Region F (So Far)

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
The Big Plus here is G&F listened and actually had check stations on the Chief Joseph Highway to cover the Sunlight/Crandall deer, elk, sheep, goats and moose units. They also had a check station in Clark for the 5 day lowland season in 105 and Elk Unit 54-2.

The weather brought lots of early snow and low temperatures. On October 11th, I was hunting the Sunlight with temps at 5 below and a foot of snow. I saw a single mature buck in 106 that day. He got a pass. After that, all I saw was does, fawns and numerous yearling mule deer bucks. I called the young mule deer bucks the "resurrection deer". These are the deer that had allegedly died in the claimed winter kills in the previous two years.

On the last weekend of the general deer hunt in Sunlight/Crandall, I was told by G&F that they checked 12 bucks that weekend. Of the 12 bucks checked, 11 of those bucks were yearlings. I heard that only 20 mule deer bucks were checked for the six days the check station was open ending October 24th. Based on my observations, I believe few mature mule deer bucks were harvested in 106. The only question is was the low mature buck harvest the result of winterkill, CWD, poor habitat, lack of leafy browse, predation or the fact the season closed before the usual migration of mule deer from YNP. I have been asked to accompany G&F on their deer counts in late November. Counts are great but if there is a decline they don't show the cause of that decline.

Fast forward to those units on the North Fork of the Shoshone River. That deer season closed November 3rd. For a very long time, those seasons had always run through the 10th of November. Again, the weather was conducive to deer migration. I saw lots of mule deer does with two fawns. I also saw numerous bighorn rams and elk. I saw a total of two bucks. Only one buck was a legal buck and I killed him on the 1st day of November. He was chubby and in good shape. He was the smallest buck I have harvested in the last 15 years in Park County. I heard very little gunfire in these units. I talked to numerous NR and resident hunters who wondered where all the bucks had gone. I ran into a young local couple who had seen only a single legal buck after some hard hunting. Most of these people were angry. I saw numerous outfitted hunters on horseback hitting all the usual spots. I did not see a single buck in a packsaddle. I know of at least one outfitter that had limited success by hunting deep into the South Fork country.

I ran into a kid at church who shot a 170 buck in the North Fork in the last days of the season. It was a dandy. I can tell you that as off last Friday evening, there were very few mule deer in the Wapiti hay fields. There was a large group of elk in those same hayfields. That may or may not mean a thing. Because of the harsh winter weather in the backcountry in October, I realized that the length of the days plays a much larger factor in mule deer migration than does snow and or cold weather. That is just my observation.

I am encouraged that there was actual harvest data being collected for a change. I suspect that harvest in 106 may be way down from counts in 2016 and 2017. The same will likely be true on the North Fork of the Shoshone units. If harvest is down, what is the cause? Is it a lack of bucks for whatever reason or is it the result of the shortened seasons. I can tell you of all the bucks I have taken in 106 only 3 of the many harvested were taken before the 24th. On the North Fork of the Shoshone, me or the guys accompanying me have only taken two deer prior to the new November closing date. I believe that we have taken at least 10 bucks between the 3rd and the 10th in that area.

What will be the result of all this? I really don't know. I would love to hear from others who hunted these units as residents or NR with the F general tag. I can tell you that G&F sold 650 F Tags. I can also tell you that G&F personnel all insist that they are giving opportunity to those deer hunters. I can also tell you that I ran into a couple of G&F employees who are openly critical of the season changes made in 2019.

just---sayin mh

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19 AT 12:02?PM (MST)

Here is my problem with these local game wardens. They do a change and they want to see something happen over night. When we were going to all these meetings i brought up the point system that a buck must have at least 4 points on one side. They went on that they do it and it doesent work. I said well do it for more than a year. Like try 5 years and look at the change. You cant say nothing to these game wardens. They get on the defense as soon as you call them out. A point system will not work you apply it for one year then take away for 5 years then back for a year.... also these game wardens are corrupted. Some civilians around here have total control on how things are said and done

They need to do something with lions. I know a lot of lion hunters. The ones i know pass on several kittys. They look for that world record Tom. Its unreal how many cats they tree and compared to what the game and fish think they have... also when the wolves got thick a lot of mule deer came into the hay feilds. Well road kill went through the roof. These deer learned hey not much for preadtors down low and good food.

Im just glad im whitetail hunter so i dont have to deal with the disastrous changes.

Good luck to anyone that hunted those untits cause as you know you need more than luck.

I haven't hunted f for years due to the lack of deer during the season dates. My last buck was a 4pt that scored about 125?, which was shot in the low land. It?ll be interesting to see what the results of the surveys show.

Mighty I do have a question for you though. What do you think of the current elk season structure in 51-1? Does a non resident have a realistic shot at getting into elk, non wilderness, during the season? Im curious because I have the appropriate amount of points to draw. Sunlight is quite possibly the prettiest valley that I've ever stepped foot in. Pms are fine.

Spent a few days in F this fall with friends. Passed a couple smaller 4pts. A couple big ones 170+ have come out but quite a few younger bucks. If the next 2-3 winters are ok it will bounce back.

Assuming F bounces back, how many of you think the G&F will return the seasons to what they were in 2018 and before?

just sayin...mh

Dave

I hope you accompany the G&F on those counts. By doing so, you can eliminate the "he said/they said" aspect of this.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-19 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]>Assuming F bounces back, how many
>of you think the G&F
>will return the seasons to
>what they were in 2018
>and before?
>
>just sayin...mh

Going to get worst before it gets better. Here is my issue. You and i sat side by side at this meeting. We all raised our concerns. To our faces they told us they wont do this or that and they turn around and did this and that. I dont see any good changes happeneing for a long time
Not trying to be negative but until they get rid of a certain someone we are screwed. You know who that someone is.

The wife and I hunted F the first week of October. In 8 days of hard hunting in both 105 and 106, we found 2 mature mule bucks. 1 of the 2 was a great buck. We saw lots of 1 1/2 year olds and a few 2 year olds. My wife bagged a 1 year old and I settled on a doe whitetail the final morning. I saw one smaller 4 point taken by another party. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the hunt, especially considering we had great weather to get animals out and moving.

Hunted the last two weeks of the October general season. Was exclusively in 105-106.
Saw very few deer at all compared to what I have in the past. But, on the 21 and the 22nd, I did see some large groups of does and fawns moving along the Clark's Fork, heading East down river.
Saw a total of only six bucks and they were all yearlings.

Maybe another few days would have turned up more bucks, and maybe some decent one's, and maybe not.
I personally would like to have been able to hunt up to Nov. 1st to see.
But with the season dates as they are it's kinda feeling like a bad gamble to buy an F tag and hope some good bucks wander through before you run out of time.
There was honestly less elk roaming around either than I saw sighn of before.
Seem to be an awfully lot of coyotes in the thick areas along the river and Creek bottoms too.
Unfortunately in places too thick to call and hunt them.
The grass was surprisingly still very green up high. Seem to be more moisture in the grounds all over the place. I seem to think there was sure no lack of food or habitat in the area.

We saw a lot of coyotes as well. A few every day. We also saw several grizzlys and heard wolves on several evenings. Lots of predation taking place. We did see a fair amount of elk, but lots of hunters also.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-19 AT 04:53PM (MST)[p]I saw only a handful of wolf tracks. Even less grizzly sighn.
Only saw two other hunters near the road. Never saw a hunter any place out hunting.
Did see a very large male lion.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom