Region G......early or late?

opbuckslayer

Just wondering what every ones take on hunting the opener was? I've been there twice before on the opener but never a week or two later. Is a guy better off waiting for the second week when the pressure dies down or get in there a few days early and try to find a buck to go after the first few days?

All your opinions would be much appreciated.

Unless I plan on hunting an entire season, I always skip the first 4 or 5 days. However, where I hunt the season lasts between 16 and 20 days. Some hunting with a lot shorter seasons probably dont have that luxury of skipping days.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]That's a good question. I'll be interested to see what other guys have to say. In the past, the opener has always been better for us (myself and my family). However, I will say that we've also run into some good bucks later on too. Especially in Region H where it gets hammered on the opener then people loose interest or turn to elk hunting.

Actually you could do both-----

Hunt the last week on the early opener 2 units and then hunt the opener on the the other unit with the later opening hunt date....

All with in the same 10-14 day hunt vacation type deal....

Robb

Definitely the opener if you scout first.I know there is lots of pressure,but if you can find a bomber buck scouting,your best chance at that buck is opening day.Once he figures out season is on,he'll timber up and go nocturnal.Like rugarm77 said though-if you archery hunt,many more of the roads will still be open giving you better access.If you have limited time,I would think hunting later would be a better option.After the opener onslaught is over with,bucks will revert to pre-opener patterns when pressure lifts.By far the most pressure will be the opening few days.Finding a buck that hasn't been pressured on the 2nd day will be tough.Hunting later will also be a more quality hunt,due to lots less people in the high country.I would recommend scouting a few times during the summer to find a buck you want to kill.If you find him,go on the opener.If you can't find one,go later.If you have the time,do both.

nontypical---Sounds like pretty good advice! Incidentally, the archery permit for nonresidents is $30, not $40. A deer PP is $40.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Nontypical, that is the breakdown I was hoping to hear from a few people. Our problem is we are in Wa. state and summer scouting is not possible for us, even though I would love to. We are thinking of scouting the three days before and hunting the opener or going the last week of the season. We have had success on the opening few days in years past but being alone in that country is tempting as well. Not an archer so that doesnt help me either.

Any other advice or info is surely welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Opening day and then the last 5 to the close of the high country hunt. After spending time in the high country 135 is kinda disappointing.

>Opening day and then the last
>5 to the close of
>the high country hunt. After
>spending time in the high
>country 135 is kinda disappointing.
>

I have to agree on 135. I hunted it 2 years ago. No Bueno!!

I would have to agree with nontypical in regards to hunting opening day only if you have scouted, and found a shooter buck. If you don't scout up a nice buck, I would let the crowds clear out and hunt hard later in the season. I spent 6 days in unit 135 last year and it's disappointing to say the least, but then again so is most of G and H now.

I've been told its a zoo back in the Greys just before and the first few days of season. Does anyone have any experience there for the opener the last few year? Starting to re-think the idea of joining the crowds for opening day and enjoy hunting hard in beautiful country by ourselves.

How soon do the masses clear out? After the first weekend?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom