Refurbished & Sporterized Hunting Guns

elkfromabove

Very Active Member
Per 2Lumpy's post #105-HUNT EXPO, here is some of my work. I'll add more as I can.

Mossberg 910 aht - 30-06
before:

after:

View attachment 136431

20210301_061837.jpg

20210301_062124 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I hate computers, especially ones with artificial intelligence/Bing! This is the second day my son-in-law and I have tried to post the before pictures from the supplier, but this system doesn't recognize things ending in .webp. I finally decided to just print the photos on my printer and take a picture of them on my phone camera and now my computer can't find my camera! So we sent the picture to my email, but when I tried to post it on this forum, all I get is a link to the photos that doesn't work. I'll try for a while longer, but in the meanwhile, here's a couple more guns with no before's available:

Mossberg 800b--.243 Sold

Krico 971--30.06 Sold (Stock was too dark to show tiger stripes)

20220423_142259.jpg

20220423_142316.jpg

20220423_142334.jpg

20220419_153740.jpg

20220419_153801.jpg

20220419_153808.jpg

Came out great!!
Really like the wood, just to nice to hunt with.
Like all computer stuff (including vehicles), great when they work and a real pain when they don’t.

I hate computers, especially ones with artificial intelligence/Bing! This is the second day my son-in-law and I have tried to post the before pictures from the supplier, but this system doesn't recognize things ending in .webp. I finally decided to just print the photos on my printer and take a picture of them on my phone camera and now my computer can't find my camera! So we sent the picture to my email, but when I tried to post it on this forum, all I get is a link to the photos that doesn't work. I'll try for a while longer, but in the meanwhile, here's a couple more guns with no before's available:

Mossberg 800b--.243 Sold

Krico 971--30.06 Sold (Stock was too dark to show tiger stripes)

View attachment 136495

View attachment 136497

View attachment 136500

View attachment 136503

View attachment 136504

View attachment 136505
Once again, very well done.

Have you tried your hand at reblueing as well?

Came out great!!
Really like the wood, just to nice to hunt with.
Like all computer stuff (including vehicles), great when they work and a real pain when they don’t.
Thanks!
Maybe I should tone it down a bit. My goal with these guns is to put them back into the field, but not loose into the bed of the truck. People tend to take better care of nicer things that are hard to replace. It's like your Sunday suite. You gladly wear it to church, but carefully put it away when you get home.

I'm not a gunsmith and don't want to be. And I don't have the time, money, tools, skills, space, agility, ability or desire to make these guns look like the ones you see on the internet. You see them on a screen on this forum, but if you have them on your lap, you will find "flaws" according to the "proper" way to do it. Yes, I'm a Bubba, but I want to be the best Bubba in Southern Utah. When I post my first milsurp (military surplus), we'll talk about my goals for those guns. Meanwhile, have fun and be safe in your hunts!

Once again, very well done.

Have you tried your hand at reblueing as well?
Thanks!
Yes, cold blueing with 5 or 6 coats of SuperBlue! In fact, I remove rust, pits and scratches, and I reblue all of them and all parts that need it, even the ones that just show excessive wear. (I'm now going to reblue them with a mixture of SuperBlue and PermaBlue in the hopes that the cold blueing will last longer.)
Also, I break all of them down as much as I dare to clean them and work on all of the parts that need work, even the slings. And some of the guns I buy are cheap because of missing or broken parts which I can fix or replace. And because I like recycling, most of the recoil pads, scopes, scope mounts are used.
That may sound like a lot of boring work, but I'm having a ball doing it. :giggle:

Doesn’t sound at all boring…..to me. It sounds rewarding, in many different ways.

I’ve been half heartily wanting to do some of the same. After seeing your work, I can feel my pulse increasing in that regard.

I need to start prowling through some pawn shops, to find some pieces to get started on.

Thank you for adding fuel to my smoldering fire.

Today I'm gonna show you some guns I rebuilt but couldn't dare sell or keep!
16 gauge PINFIRES!!! (11 of them, some without pictures)
And why couldn't I sell or keep them? They're all hand made with no matching parts that fit, their internal safety mechanisms are unreliable, and they all require hard-to-find special brass cartridges that are only made in Europe and that are risky to reload, carry and install in the gun. I only found one dealer in Europe who was willing to sell me the cartridges in a $33 kit that contains detailed instructions, a 16ga cartridge and enough pins and pads for 10 shots. (I just looked online and saw that some pinfire cartridges were available in the US.) In any case, they are too complicated to load and risky to handle and if you don't know what you are doing, they are very dangerous. AND you must use ORIGINAL black powder! I just couldn't risk selling them to others or having one off my great grandkids finding them in the closet and loading them with the latest gun powder available. So, what did I do with them? I took them apart and gave the barrels to my son-in-law to build some kind of benches or playground equipment for the back yard and the stocks went to a friend who is making some butterfly Christmas tree ornaments for me. The stocks make gorgeous wings! I wish now I would have kept the brass to make handles for the casket I'm having built for my departure, but alas, I just threw them in the garbage. Oh well, I'll just have to delay my departure! Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

Pinfire16ga-1.jpg

Pinfire16ga-3.jpg

Pinfire16ga-5.jpg

Pinfire16ga-6.jpg

Pinfire16ga-8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
Yes, cold blueing with 5 or 6 coats of SuperBlue! In fact, I remove rust, pits and scratches, and I reblue all of them and all parts that need it, even the ones that just show excessive wear. (I'm now going to reblue them with a mixture of SuperBlue and PermaBlue in the hopes that the cold blueing will last longer.)
Also, I break all of them down as much as I dare to clean them and work on all of the parts that need work, even the slings. And some of the guns I buy are cheap because of missing or broken parts which I can fix or replace. And because I like recycling, most of the recoil pads, scopes, scope mounts are used.
That may sound like a lot of boring work, but I'm having a ball doing it. :giggle:

I have done the same thing. It’s fun! Only done one so far, but learned a lot doing it. I used the same things you did on a cheap, low risk rifle.

Today I'm gonna show you some guns I rebuilt but couldn't dare sell or keep!
16 gauge PINFIRES!!! (11 of them, some without pictures)
And why couldn't I sell or keep them? They're all hand made with no matching parts that fit, their internal safety mechanisms are unreliable, and they all require hard-to-find special brass cartridges that are only made in Europe and that are risky to reload, carry and install in the gun. I only found one dealer in Europe who was willing to sell me the cartridges in a $33 kit that contains detailed instructions, a 16ga cartridge and enough pins and pads for 10 shots. (I just looked online and saw that some pinfire cartridges were available in the US.) In any case, they are too complicated to load and risky to handle and if you don't know what you are doing, they are very dangerous. AND you must use ORIGINAL black powder! I just couldn't risk selling them to others or having one off my great grandkids finding them in the closet and loading them with the latest gun powder available. So, what did I do with them? I took them apart and gave the barrels to my son-in-law to build some kind of benches or playground equipment for the back yard and the stocks went to a friend who is making some butterfly Christmas tree ornaments for me. The stocks make gorgeous wings! I wish now I would have kept the brass to make handles for the casket I'm having built for my departure, but alas, I just threw them in the garbage. Oh well, I'll just have to delay my departure! Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

View attachment 136616

View attachment 136617

View attachment 136618

View attachment 136619

View attachment 136620
Those old timers figured how to build stuff. As they say, the road to ingenuity is piled high with products that didn’t make the grade. Still cool to see preserve the progression.

1959 Husqvarna 1640-30.06-Sold
before: I'm still having issues with the before pictures, but basically, this rifle had roughly painted silver barrel, trigger, bolt, and action, while the stock was roughly painted black.

After: This one took some time! (Double click on picture for a closer look.)

gun#11Husq1640stripe-1.jpg

gun#11Husq1640stripe-2.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I didn't anticipate the need or desire to show the before and after photos, so I didn't document/identify most of my photos. However, here are a few that I remember working on. (The two unfinished stocks were Winchester 100's and I remember them because I had to replace a recalled firing pin and it took some time and effort to get the replacements.) In any case, from this point on, the photos will be from guns that I'm currently working on. Please be patient.

20210301_063301.jpg

20210301_064246 (1).jpg

20210301_071208.jpg

20210301_065517.jpg

20210301_070513.jpg

20210301_071516.jpg

20210301_102934 - Copy.jpg

gun#19Lakefield64B1.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I didn't anticipate the need or desire to show the before and after photos, so I didn't document/identify most of my photos. However, here are a few that I remember working on. (The two unfinished stocks were Winchester 100's and I remember them because I had to replace a recalled firing pin and it took some time and effort to get the replacements.) In any case, from this point on, the photos will be from guns that I'm currently working on. Please be patient.

View attachment 137383

View attachment 137384

View attachment 137385

View attachment 137386

View attachment 137387

View attachment 137388

View attachment 137389

View attachment 137391
You are have fun EFA.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom