Region G and H idea

mulecreek

Very Active Member
Rather than hijacking the Mule Deer crisis thread I thought I would start my own. I have an idea I have been thinking of for a while and I am curious to see what others think of it.

For Region G and H, leave it a resident gen tag with unlimited tag numbers. Leave the NR tag numbers at the level they are. However, make it archery only. No rifles, no muzzy. Antlered deer only. Continue to start the season on September 1 but run it through Oct 14. In addition have 20 or so LQ rifle tags that run from Oct 15 - November 20. The application fee for this tag is the same as the cost of a general license. If a person even applies for this LQ tag, regardless of whether they draw or not, they cannot purchase a gen deer tag in Wyo. Leave the 3 pnt or better status for as long as the Bio's think it is necessary. Leave the current youth only rifle hunt for does but nothing bigger than a 2 point buck.

My thoughts are that this idea provides great opportunity for resident hunters, something we very much want. Longer archery season will help spread hunter pressure around. Decreased harvest percentage of archery equipment should improve trophy quality. States sporting goods stores might even sell a few more bows. Provides youth opportunity, something that many think we need, without requiring parents to buy their kids a bow. I am also completely confident that kids are not going to kill every forked horn on the mountain so we should have solid younger buck recruitment. Doesn't require anyone to remove their scope or buy a muzzleloader. Modern muzzies are easily a 300-400 single shot anyway. Those that are dead set on having a high success percentage trophy rifle tag can have that opportunity while not being able to fall back with a gen tag and the G&F will still get the same revenue due to the higher application fee.

Personally, I think it is an awesome idea. I also think all of my ideas are good so please let me know what you think.

Here is how I think the season should be:

Long ranger shooters = 0 days

Selfie taking, social media, lifted up truck, kuiu sucking d bags : 2 day season

Youth: 4 days

Outfitters clients: 5 day season

Rest of hunters: 8 days.

Some of these seasons will overlap. Except the selfie season. No one wants to be in the hills with those guys.

I know this is different approach to management but its easier to manage people than animals.

I think you could give the selfie flat brimmer instafamous crowd a few more days. They lose prime hunting hours taking selfies.

So the first issue is that some can not agree on is that we need to make major changes. On the flip side, nearly everybody thinks the grass is greener on the other side. With that being said, I feel that Wyoming can modify a ton of different things in order to improve hunting. All of those items do not necessarily mean that we need to limit opportunity.

Not familar with the unit you mentioned, but the areas where I hunt the largest issue is the relentless ATV use and the surplus amount of legal roads mixed with tons of illegal trails and ATV use. This formula is killer on the deer who are getting ran almost nonstop the entire rifle season. In the area I hunt the walk in areas are so limited that they are crowded with guys who actually hike in, and the rest of the unit has roads legal or illegal in every canyon bottom, on every ridge etc. Strategically designed roadless areas would provide the deer much needs escape routes etc.

In the high country units this may not be as big of a deal. But in most general units it is a huge deal.

For the high country hunts, maybe cut the seasons shorter and then offer a small percent of extended season tags that force people into a set situation.

>Selfie taking, social media, lifted up
>truck, kuiu sucking d bags
>: 2 day season

I have never taken a selfie, I don't have a facebook, instrgram, snapchat, etc account and my truck is a 2008 stock from the factory unmodified GMC. However, I do own a Kuiu shirt and pair of gloves. Would my season be prorated or am I stuck with 2 days?

Geeeeesh, archery only for the most part and you still want to keep non-residents to an absolute minimum?!?!
Mine, mine, me, mine, me, it's all me and my tags and my deer that belong to me cause I live in the state...... LOL

Come on, you could give us non-residents a few more tags.

I'm just razzzing you. Your idea would never happen, but if it did there would be a lot of monster bucks dropping antlers every winter, then WY residents would be burdened with figuring out how to stop non-residents from picking up "their" antlers. Oh the problems these deer cause.....LOL Still razzzzing. Don't be offended.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-17 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]>Mulecreek
>
>I'm fairly certain you are joking.
>
>
>Right?

Jeff,

I'm about 80% joking. My level of joking is directly proportional to the res/nr LQ tag allocation. We ever get mule deer in wyo changed to 90/10 then I will be 90% joking.

All sarcasm aside, I personally don't think a damn thing needs to be done with region G and H. Not sure why so many say its in crisis or needs large structural changes but they all still hunt it every chance they can. Hell the claim is its been on this dramatic drop over the last 10 years but the draw odds for nr's get crappier every year. Why are so many putting in for such a crappy tag?

My ideas came about from a discussion with a friend who thinks it does need to change. He leaned a lot towards what Robb is pushing for. He is from Utah. We were just playing armchair big game manager and as the discussion progressed I came up with the thoughts I listed above. I see no need to institute them just curious what resident hunters thought of them.

However, the one I do like is the LQ rut tag and its exclusion from getting a gen tag. Maybe make it one tag not 20. Wyoming needs it Antelope Island tag. Look how well that is working for Utah. I think that idea is money!

>Mine, mine, me, mine, me, it's
>all me and my tags
>and my deer that belong
>to me cause I live
>in the state...... LOL
>
>Come on, you could give us
>non-residents a few more tags.
>
>
>I'm just razzzing you.

If you would advocate for an all out ban on any individual monetary gain from big game animals I would advocate for a G tag for Founder every year rule. Deal?

>If it did there would be
>a lot of monster bucks
>dropping antlers every winter, then
>WY residents would be burdened
>with figuring out how to
>stop non-residents from picking up
>"their" antlers. Oh the problems
>these deer cause.....

Shed antler gathering permit for NR $600.00
Season dates- May 1st-June 30th. Problem Solved!

[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake
Swensen

From what I can tell, there are only about 1000 NR tags available for these two areas (~450 in G, ~575 in H).

And from the 2016 Harvest Reports in G, residents killed 3807 bucks while NR's killed 534.

Assuming us NR's are just a bunch of long-range shooters with our bows, and can't hit the broadside of a barn, :D, let's say we're only able to take 10% as many deer. So a reduction of ~450 deer on a harvest of about 4000 is gonna save the herd?

Hmmm. Let me go wiss in the ocean and see if the tide comes in a little higher this time!! :D :D Yes, that's me being a smart @$$.

Seriously, even if you reduce NR harvest by 90% (bow vs. gun), you're still talking of a reduction of about 450 deer on a 4000 deer harvest. IMHO, probably not enough to save the herd. (Disclaimer: I am not a wildlife biologist or a deer reproductive expert, that is just my humble opinion.)

Regarding buying bows, that's gonna be done in my home state. So not spending the money in WY.

(Yea, I recently had foot surgery. So I'm pretty much immobile. And all I can do is sit around trolling the internet and watch football!)

>>If it did there would be
>>a lot of monster bucks
>>dropping antlers every winter, then
>>WY residents would be burdened
>>with figuring out how to
>>stop non-residents from picking up
>>"their" antlers. Oh the problems
>>these deer cause.....
>
>Shed antler gathering permit for NR
>$600.00
>Season dates- May 1st-June 30th. Problem
>Solved!
>
>[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake
>Swensen

And only 550 for transplants!

>From what I can tell, there
>are only about 1000 NR
>tags available for these two
>areas (~450 in G, ~575
>in H).
>
>And from the 2016 Harvest Reports
>in G, residents killed 3807
>bucks while NR's killed 534.
>
>
>Assuming us NR's are just a
>bunch of long-range shooters with
>our bows, and can't hit
>the broadside of a barn,
>:D, let's say we're only
>able to take 10% as
>many deer. So a
>reduction of ~450 deer on
>a harvest of about 4000
>is gonna save the herd?
>
>
>Hmmm. Let me go wiss
>in the ocean and see
>if the tide comes in
>a little higher this time!!
> :D :D Yes,
>that's me being a smart
>@$$.
>
>Seriously, even if you reduce NR
>harvest by 90% (bow vs.
>gun), you're still talking of
>a reduction of about 450
>deer on a 4000 deer
>harvest. IMHO, probably not
>enough to save the herd.
> (Disclaimer: I am
>not a wildlife biologist or
>a deer reproductive expert, that
>is just my humble opinion.)
>
>
>Regarding buying bows, that's gonna be
>done in my home state.
> So not spending the
>money in WY.
>

Archery only would be for all hunters not just for nonres.

Well I wasted my time studying the draw and harvest reports!! Not really, it helped me understand them better.

A quick look at the harvest reports shows about 45% success rate. What would archery-only be? IDK, say 15%. So now you're talking about a reduction in harvest to 1/3 of current. So yes, depending on the total herd numbers, it would likely increase.

>
>>Selfie taking, social media, lifted up
>>truck, kuiu sucking d bags
>>: 2 day season
>
>I have never taken a selfie,
>I don't have a facebook,
>instrgram, snapchat, etc account and
>my truck is a 2008
>stock from the factory unmodified
>GMC. However, I do
>own a Kuiu shirt and
>pair of gloves. Would
>my season be prorated or
>am I stuck with 2
>days?

Could probably do 3 days for you.

If you have any social media account besides tinder its 2 days. Firm.

I propose reducing the nonresident tags in G and H to 0, zip, nada. Increase the resident tag fees to $100 to offset the cost differential. Problemssssss solved.
-Outfitters go out of business!!!! Check
-No more outfitters flying around all summer while I'm trying to find a nice 2x3. Check
-I won't have to get on MM anymore and here how point creep is killing nonresidents. Check
-Won't have to listen to how G and H aren't near as good as Antelope Island. Check
-I will no longer be camo shamed by all the NR wearing their fancy Kuiu and Sitka gear. Check
-No more flatty's. Check
-No more pulling out jacked up Toyotas. Check
-Founder might share the location of a monster with me at a reduced cost. Maybe Check
-Most importantly, after years of being a spoiled resident hunter I might finally be able to connect with a nice 150" 4x4.

^^^^ I like it. But lets give out 1 non res tag and let them all fight for it!

《《《《《《AWESOME》》》》》》

>I propose reducing the nonresident tags
>in G and H to
>0, zip, nada. Increase
>the resident tag fees to
>$100 to offset the cost
>differential. Problemssssss solved.
>-Outfitters go out of business!!!! Check
>
>-No more outfitters flying around all
>summer while I'm trying to
>find a nice 2x3. Check
>
>-I won't have to get on
>MM anymore and here how
>point creep is killing nonresidents.
>Check
>-Won't have to listen to how
>G and H aren't near
>as good as Antelope Island.
>Check
>-I will no longer be camo
>shamed by all the NR
>wearing their fancy Kuiu and
>Sitka gear. Check
>-No more flatty's. Check
>-No more pulling out jacked up
>Toyotas. Check
>-Founder might share the location of
>a monster with me at
>a reduced cost. Maybe Check
>
>-Most importantly, after years of being
>a spoiled resident hunter I
>might finally be able to
>connect with a nice 150"
>4x4.
Yes to all of this!

[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake
Swensen

These ideas are all nonsensical ramblings. Nothing drastic is ever going to happen with the management of that deer herd. The only thing that could bring that herd back to where it needs to be is if it was shut down to hunting for a few years. And that will never happen. So the only way we as hunters can enact any kind of measurable change is to quit hunting these deer on our own accord. Buy a tag to prevent a budgetary shortfall with the G&F and find something else to do with your time. There's plenty of elk and plenty of whitetails around to occupy your time. That's the only solution.

Utards would love a closed season. They could increase tags in the crawfords and poach em down low.

《《《《《《AWESOME》》》》》》

I remember when Utah got over ran with California plates every fall, I feel Wyomings pain. In fairness, most Utah guys drive 4x4, those jackwagon from Cali were slid off everywhere in those 2x2 lowriders.

So. My new truck is an 04' bone stock cummins. I shoot the 06' I got for Xmas at 16 (1989), my hat is a camo one with a construction company on it) and I use rubber bands to train a bend in all hats. Just picked up the nicest camo jacket I own at Kings Outlet, it will look good with my duckies duck pants and construction company t shirt. Plus, I sacrificed my sister to one of you wyoming turds, and they kicked out 3 blonde girls for future turd courtship. Can I come hunt?

In seriousness. I think our future for better or trophy areas is going to be mostly archery. At 43 I just bought a bow, because of this belief.

So, if I buy the Natural Lite you all drink, can I have 5 days?

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>I remember when Utah got
>over ran with California plates
>every fall, I feel Wyomings
>pain. In fairness, most
>Utah guys drive 4x4, those
>jackwagon from Cali were slid
>off everywhere in those 2x2
>lowriders.
>
>So. My new truck is
>an 04' bone stock cummins.
> I shoot the 06'
>I got for Xmas at
>16 (1989), my hat is
>a camo one with a
>construction company on it) and
>I use rubber bands to
>train a bend in all
>hats. Just picked up
>the nicest camo jacket I
>own at Kings Outlet, it
>will look good with my
>duckies duck pants and construction
>company t shirt. Plus,
>I sacrificed my sister to
>one of you wyoming turds,
>and they kicked out 3
>blonde girls for future turd
>courtship. Can I come
>hunt?
>
>In seriousness. I think our
>future for better or trophy
>areas is going to be
>mostly archery. At 43
>I just bought a bow,
>because of this belief.
>
>So, if I buy the Natural
>Lite you all drink, can
>I have 5 days?
>
>
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

How many stickers do u have on the back window?

Short answer, yes you get 5 days!

The tier system needs tweaking but it will factor in family etc.
《《《《《《AWESOME》》》》》》

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom