Region G Winter Range

nontypical

Long Time Member
Thought I might give you guys an update on what is going on in region G. On the Region G thread in the mule deer forum, I promised an update as soon as I had some info. Here it is.

This work has already begun and will continue for the next several years( 10 year project). Work extends along the entire LaBarge/Big Piney winter range complex; and is part of the Wyoming Range Mule Deer Initiative. This work is titled the Wyoming Range Mule Deer Habitat Project, and has come about as a result of the WRMDI public meetings hosted by WGF. Agencies involved include: WGFD Trust Fund-Habitat, Wyoming Wildlife Natural Resources Trust Account, Wyoming Landscape Conservation Initiative, Mule Deer Foundation, Wyoming Governor's Big Game License Coalition, WGFD, BLM, and the Muley Fanatic Foundation. WGF has submitted a proposal for funding to MFF for the purchase of a mower for the mowing operations which is presently under review by the Rock Springs chapter of MFF.

Treatments include mowing, aerating, seeding, pitting, Spike and Plateau( both are herbicides), fencing, conifer thinning, and prescribed burns. Special attention was given to locate these treatments in areas that have a high likelihood of success. Transitional as well as winter range areas are being targeted.

2014 plans are to treat 2233 acres of shrubs and aspen in a mosaic pattern; pitting and seeding sagebrush; Plateau application to stimulate mahogany growth; mowing; mechanically prepare aspen for future burning; spraying cheatgrass and other noxious weeds; and cultural clearance( not sure what that means) that may contain soil disturbance.

Pretty extensive work going on here, with a long-range plan in place to improve these winter and transitional ranges. Kudos to all involved.

Thanks for the update Cliff. Sounds like a great effort is going on for the benefit of mule deer.

A few years back in the Casper area, G&F, BLM, the state, local ranchers and sportsman groups came together and did many controlled burns in the Bates Hole area to boost mule deer populations. Unfortunately, only the over objective elk herd has taken advantage of it.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good project. BTW, cultural clearance is looking for Native American sites. Fire rings, burial locations, camp sites, etc.

Great report nontyp!
Thanks to everyone for the efforts .....and money to undertake this extensive project. We will all benefit from it, both hunter and nonhunter alike! (But the wildlife will benefit the most, we hope) We can only hope that those sportsmen who follow will find we did what needed to be done for conservation.
Yes sir, kudos to all those involved!!!!
Zeke

too bad the sagebrush return interval of a fire is 100 years. I know of two different locations threatments have taken place. Not in any of those areas has success come from prescribe burn or sagebrush seeding/spiking. I hope it works this time but im optomistic of this kind of disturbance. Numbers are low not because of habitat.

Much less than 100 years, lost, but unfortunately you are correct that sagebrush is a slow grower. But we have to start somewhere. This project has identified specific areas of concern and will concentrate on those areas, leaving better areas intact for as many years as possible while waiting for the other areas to recover. That is why so many different methods of rejuvenation are being utilized. Too bad this project wasn't started ten years ago. Maybe our children ( and for sure our grandchildren) can reap the rewards of this project. Hopefully the agencies involved have learned by past mistakes and now realize better ways of doing this stuff.

Deer numbers are low for many reasons. This has been discussed to no end. Predators, habitat encroachment, development, yada, yada, yada. It's time for action. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome here. Idle online chat does nothing for mule deer.

Steve-Thanks for clarifying cultural clearance. Thanks to the rest of you for your responses and support.

Sagebrush, depending on the species (Wyoming vs. basin, vs. Mountain big sage), elevation, precipitation, soils, etc., takes anywhere from 30 to 150 years to return to pre-disturbance levels. That's not the point of treating decadent mountain shrub stands, the point is to encourage ?ice cream? type shrubs such as bitterbrush, serviceberry, snowberry and mtn. mahogany, all of which sprout from the base and increase over and above pre-disturbance levels in a very short time-frame. These are the species that mule deer really key on, especially on transition and winter ranges. The point is to turn over portions of the stands which results in juvenile sagebrush and other mountain shrubs which are much higher in nutritional value, palatability, and annual productivity. Sagebrush, aspen, and other mountain shrubs on these seasonal ranges have evolved and existed for tens of thousands of years with disturbance, in most cases wildfire, either lightning or human caused. The mule deer have existed right along with that disturbance and the resulting vegetation changes and recovery. It's necessary and normal, the current state of over-mature and decadent shrub and aspen stands is way outside the norm.

Throughout much of the Wyoming winter habitat, sage-grouse concerns have removed planned and unplanned fire from the toolbox to manage mountain shrub habitat, so other methods such as mowing, pitting, roller-chopping, etc. are necessary to put disturbance back into the system. Unfortunately, these methods are MUCH more expensive than fire, and put a lot more soil disturbance on the ground, requiring the more extensive archeological survey - the cultural clearance costs.

And lastly, habitat loss and conversion has EVERYTHING to do with mule deer declines across the state and the west. When we lose quality habitat, we simply can't sustain mule deer herds at historical levels. It's a fact and it's unavoidable. Habitat quantity and quality influences everything from predator impacts, birth rates and fawn survival, antler growth, conception rates, to hunter success and impacts. Without quality habitat, especially the limiting winter and transitional habitat, we won't be able to grow or even sustain our current mule deer herds, period.

The point above about improving habitat and mule deer herds for our children and grandchildren is very relevant and true. We need to get that through our heads, habitat management is not a short term fix-all that will lead to big bucks behind every tree next season. If all that we're interested in is instant gratification for ourselves, we might as well just kill them all off next season. I want my children and their children to experience quality wildlife herds. I've killed my share and am more than ready to put time, money and effort into improving wildlife for our future generations. Kudos to the folks that are putting the boots on the ground and getting the needed management actions into play.

SouthernWyo

How dare you write such informed information on this site. It is blasphemy....you didn't call anyone stupid or act childish at all. Are you sure you are aware of how MM works?

Just Kiddin everyone...

Good info right there!

PY

Great news, Cliff. Thanks for the good news. Sounds a lot like what we're doing in the Upper North Platte around Saratoga. Keep up the good work and be sure to keep everyone posted.

And I think we all know the reason for mule deer decline is complex. Habitat is one key part, but competition from elk, predators, and yes, even game management have been part of that equation.

Might be best to stick ton congratulating Cliff and the G&F on this one and not get sidetracked on that age-old discussion.

Just an observance I have had. About 4 years ago while we were shed hunting in Southern Utah there was a large area tilled up and I assumed reseeded with sage. This was in a place that the sage was so old and dying and looked really bad the year before.

We returned this march to the area to discover some of the best looking young sage that was probably all ready up to your knees and some cases waist. There was deer sign all over the place it was like a candy store for wintering deer.

There were places in the general area that it looked like they were doing some more of the same type of habitat improvement I hope it has the same success as that one did.

So good things can happen I hope it works for you guys in Wyoming. You have to keep the deer healthy on both summer and winter ranges for them to have a chance against all the other factors that are thrown at them.

No congratulations needed here. I'm merely a bystander.

Good stuff, SouthernWyo.

Sdmuleybuck- Interesting. I know some state agencies across the west have been experimenting with various fertizers to speed up sagebrush growth with great success. Maybe this is what you noticed in Southern Utah. If so, perhaps the same techniques could be employed here in Wyoming.

On another note, MFF has been involved in some predator control efforts in specific areas of deer areas 100,101,131, and 132 for the past 2-3 years. The area 132 project is a study being conducted by the WGFD biologist for the area. 2014 will be the last year for this study. He reports favorable results so far. We will hear the final results from this study before next winter.

In the other 3 areas, MFF has taken it upon ourselves to perform our own coyote removal in specific fawning areas that were recommended by the regional biologist. Last year this crew was able to kill over 100 coyotes in a week of flying. Deer areas 100,101, and 131 have been struggling for the past several years. Our crew has been having a hard time finding coyotes this year. They began flying on Thursday. Whenever they make a kill, they land and age and sex the animal. They also smoke all dens found. This crew carries out coyote removal like it should be done; with no personal agenda other than they want to see the deer herds recover. Work is done with a chopper-not a fixed wing aircraft. The fact that they are not finding many dogs is a good thing...because instead they are seeing a rise in deer numbers.

Take what you want from this, but to me, it could mean that a possible "predator pit" situation is being reversed in these areas due to heavy and timely coyote removal. I'm cautiously optimistic that we could be seeing a turnaround in deer numbers in these areas. Of course, they couldn't get much worse than they have been. Also, one could surmise that the reasons deer numbers are rising could involve many other factors as well. But when you consider the terrible range conditions for the past few years, it becomes more obvious that predator removal is having a profound effect. Time will tell.

I spent 4 days last week up in a G deer unit hiking/filming and I was in shock at the amount of deer I saw every day.

It seemed like they are following the snowline as it greens-up.

Some of the bucks in velvet are already ears wide and most of them had G-1 stubbies growing----

Took me totally by surprise as it was completely different this year than in years past...

Robb

>Whats MFF stand for?

***Muley Fanatic Foundation and it's a good bunch of people dedicated to habitat improvement!

>Robb, I too just spend a
>few days in G and
>H and saw a ton
>of deer. It was
>pretty surprising. Antler growth
>is looking great.

***Great to hear that news!

VERY impressive!---Nice work.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I am back up the week of the 9th of June....

I kinda had an issue with my left knee.....tossed my every 2 weeks plan in the azzzz...

Soooooooooo-----

My Trail Cam's are gonna be loaded for sure!! haha

I got NO problem sharing with any of ya that Draw a 'G' tag come 4 weeks from now.....

Robb

PM sent PleaseDear

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

I'll prolly just post 'em up on a thread instead of sending them out individually....

I don't have them set-up over buck grub or bait or anything like that----

Just set-up........here and there----

thanks for all the PM's....

Robb

Good news all around. Congrats to all involved. Sounds a lot like what we are doing in the Upper North Platte near Saratoga except for the good coyote killing work MFF is doing.

I believe that you may be right Cliff. Once those deer get past that predatory threshold, perhaps they can gain momentum and really increase.

Keep sending good news any time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom