonsFirstSet.jpg

3pointATL2010_Noface.jpg

We did good that day. His set is circled along with a fresh brown 4 point that I picked up close to where my son found his. I used the 4 point as my basis for color matching.

Agoodshedday2010_highlights.jpg

The set had definitely weathered in the sun for several years. It had some severe cracking and chalking. They coyote chews didn't help either.

Here's how they looked.

101_0631.jpg

101_0632.jpg

101_0633.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

I wish I could remember the name of the poster that posted up a shed that he did a couple years ago. I would like to give him credit. I used the method he described to fix this set. He used wood filler for the cracks, lots of sanding for the chalk, and Van Dyke's Brush on Wipe Off antler paint. FIrst I had to deal with the missing/coyote chewed ends. I didn't have any donor muley shed that matched the mass and curvature. I did have some old elk bone that became a great donor. I cut the tips off, drilled them and super glued 1/4" bolts into the drilled holes.

101_0636.jpg

101_0637.jpg

101_0638.jpg

After more wood filler to close the gaps, a dremel tool around the bases, and final sanding it was time for the van dykes antler paint. I used all four colors in the kit to achieve the closest color of the four point.

100_1761.jpg

Here's the four point ATL
ATL4pointwithdecentmass.jpg

Here's the fresh brown four point with the refurbished set
100_1764.jpg

As I mentioned earlier the bases make this otherwise decent three point set a one of a kind set.

19overhalfinch10scoreable.jpg

Oops! I meant >1/2" in the photo.
My son is happy with his refurbished set. I haven't sealed the color yet as I may try to lighten it just a little to get an exact match. Next step is a mountain mikes skull.

I also found a set like that and it is almost worthless due to the condition its in. You read my mind. I will try to do the exact same thing with my set.

8720first_2012_shed_trip_020.jpg

I fugure its worth a shot and will get started when I have some time.

Non-Typical,

I didn't mix all four colors together at once but all four colors are on the antlers. This was the first antlers that I have tried. On my next try I will start with a burnt umber/golden carmel mix for the base coat and then add some red clay for highlights and around the base area. The black is just used to darken up the paint for veining and other darker areas.

Elk Sniper,

Postem up if you get around to doing it. It takes alot of time, but you'll feel rewarded at the end of it.

Pines_N_Tines
Thank you so much this is exactly the kind of help I was hoping for! The pictures were great also! So I just have a couple questions: When you say "wood filler" are you just talking about a hardening wood puddy? What color/brand did you use? Also did you sand the chalky parts off, fill the cracks with the wood filler, and then re-sand it smooth? Sorry about all the questions, but I really want this to turn out for me as this is the best set I have ever found. Thanks again for the help!

T Carlen,

I used Elmers carpenter's wood filler - White. It was the tube kind that you can squeeze to apply a thin bead and then work it into the cracks with your finger. I did sand the chalk off. Around the bases I used a Dremel tool with a small Sphere grinding head. It was the only way to get into the nooks and crannies. I did sand the filler back down to a smooth surface.

Are you going to try the Vandykes antler tine rebuilding kit?

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Antler-Tine-Rebuilding-W27C2407.aspx

Those turned out very good! I am impressed. Very creative and well worth your time. Thanks for posting

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Great job!! I will post one that I did a few years back on an elk with cornmeal, linseed oil and mulch.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

I don't know if I'm going to try the Van Dykes rebuilding kit, or just use a two part epoxy clay that will take the Wild Antler Magic coloring kit. I have practiced with the wam and feel like I could make it look pretty good. Am I missing out by not going with the van dykes?

Dang man, that one turned out NICE! Was the Van Dykes brush on, whipe off pretty easy to get the hang of?

Mass-n-Trash,

I'm glad you posted your link. Your post was my inspiration. You are the one that I wanted to give credit to. I wish i would have talked to you first. It looks like you used the burnt umber first followed by the red clay? Whatever you did it came out really good. Thanks for posting it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom