Region G deer tag

WIhunter4

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]

I drew a region g wyoming deer tag this yr after 8 yrs. I live in Wisconsin so it's very hard to do any scouting. Just looking for some info on some areas to check out that have quality bucks, not looking for anyone's secret spots just areas where we'll see some nice deer.

Gotta love first posts that ask for help put the boots on the ground my man that's the only help I can give ya

Hike up Noneyo Canyon till you get to the top of Notellum ridge. Set it on the big rock near the green tree.
Honestly though after all those years of waiting for that tag a few weeks of preseason scouting would be hardly any time at all to invest.

Haha...funny. I have a full time job that i work every other wknd so i don't have much time to spend with my family let alone travel 20hrs to scout. Just looking for a little info to get started

I know its my first post so it looks bad asking for info right away. I've followed this page for a couple years now. I only get to draw a tag every couple yrs so I'm just trying to get a little info to try and make this trip worth wild. Like i said I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots just some quality areas to check out.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19 AT 10:46PM (MST)[p]Founder will sell you gps coordinates for a small fee, but the odds of you actually killing a deer are very low from what I have been told... What are the odds founder? Wasn't it like 5.99%.

Best advice would be to study maps and pick a trailer head. Hike in and glass until your eyes bleed. You won't be alone. Good luck.

Bought points for 8 years knowing you would eventually draw the tag and never took the time to find a trailhead, canyon or general area to start?

Google earth should be your friend.
or OnxMaps for 29.95 will be a help to ya.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have hunted it many times over the years. I'm happy to help. Shoot me a PM I can get you headed in the right direction.

Backpacking, renting horses, car camping or motel? Those are all very different hunts....best of luck...usually hunting hard and high at peak deer times is the ticket.

Begin your search on those highest ridges in the unit. There are plenty of bucks.
Like someone else mentioned, it's tough to help without knowing your plan. You packing in? Trying to hike in each day?
But regardless of what your plan is, if you're planning to just show up and go hunting, then just head for one of the highest 20 peaks in the unit and you'll find bucks. Maybe you'll even get lucky and find the giant. Who knows?
Scouting is so helpful when it comes to hunting big bucks in such remote places will region G. I know it's tough to travel so far to do it. I know a handful of guys who are in your shoes.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Knowing where a big one is living increases odds of scoring on a big one a lot!!!
And true, even when you know exactly where they live, they're very hard to take. Very hard! Unless you ask some politicians, they'll tell you that it's so so easy. Ha ha
It's hard to get them when you know where they live, but nearly impossible if you don't even know where one lives and just banking on luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-19
>AT 10:46?PM (MST)

>
>Founder will sell you gps coordinates
>for a small fee, but
>the odds of you actually
>killing a deer are very
>low from what I have
>been told... What are the
>odds founder? Wasn't it like
>5.99%.
>
>Best advice would be to study
>maps and pick a trailer
>head. Hike in and glass
>until your eyes bleed. You
>won't be alone. Good luck.
>

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-19 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]
"Bought points for 8 years knowing you would eventually draw the tag and never took the time to find a trailhead, canyon or general area to start?"

"What a bunch of whiners!

Monster Muleys not has taken a huge dive lately."

Hmm, throwing stones there Deepcolor?

It is pretty easy to figure out some good glassing spots on google earth like others have said. The best part about the hunt is just enjoying the beautiful country if you haven't been there before. Don't let these guys discourage you, many never get around to even putting in. Enjoy the research, get in the best shape you can and have fun. I wish I would have started putting in as a non-resident before I did. I have been able to kill a Coues in Arizona and we have been having a great time hunting muleys and pronghorn in Wyoming.

I was going to make a similar post earlier and ask almost the same thing.. Not sure if its worth asking on here lol.. Good luck WIhunter4 I hope you get what your looking for..

The first time I hunted G was nearly 50 years ago. Now I gave hunted so many places in G that it is really hard to decide which spot to try each year. Almost every area has the potential of a monster buck, but not every area has one every year. That is why you have to put in some time checking out some areas, or pay Founder a small fee to do the scouting for you.

If you just want a run of the mill 24"er, almost anyplace well away from the roads and main trails will have some of them.

Don't be discouraged. I also drew this tag after 7 years and I won't have boots on the ground either but every year I hunt different states and rarely have had boots on the ground. I love hunting new areas! I have been in this region before and hunted SE Idaho so know what the terrain is like. Do as much scouting via google earth as possible. My partner and myself stay very mobile and live on the mountain when we hunt. We pack in and move as needed. I feel being mobile on these hunts is important. I also find hotel hunting in units like this is tough same with trailhead camping. I feel you either get beat to your spot or don't get far enough from trails that way. Be in shape and hunt as hard as you can.

Really??? I understand that but have been there and know what the terrain looks like. I have hunted higher and rougher terrain so not too worried.

We are planning on hiking in every day. I'm bringing a smaller tent with incase i get on a big one at dark and need to be there at first light the next morning.

I hunted there last year and found that there were bucks in almost all of the basins I checked. It was a challenging hike in about 5.5 miles and 3k+ in elevation to get to the area. Only saw a handful of other hunters and only one that was hunting the same area for more than a day.

One piece of advice I got that seemed spot on was not to give an area more than 2-3 days before moving on. If you are careful about how you move around (don't walk the tops of ridge lines, don't make a lot of noise, camp out of sight) you will see the bucks in an area within 2-3 days.

If you plan to camp I would recommend that you take some larger collapsible water containers - it is a pain to have to drop down 1000 feet to get water every other day. If you have 5-6 gallons of storage you can drop down once and pack once then hunt 4-5 days.

You will enjoy that hunt, it is one of the most incredible places I've ever hunted. The lack of motorized travel in much of it makes it something special.

Hope you have a great hunt.

Just an old buck I've been seeing for the past 3 years. Same looking antlers every year.

98889d06b1c05a1d6426698b5eac2f0162a57.jpeg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

If you're planning on hiking in everyday you're gonna be sore and beat! Its steep and unforgiving country. I'd plan on hiking in with your camp on your back.
Choose a trail or canyon on google maps and study it til you know it in your sleep. There's good bucks throughout the unit.
Founder said it best get as high as you can and be ready with good optics before the sun comes up.

))))----------->

If you're asking me, I have. I'll attach another pic of an old, heavy stud. He?s no high scoring buck, but a big buck nonetheless. He actually lives in two regions.

>Have you had many chances to
>get out and do much
>scouting in region G this
>year?

8013654d7b7e795d54dd8a2ea9637b2268c4c.jpeg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back