Region D

There are a few out there, but by no means a lot. There are too many hunters. I have hunted the region for 18 years. As in any place, glassing is the key. I hunt the full 14 days every year. Except this year, I drew a Utah deer tag, so I will only be hunting 7 days. In my experience, there are not alot of 140-160" deer. There are not a lot of bucks period. I have been fortunate to harvest 4 deer that scored over 170", with the biggest being 200". The last two years, I have only seen two bucks that would go over 170". One was too far away, and gone before I got there, and the other was a blown stock. Not very good for hunting a total of 28 days. If the areas were limited quota, I think it would be some of the best deer hunting in the state.

I hunted the north edge of the Shirley Mountains a few years ago .I scouted for the two days before season and only saw two small fork horn deer and I believe they were shot the first morning of the season ,for I saw two small fork horns hanging at a camp about a half mile from mine.
Just thinking about next year hunt.

Rem308, I can't figure how to pm you. If you give me you email I will send you some information on some other areas that have good deer.

there are over the past 4 years between my dad son and I we have harvested good four points each year nothing huge dad got one 29 inches the rest have been 24-26 inches nice bucks tall some heavy some not but all good bucks the key is spend eneough time and dont shoot the little ones watch for snow the morning after the first snow you want to be there ,, the bucks will be

Hi everyone I recently joined the forum because I read the concern about Region D. My Dad, Friend and I are headed out this fall for a week of hunting on our own. I have been out there 2 times before and was successful both times, with a guide. In our research we have figured out where we are going to concentrate on hunting and camping. We also have a couple of back up spots in mind in case something does not work out. Our plan is to hike in 3-5 miles depending on what we are seeing.

My question is has something drastically changed since 2003? Also, when I spoke to the Game and Fish they told me that winter kill was worse further west and D was not as affected. My friend also has an Antelope tag for 46-2 so we area going to spend at least a day up there with him but our main goal is not to be driving around all the time with gas being what it is. We are planning on hunting on foot from camp.

I am not looking for any areas just what has changed in your opinion.

Thanks
Brian

From what I have heard,the winter kill was worse farther west like you said. I don't think anything alse has changed from 2003.As hunting goes some years it is better than others. Good Luck !

Thanks Rem308,

I figure if we put in the effort we should find some deer. The main goal is to get my dad and friend a deer before myself since my dad did not fill his tag in 03 and this is my friends first trip.

Good Luck this year

cant figure out how to reply to the pm my direct e-mail is andykifer@yahoo drop me a note there and i will give you some good idea's

I've got some more questions about region D if anyone has some knowledge of the area please pm me. Don't want specifics just some general questions.
Thanks,
Jessica

Has anyone scouted the area recently? How do the deer numbers look? Has the weather there been cooler than normal lately?

weathers been about normal and the deer did not get hit as hard on the east side of the Snowy's as the west this spring. It was 23? at keystone this morning. nothing new about that.

deer look good and are a plenty most good bucks are still way up high should come down with the weather and hopefully snow blue grouse were everywere fun hunt ... should be a good one

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-08 AT 06:42AM (MST)[p] no deer left in D all been shot and died of cwd.{just kiddin}
well in my spot they have.
1st day in my best spot only reveled 8 bucks the larges a small 3x3.
i'd like to find that calender that the deer have that shows them what day is opening day and change the dates.

From what I have heard from some guys returning from thre hunt,it was the worst deer hunt that they have been on as far as deer numbers and quallity.5 hunters took one small buck in 6 days of hunting,pretty poor.

Gotcha. I leave Monday and I can't wait! I feel like I am a kid again waiting for Christmas to come!! The weather in my area of California is changing...getting colder. If I close my eyes, I can picture myself on the Wyoming prairie chasing goats. The cold, crisp breeze on my face and my fingertips can put me there in a heartbeat.

Steve

Three of us returned Friday from Region D. We ended up with 1 small 2pt and the same guy also filled his Antelope tag. Dad and I never had a good opportunity on any bucks. We only saw 3 other bucks and at least 2 of them were 2pts and the other could not have been much bigger, maybe 12 inches wide. The owners of the place we stayed told us that it was the worst they have ever seen and they shot a 2pt and spike. The game warden checked my friend at noon on saturday and told him that his was the first buck he found that day. I ended up seeing more bull moose, 5, than bucks. By all accounts it was very tough hunting with a lot of pressure and it still was tough when I got away from the roads. I believe I also saw more elk than deer overall. Hopefully a mild winter will help the deer rebound. Good Luck everyone

I got back from D last night. We have some private ground there that we lease. The hunting was very good. We saw 12- 15 bucks per day and the three hunters all shot solid bucks. One was 28, one 25.5 and one was just under 22. The 25 incher was the best deer; good mass and deep forks.

I did not feel the winter affected the deer in our country at all. Numbers were the same. We did not see some of the biggest bucks we saw while scouting, but as Mosey noted, those big guys seem to know the opening day and go underground. The antelope quality has been very good. So far, we've shot 9 goats and they are all pretty good. Two were over 80 and several others right up there.

The biggest factor was the weather. Warm with strong winds. But that is the nature of the area we hunt.

Good luck to all.

I've been watching the weather and it will be a little warm where we're heading. Low to mid 60's is not what we wanted but at least we won't be rained on. We were hoping for a little snow but that came last week and none in the forecast. Leavin' tomorrow at 7 or so. We'll drive to Evanston and stay the night there. We usually go clear to Rock Springs but with all the oil development there, the hotels were outrageously priced. We'll get to the ranch by noon or so, BS with the landowner for an hour or two, unpack our stuff, go sight in and be hunting by 4 if things go as planned. Good luck to all of you on the 15th!!

Steve

My group did pretty good in Region D. I killed a 24 " 5x5 , while another one got a real nice 4x3, a big fork horn was also shot. My brother passed on a few deer. The total number of deer seen was low, due to the warm weather and the hard winter the previous year. We hunted all public ground. By the way, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and advice on the area, it helped me harvest my biggest buck ever!!!

Region D hunt a Major BUST!!!! This was the worst year we have ever had, hunted 3 hard days, my dad shot a little 3x4 and that was the only buck we saw the whole time! Usually you can always count on filling your tag in the last hour with what ever you want, but not this year, my grandpa has been hunting around saratoga for 23 years and says that he has only seen the deer herds in worst shape one time over those years. We ended coming home early so my dad could try to fill his utah full elk tag, and it was the right decision, he shot his bull last night. Is anybody that hunted the early units and didn't fill planning on going back to the late units, i am let me know how you do!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom