Region G advice

buckmster28

Looking into burning my wyoming points this year from everything Ive read region G seems to fit my style of hunting but I have spent zero time in the area. I dont expect to have super success my first go but maybe learn a little for the next time I draw. Would like to go up high in the early part of the season, Is there plenty of land to hunt outside wilderness areas as being a nonresident I wont be able to go unguided into wilderness or am I wasting my time here without going into the wilderness? Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone wants to share some general areas to start looking, not looking for GPS cooridinates just areas to hike into to get away from crowds a little. Feel free to PM me and would share info for any spots Ive hunted in the past.

Thanks

There is tremendous amounts of country to hunt. Get in shape though, it's big country.

I backpack in and stay for a few days. Saves the wear and tear of hiking in and out.

Lots of trails, canyons, etc.......Like a friend of mine told me when I was asking him for advice on where to go. Mind you this friend has killed more big bucks in that area than any other person I know of. He told me, there are big bucks in every canyon. You just gotta find them. It's basically true. If you live far away and can't get out there, check it out on Google Earth, that'll give you a head start.

There's basically one main road that will dissect the salt river range and the wyoming range. It runs from Alpine, Wyoming south for 70+ miles. Many trailheads break off of this main road. There are a few roads that will go here and there. But this is the main artery in and out of that country.

Good luck, that is my favorite tag to draw. I'm hoping to hunt there this coming fall. I helped a buddy kill a nice buck, and we saw several others, including a big pig. Gotta get lucky in the draw though.

Sounds like a blast, im in decent shape dont think i will have a problem there. Used to pack in hunts for blacktails but all of our pack in ground is wilderness so there must be plenty of groung in G with pack in trails outside of the wilderness areas im assuming. Are the roads good enough to haul a small camp trailer to trail heads and pack in for a day or two and use as a base camp or should a guy pack a wall tent or something to trail heads?

You can pull a small camper up greys river road. Steep beautiful country, most of G is not wilderness. Hunt high and use good optics.
[font face="verdana" color="green"]swensenoutdoors[/font][/p]

Plenty of area that is not wilderness. It is really hard to get away from people though. I hunted there last year and I saw more hunters than on any hunt in my life by far. I hiked in 7 miles and I counted 42 other hunters in the area. I then went to my backup area and hiked in 6.5 miles and counted 52 hunters in that area. Area G has been hyped up the last few years and it is an over the counter tag for residents so a large percentage of residents go there when the magazines say it is good. over 90% of the hunters I saw were Wyoming Residents as where 10 years ago I saw a lot less hunters and most of the hunters were non-residents. There are some good bucks in G and your best bet is to scout really hard and find them before the season starts and then hope you get a shot opening morning.

42 & 52 hunters that far in? You must have either hiked over the top and back to a main road or you just did a big loop back to the Greys River road.

Yes it's busy but not that busy.

To the OP. Go for it, get up high, glass hard and have a great hunt.

scouting is not really an option this whole trip I guess could be considered a scouting trip, but killing a good buck is always the objective. I am all ears if some one has a better less crowded unit to hunt, I agree magazines have hyped it up the last few years which is probably where I have been hearing about it as well and of course you see all the pics that guys like NTO put out. This would be a good year for me as I don't expect to draw anything elsewhere and being it seemed like it was a physical hunt that glassing was key to success, it really suits my style of hunting. I do hate crowds but I also realize its OTC for residents so I expect to see people, I hunt the back country at home quit a bit and seems like there are a lot less people but there are always a few. My plan would be set up a camp or trailer by a trailhead and pack in on overnight trips to different areas until I find what I am looking for, might even need to try different trailheads don't really know.

Great hunt. Pack in and stay high. Like stated it will have others in the unit. Limited entry unit for non residence (4-5 points), but residence can hunt it every year with a OTC tag. Great benifit for them and I do not blame them a bit. Right now G is probably the best unit in the state!!! However, there is good deer there for a reason (terrain).

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-15 AT 04:54PM (MST)[p]Buckmaster,

Scouting is a major advantage to finding those top tier bucks but I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't. There is no reason to use the tag as a scouting opportunity, just go hunt. If you keep at it and work hard enough you'll find a buck you'll like.
Yes, you can use you camper as a base camp but I wouldn't plan on even using it...well maybe for a shower and a cold beer after a successful hunt:). There's camp spots litterally everywhere and you can pick any trailhead you like, or better yet take the pass less traveled.

Another great option would be to arrive a few days before the opener and try and locate a buck for opening morning...lots of guys do it this way!
Since you can't scout I would; 1- get up on the ridges. 2- stay up on the ridges (day and night). 3- glass, glass, glass! 4- if you don't like what you see move camp a ridge or two and 5- repeat steps 2, ***3***!, 4.

If you haven't yet?, go to the HAC section and watch founders videos from last season and you'll be able to see the type of bucks you'll be chasing and the
terrain they live in.

Edit. The reason the magazines "hype" it up is because all the limited quota units suck! Yes, a few units can produce big deer and there are big $$ ranches that can have them as well but over all Wyoming is in a major downhill slump when it comes to big public land mule deer and it's not getting any better anytime soon. G especially and H second are a hunters best bet a big Wyoming buck with Wyomings' current deer situation. As a resident who lives, camps, fishes, and hunts smack dab in the center of G I hate seeing more and more guys hunting it every year (unlimited residents) and all the talk about how great the area is (call me selfish), it's not great but its a beautiful place and the best we have right now.

Sounds like dragging a trailer may be a waste could get around a lot easier without it. Sounds like great country a little worried now about the draw as i have 7 points and my buddy has 1 so hopefully 4 will draw it we will see. Definatly gonna hunt as hard as we can if we draw and we both look for the same quality deer something interesting usually 170+ will get us to pull the trigger and I know that country holds this type of deer so we will see if we cant locate one or two.

If you party with your buddy and go in with only 4PPs for G, you probably won't have a real good chance to draw it this year in the Regular Draw based on last year's odds.

>What about the special draw?

3PPs was 98.92% draw and <4PPs was 100% in that draw. Have your buddy pony up some money since you're giving him 3 of your PPs in the draw, put in for the Special, and go hunting for sure!

Look at Google earth. There are a lot of high basins and canyons that don't get hunted because they are bloody fool steep AND they are close to roads. Getting into them is a challenge. Getting a deer out could be a nightmare. Hiking in 8 or 10 miles is fine, but unless you are heading into country that horses can't access, you will likely find others there to meet you.

Think small. Small basins with a little open, a lot of cover, maybe ribbon cliffs at the top. Might only be one or two in there... Or, as stated, get up high and cover a lot of country with your glass. With Google earth, you can find areas where you can glass into several drainages/basins without moving about too much. Glass throughout the day. You will find bucks bedded down in the trees and they get up periodically to stretch and move as the sun moves around.

If I were young and didn't have back problems relative to packing (though hopefully the goats will take care of that). I would hunt with my camp on my back.

region H has less hunters and is easier to draw than G. It has comparable bucks to G but there is more wilderness area in H.

>region H has less hunters and
>is easier to draw than
>G. It has comparable
>bucks to G but there
>is more wilderness area

Where specifically does H have less hunters than G? If you're refering to any units east or west of Hoback junction or, north or south of Bondurant than I beg to differ. There are a few small areas that have less hunters but they also have far less deer than your average G area. I've killed more nice bucks in H than G but that's only because while elk hunting I've learned a few places that deer hunters hardly venture. Yes H is easier to draw, but that's for a few reasons, G is still far better than H.

Biggest Challenge to hunting Region G in my opinion is finding and picking a spot to hunt. It's huge vast mountain country. The best I've ever been in. There's so many options, and that's the good thing, and challenging thing at the same time.

Pick a couple of spots and go check them out, scout them if you can and give them a go. Regardless of what the hype would lead you to believe, finding and harvesting a trophy class buck in G is a tall task.

Good Luck to you and have fun.

"Regardless of what the hype would lead you to believe, finding and harvesting a trophy class buck in G is a tall task."

I think this is a good point for any area. G has good bucks, but a trophy class animal isn't going to come easy, in any area.

I have hunted both areas and from my experience I have always seen fewer hunters in H. Other people may of had a different experience But I saw more hunters last year in G on the opener than I have ever seen on the general season opener in Utah.

Region H has 200 more nonres tags than G. I hunted G for the first time last year. And I didn't see any more hunters than I usually do in H. But Like stated before don't let all the hype make ya believe big bucks are easy!!! gotta work for them. I have seen awesome specimens of big bucks from both G and H last year. Go hunt hard and have a game plan where ya want to go. Look at all the maps ya want and google earth, and learn the area the best ya can from these resources if not possible to make a scouting trip!!!!

Was thinking about trying to get packed in, i have horses but dont want to drag them all the way there just think it would be easier to hire outfitter just to pack in camp and pack back out. Was gonna do with backpacks like at home but seems a little tough especially for a week long hunt and dont really want to rent horses as would have to take care of them the whole time. Does anyone know of a good outfit that they would recommend for this.

I don't have any packer info for you, sorry.
But, I do a week long backpack trip every year in the high country of G. The biggest issue is making sure you have a good water source, I usually pack a bunch in during the summer.
When I kill a buck I pack out the meat ASAP and then make another trip in, in a day or so to get camp out...works great for me and my style of hunting.

I pack into the wilderness here at home several times a year but usually always weekend trips maybe three days max so i dont need as much stuff or food was just thinking if I used a packer I could pack in more luxurys and better food, im not opposed to the camp on my back style just think if i were more comfortable i would hunt harder and longer, not to mention if we do happen to take two bucks would be able to come out one trip.

Greys River Trophies, Jackson Hole Outfitters and Nontypical outfitters are the three main outfitters in the Greys river area.

I don't know if they will pack you in but they might be worth talking to.

I would probably start with Greys River Trophies.

REREAD EVERYTHING WYOBACKCOUNTRY WROTE, HE IS SPOT ON . I HUNTED G A COUPLE YRS AGO AND HAD THE LUXURY OF LIVING NEAR THE UNIT SO I PROBALY SCOUTED IT MINUMUM 10 TIMES . I SAW SOME VERY NICE BUCKS IN THOSE SCOUTING TRIPS AND A COUPLE SEVERAL TIMES. I FOUND BUCKS IN AREAS NEAR THE ROAD THAT SHOCKED ME. I WAS A FOOT SOLDIER ON THAT HUNT. I AM OLDER AND HEAVIER THAN I SHOULD BE , BUT THAT DIDNOT DETER ME. I PASSED BUCKS THAT I WOULD HAVE PUT ON THE WALL. I HAD MY HEART SET ON 2 BUCKS AND I HUNTED THEM . THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE WAS NOT BEING IN SHOOTING POSITION AS THE SUN CAME UP ON THE OPENER. REREAD THE LAST SENTENCE. MY ADVICE IS THE SAME, PLAN HUNT AROUND KILLING ON THE OPENER. SPEND 5 DAYS BEFORE THE OPENER PICKING THE BUCK AND HOW YOU CAN GET IN RANGE AND NOT BUMP HIM DURING THE NIGHT. NO FIRES NO STINK NO NOISE THESE ARE ALL GAME CHANGERS. I ATE TAG SOUP... BUT HAD A SUCCESSFUL HUNT . I LEARNED ALOT AND I WILL RETURN A LITTLE LIGHTER AND WISER. THAT GROUND IS STEEP ENOUGH THAT YOUR HAND IS IN THE DIRT OFTEN.

I'm no expert, heck compared to what some guys take, my bucks are dinks. But, I'm passionate about backpack hunting high country muleys in Wyoming's regions H and more specifically G. When I was 18 I packed a backpack full of clothes and moved from Salt Lake to Jackson and then a few years later to Alpine, fast forward 12 years and I'm dug in deep like a tick where the sun don't shine and I'm not leaving until I physically can't make it into the high country anymore and at that point in my life (hopefully) I'm cashing in all my chips and moving to the coast to start a new life of fishing and gathering whatever kind of delicious critters I can find in the sea. Until then I spend about every weekend all spring, summer, and fall up the Greys and more specifically, come September I spend my time between 9,000 and 11,000'. Yes there's bucks from the bottom to the top but me personally, I prefer the solitude, the altitude, and having to work for mine.

If I was in your shoes here's what I'd do if I was going at it DIY.
-I'd start with maps, Google earth, or both. Pick a high 10-11k' peak or ridge that's only accessible from one side...Greys, Salt, Pinedale side, wherever, and try and stay away from pack trails. Make sure it has secondary ridges that drop off into timber or cliff country. After day 1 you'll find your bucks using the secondary ridges.
-figure out a water source; spring, lake, creek and plan on starting around that.
-if at all possible, scout. Even if it's just a weekend driving through, get yourself familiar with the topography.
-if scouting is absolutely not an option make sure you show up a few days early to get up high and have a few bucks picked out for opening morning.
-If you don't see what your looking for after a day or two of honest effort/glassing then move a few ridges. (At first you'll find the bucks in the wide open above timberline but after opening day your best bucks and most of the bucks will drop down into mixed timber/cliff/Avalanche shoot type canyons and bowls and will spend less time in the open every day.)
-I'd use the camp trailer as a home base for restocking or meat storage but I would do everything possible to not stay there (unless you feel like spending extra hours every day hiking in/out IN THE DARK)...any time spent there is time wasted!
-head up to your pre selected drainage and set up camp. Like stated before, be quiet, be scent free, be bear aware.
-glass all day long! I'm talking from morning dark 'till dark 30 at night. I find as many bucks bedded in timber in mid day as I do at sun up. When you get tired of glassing move a few hundred yards and start over.
-you will see guys the first few days especially but you should also see plenty of bucks. Pressure tapers off every day.

A few final thoughts...

Things will get tougher with every day that passes, at least for the first half of the season. With the second half of the season the weather can be a lot worse (colder, snow) but also the crowds will clear out and the bucks will start to come out of hiding to feed in the open again.

Treat it like a sheep hunt, seriously! If you find the bighorns or the mountain goats you're looking in the right areas.

Watch out for lightning up there! I've had to literally run thousands of feet down the mountain and head home in the middle of the night because you could feel/hear the electricity just buzzing in the air with dozens of cloud to ground strikes all around. After returning to camp the next day you could see that most of the surrounding ridges had small lightning fires burning on them. It's scary stuff!!

Have fun, be safe, and kill a big one!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom