Region G

Sleddenhunter

I’m a resident but I’ve never hunted region g, just close to home. This year I’m taking my wife hunting and I would like some advice on access to get in the high country. Which side is the best to get in there with horses Pinedale or Afton. And if anyone could suggest some trailheads as a start point.

popcorn.gif

I just said g as a general area. Like I said I’ve never hunted the area. There are lots of trail heads in 135,143,144 and 145. Any decent person would then say “ hey try the hoback in 144 or north fork swift creek in 145.” I don’t want your hunting spot I just want a point in the right direction. I just grew up hearing people call the area Region G and the people I know hunt around Cody and the Bighorns. I want to try something new. And thanks for the trails you posted. And I didn’t know about the trailer permit so thanks for that info.

Just pick a high peak and head for it and begin your scouting. There are horse trails all over that country that’ll get you atop those ridges where bucks hangout.
I could tell you dozens of trailheads to ride in at, but you can see many of them on a map. Not all, but many. Just pick one and go.
If you want to be hunting where a big one lives, you’ll probably need to find him before the hunt begins.
Access from Pinedale or Afton is about the same. Good gravel roads.

And I hope you didn’t really buy that trailer permit bit.:)

No I didn’t think a trailer permit was a thing. Thanks for the info I do plan on doing some scouting for sure. Just didn’t want to go completely blind especially with a trailer didn’t want to get in to an area with little to no area to turn around. Thanks again.

There's signage to indicate where most of the trail heads are. Like was said, just pick a spot and go. There's no secrets. It's a matter of positioning yourself correctly to be able to capitalize when a big buck show's himself. Or just getting lucky and bumping into one. It goes both ways for the handful of guys every year who kill a giant buck out of there.

Pick a spot the horses can't climb up. Wade the river halfway between trailheads, and get after it. Slow and steady in dark timber after opening day.

Yeah I plan on getting as high as possible and will try to get away from people. That is one nice thing about non residents they have to get a guide to hunt the wilderness. I’m not a big fan of guides or outfitters. Most of the time the people using them are not hunters and they don’t know how to hunt on foot they are used to a tree stand and a 20yd shot. They come out west and a 100yd shot is hard they wound the animals and move on tho the next. Not all but most. Heard to many horror stories.

You can get up high, but don't fool yourself. There will be people nearly everywhere. It's hard to get away. I'd go to the Greys itself and start from the middle, not the Piney or Afton side.

Look on Google Earth, then figure it'll be about 10 times steeper and more rugged than you think it is and you will be close. Magnificent but rugged country.

For 1000 dollars in unmarked 2 dollar bills I will put an x on the map where @DoubleDropMuley kills all his big bucks. And he’s killed a bunch. Don’t worry double drop we can use the money to get you a caribou...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom